Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
How to see your lifetime nights and points without having to call Marriott: Best way to see your Lifetime points and nights
Print Wikipost

The Race to 2.0MM Points is On!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by getagb

That agent just said if you had qualified in August you’d get the relevant benefits then. My reading of this, which I think is consistent with the website, that chat agent, the mostly pro-consumer spirit of this transition, and the interview with the head of the loyalty program, is that you can qualify for any of the lifetime levels any time between August and end of 2018, and get switched to the new status. You can qualify using the old Marriott LT system, the old Starwood LT system, or using the new unnamed combined system by linking your accounts. I haven’t seen anything to refute this and I would be pretty surprised if I were wrong, because an exception to this should be outlined clearly.
Ok, but even if that's the case, it's unclear whether points from SPG that get merged with Marriott points in August will count as lifetime Marriott points until December. That doesn't seem to written anywhere.

I'm at 650-something nights with Marriott, plus 50-something nights with SPG, so if they combine the nights, I can achieve 750 no problem. But I'm only at about 1.42M points. I'll have around 85k SPG points would turn into 255k Marriott points, which would boost me to about 1.77M points. Perhaps making it from 1.77M to 2M is doable by December, but making it all the way from 1.42M to 2M does not look that way.

Furthermore, the only way from Amex to Marriott seems to be through SPG (unless Amex adds something direct to Marriott come August), at close to 1:1, but again that only matters if SPG points can count toward Marriott lifetime points after August. So if SPG counts toward Marriott lifetime points, someone with a big Amex Membership Rewards stash might be able to do it all with that, but if it doesn't count, then Amex Membership Rewards don't seem to help with this situation.

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 18, 2018 at 7:33 pm
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I have well over 2 million points but only 647 nights, so people like me without have spent more per night are out of luck it appears.

​​​​​​​
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by CMH Flyer2
Purchase Marriott Gift cards using a Marriott Credit card is another option and one I am using to get the last few points I need.

Theoretically you can buy these from Marriott online and have it treated as a Marriott Purchase (earning 5 points per dollar) but a safer strategy in my opinion is to buy them in person at a hotel where they should be no question or issue of getting 5 points per dollar.
I was told that they are no longer selling gift cards at the hotels. I tried to do that this year and they kept telling me that I had to do it online.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Pretzelsandpeanuts
I have well over 2 million points but only 647 nights, so people like me without have spent more per night are out of luck it appears.
I'm in the same boat as you. Thinking about doing a ton of churn on my Marriott card (1 night / $3,000) or having a bunch of off-site work meetings at Marriott (10 nights / meeting)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by CMH Flyer2
I was 96K points short of the 2MM on the day of the announcement. I bought 50,000 points the night of the announcement and have since redeemed 48,000 MR points for 20,000 UA miles, to turn around and transfer them back to Marriott. (I had already transfered 30,000 UA miles earlier in the year). I have a few paid Marriott nights coming up in May and June.

I am planning on buying a $1000 Marriott gift card using a Marriott credit card in May and will try to convert my current Marriott credit card to the Premier card on May 3rd (for the better earning rates).
Please post back about transferring MR points to United and transferring them back. I would like confirmation that it works.

In regards to the Premier vs Premier Plus card, Chase has a FAQ page about it that says bonus points will be offered to convert the Premier to the Premier Plus. I have no idea how many points that might be. That bonus for card conversion should be announced on 5/3.

I also read that Hertz points can be converted to MR points at a ratio of 600 hz to 1000 MR.

Finally, I have sent an email asking about the August 1 vs Dec. 31 dates for grandfathering into lifetime Platinum Premier. I wanted a written answer. I will post when I get a response.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jeanie
In regards to the Premier vs Premier Plus card, Chase has a FAQ page about it that says bonus points will be offered to convert the Premier to the Premier Plus. I have no idea how many points that might be. That bonus for card conversion should be announced on 5/3.

