Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

[If "25 brands have breakfast" rumor is true] Speculation As To Which 5 Will Not

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[If "25 brands have breakfast" rumor is true] Speculation As To Which 5 Will Not

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
I checked out the Marriott website with information on their different brands: Marriott Hotel Brands Marriott International.
If we count RC Reserve and RC separately, wouldn't there be 31 brands in total (Marriott counts RC and RC Reserve as one)? So if the information is true that only 25 brands will have elite breakfast, there would actually be six going without.
Perhaps. It's all speculation.

As I've noted, four of the potential non-participants are fairly obvious: Bulgari, MVC, ExecuStay, and Design. MVC and ExecuStay don't have the setup to provide breakfast in many circumstances and Bulgari and Design have been exempt from the program.

As for the rest, they all have a brand at a comparable level and it wouldn't make sense to offer breakfast in one brand but not the other.

Then again, not everything is logical.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
I am going with the following 5 remaining with no breakfast:

1) Ex. Apts 2) Vacation Club 3) Ritz 4) Design 5) Courtyard
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by kavok
I am going with the following 5 remaining with no breakfast:

1) Ex. Apts 2) Vacation Club 3) Ritz 4) Design 5) Courtyard
That doesn't work ... Bulgari doesn't give breakfast now. Neither does Edition. It's also my impression that Protea doesn't. So that's at least 8 that don't have it now.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I'll put my money on Marriott Vacation Club, Executive Apartments, Design Hotels, Bulgari, and Gaylord.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by joshua362
Can the newest generation of Courtyards with the (horrible) Bistro concept even begin to offer breakfast to the masses, let alone free to elites without major retooling? I think they continue a "no" because of this restriction.
They could give a coupon for a "choice" of breakfast or points.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by khabah

I’ve been watching this particular point very closely and here is what I’ve gathered from the countless interviews and statements they’ve been putting out: they have gone out of their way to assure us that none of the current brands are going anywhere and that the 30 we see now will still be the same 30 going forward. They see strength in their variety and have been working to delineate the brands since a lot of them were competitors pre-merger [especially the independent collection brands of Luxury Collection, Autograph Collection and Tribute Portfolio - which have now been defined with LC as the five-star brand, Autograph as the four-star and Tribute as the three/four-star range].

Marriott hasn’t ruled out acquiring/launching more brands going forward, but they’ll only evaluate that possibility once they’ve gotten the 30 current brands in their portfolio lined up as well as the loyalty program and other issues related to the merger. By the look of things, they’ve made great time and things might be getting interesting again very soon.

khabah
Don't forget that Marriott International has de-flagged a bunch of Sheraton properties from legacy Starwood. It came out to 6,000 rooms in 2017 and 4,000 rooms in 2018 (about 30 properties).

With tougher brand standards, Sheraton expects to drop about 30 hotels: Travel Weekly
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I'll put my money on Marriott Vacation Club, Executive Apartments, Design Hotels, Bulgari, and Gaylord.
That might be the right five. Gaylor doesn't really have a peer brand within Marriott where the absence of a breakfast benefit would stand out. I guess they don't have the breakfast now. Haven't really stayed there ... it's the only "badge" I don't have.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Don't forget that Marriott International has de-flagged a bunch of Sheraton properties from legacy Starwood. It came out to 6,000 rooms in 2017 and 4,000 rooms in 2018 (about 30 properties).

With tougher brand standards, Sheraton expects to drop about 30 hotels: Travel Weekly
Is there a list of the hotels that have been deflagged?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is there a list of the hotels that have been deflagged?
No idea.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
If "25 brands have breakfast" rumor is true] Speculation As To Which 5 Will Not

The 5 you want the most!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
A good place to start might be a list of the current elite breakfast benefit at 30 Marriott brands (Marriott Legacy and Starwood legacy). This list does not account for specific properties that are exceptions to the rule.