Finally, I have sent an email asking about the August 1 vs Dec. 31 dates for grandfathering into lifetime Platinum Premier. I wanted a written answer. I will post when I get a response.
Thanks for sharing! Definitely interested in what they reply to the second part with...
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM , AS MVPG , MR LTT, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by Safti
I was told that they are no longer selling gift cards at the hotels. I tried to do that this year and they kept telling me that I had to do it online.
This is true, I had the same experience. You'll have to do it on line, although you should still get the bonus to spend for the Marriott CC.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:56 am

Please post back about transferring MR points to United and transferring them back. I would like confirmation that it works.
I've always used this in the past where I would transfer United points to MR (up to 50k per year). It counts towards lifetime.

I also read that Hertz points can be converted to MR points at a ratio of 600 hz to 1000 MR.
This also works as there's an "Exchange My Points" link. 600 Hertz points to 1000 Marriott Rewards points.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by edcho
This also works as there's an "Exchange My Points" link. 600 Hertz points to 1000 Marriott Rewards points.
It seems this is a very poor value. I could exchange 550 points for a one day rental (value $40?), or exchange 600 points for 1000 MR points (value $10?). I calculate the lost value (points value if kept inside the Hertz program, minus the value of the points in the new program) to be around $0.0336/point. This doesn't seem worth it when one considers buying MR points outright can be done for much less. I will likely need 20K points to make the legacy LTPP 2M point threshold. I can buy those points for $250, or $0.0125/point.

Update: The cost of purchasing the MR points is $0.0025/point = $0.0125/point (cost of the point) - $0.01/point (value of the point). This makes it more clear just how much more the Hertz exchange costs, approximately 13 time higher.
edcho likes this.

Last edited by WillTravel4Food; Apr 19, 2018 at 9:12 am Reason: Added update to show cost comparison.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM , AS MVPG , MR LTT, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
It seems this is a very poor value. I could exchange 550 points for a one day rental (value $40?), or exchange 600 points for 1000 MR points (value $10?). I calculate the lost value (points value if kept inside the Hertz program, minus the value of the points in the new program) to be around $0.0336/point. This doesn't seem worth it when one considers buying MR points outright can be done for much less. I will likely need 20K points to make the legacy LTPP 2M point threshold. I can buy those points for $250, or $0.0125/point.
I agree with your value analysis, but you are limited to buying only 50K points/yr. If someone needs more to reach 2MM, then they will have to buy points AND do the type of things shown in the other posts.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold, DL Medallion, MR Plat
Can you confirm that the transferred UA miles counted as Lifetime points?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: DL PM/1 MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by Major G
Please add to the list:
1. Buy 50k points from Marriott.
2. Get 50k points gifted to you from a spouse's account.
3. Get the 75K offered with the Chase CC. Probably impossible to churn this with the Chase rules.
4. Convert 50K UA miles into Marriott points.
5. Find a way to spend like crazy on the Marriott CC.
6. ???
Do points earned through the Marriott Rewards MORE site count towards Lifetime status?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by TWToKM
Do points earned through the Marriott Rewards MORE site count towards Lifetime status?
Yes
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food

Update: The cost of purchasing the MR points is $0.0025/point = $0.0125/point (cost of the point) - $0.01/point (value of the point). This makes it more clear just how much more the Hertz exchange costs, approximately 13 time higher.
Thanks for doing the math on the "value", though it is a bit subjective. I typically have WAY more Hertz points than I would ever use. I really only use them for an occasional 1-way rental when I am flying into one airport and out of another. So, it could theoretically be a situation of getting some value (MR points) with something that has very little intrinsic value to me, especially when compared to $250 in cash. Unless Hertz points can be turned into cash or something else useful,but that is probably getting off topic for Marriott forum.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWToKM
Here's a better question:

Are there any points that don't count toward Lifetime status other than transfers (directly) from SPG?

Plus points which you already have but transfer to someone else deduct from your lifetime points, and thus count against your Lifetime status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.