5 brands with breakfast for all guests included in the regular room rate (no special breakfast benefit for elite members):
  • Fairfield Inn
  • SpringHill Suites
  • Residence Inn
  • Towneplace Suites
  • Element
5 brands with the lounge/breakfast benefit for Rewards GOLD and Rewards PLATINUM (and linked SPG GOLD and SPG PLATINUM), but resorts are excluded:
  • Marriott
  • Renaissance
  • JW Marriott
  • Autograph Collection
  • Delta Hotels
9 brands with complimentary daily breakfast as a welcome gift option for SPG PLATINUM (and linked Rewards PLATINUM), including resorts:
  • Westin
  • Sheraton
  • The Luxury Collection
  • Four Points by Sheraton
  • W Hotels
  • St. Regis
  • Le Méridien
  • Aloft
  • Tribute Portfolio
11 brands without a complimentary elite breakfast benefit (everyone who wants breakfast pays for it or needs to book a room rate that includes it):
  • Design Hotels
  • Ritz-Carlton
  • Edition
  • Marriott Vacation Club
  • Marriott Executive Apartments
  • Gaylord Hotels
  • Bulgari Hotels
  • Courtyard
  • AC Hotels
  • MOXY
  • Protea Hotels
If all of these brands, except for five, will be included in the elite (or "everyone") breakfast benefit in the combined program, then I agree that the four most likely to be excluded are:
  • Design Hotels
  • Marriott Vacation Club
  • Marriott Executive Apartments
  • Bulgari Hotels
That leaves the question of what the fifth brand might be. For every brand that's been suggested in this thread -- such as Protea, Edition, and Gaylord -- a case can be made that it should be included as part of the breakfast benefit, especially if the new benefit is for PLATINUM only.

Starting with a list of 31 Marriott brands, including Ritz Carlton Reserve, then that would be the logical fifth brand.
craigthemif likes this.

Last edited by Horace; Apr 9, 2018 at 11:07 pm
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
If you count Ritz Carlton Reserve as a separate brand, perhaps we should also count African Pride as one.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
If you count Ritz Carlton Reserve as a separate brand, perhaps we should also count African Pride as one.
I can't really compare either one but Ritz Carton Reserve doesn't currently participate in MR while African Pride does. Doesn't make sense to me but it is what it is.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Good point.

In late 2016, Marriott released a chart with 31 logos to categorize its 30 brands. The 31st brand was Ritz-Carlton Reserve. It was widely published at the time. For example: https://www.hotelmanagement.net/oper...more-confusing

Marriott likes to promote its 30 brands. In reality, there are more.

Although Marriott counts Protea as just one of its 30 brands, Protea actually consists of three brands: Protea Hotels, African Pride, and Protea Hotel Fire & Ice.

Although Marriott counts Marriott Vacation Club as one brand, Marriott's timeshare spinoff (Marriott Vacations Worldwide) actually operates four brands licensed from Marriott: Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, and Grand Residences by Marriott.

Although Marriott ignores Starwood legacy vacation clubs entirely in its list of brands, Vistana Signature Experiences operates two brands licensed from Marriott (originally from Starwood): Sheraton Vacation Club and Westin Vacation Club. These participate in SPG, but not like regular Sheraton and Westin properties.

Marriott Rewards members earn points for stays at any ExecuStay location in the U.S. There was time when ExecuStay showed up in lists of Marriott brands, but it not longer does. (ExecuStay is a brand of Oakwood Worldwide.)

Last edited by Horace; Apr 9, 2018 at 11:10 pm
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Horace
A good place to start might be a list of the current elite breakfast benefit at 30 Marriott brands (Marriott Legacy and Starwood legacy). This list does not account for specific properties that are exceptions to the rule.
Starting with a list of 31 Marriott brands, including Ritz Carlton Reserve, then that would be the logical fifth brand.
This is good logic, except the original rumor was "25 brands." So if you start with 31, you need to subtract 6. I'm starting to think maybe it's Protea because it's not like there are other competitors in that space that they need to keep pace with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.