Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Free Smartphone for guest use during stay - Japan.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:27 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic
Original Poster

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.

I did a search and can't find any mention of this perk, and wondered if it is unique to the Osaka Marriott Miyako Hotel.
We are currently enjoying a five night stay on the 54th floor of this fabulous hotel.
By the bed is an android smartphone, with a notice "Take me out. I am your free travel buddy".
The phone is loaded with several apps including Google Maps, it also allows guests to make free unlimited Local and International phone calls, as well as internet access.
You enter your check out date when setting it up and any personal data is wiped when you leave.
I have to say it is a brilliant idea, we already have iPhones, but are always fearful of roaming charges whilst abroad.
Has anyone else seen this service in other Marriott hotels ?

Nick
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Not uncommon in at least some parts of Asia. Stayed recently at IC Singapore and they had them too there, and seen them advertised at other Singapore hotels.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Marriott Nagoya have phones as well docked in their rooms.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by User Name
Not uncommon in at least some parts of Asia. Stayed recently at IC Singapore and they had them too there, and seen them advertised at other Singapore hotels.
yep, not uncommon in Singapore at all.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Well spank my butt! This is news to me, brilliant idea though, hope it catches on in other countries too...probably never see that happening in the USA...unless you don't mind the Homeland Security folks eves dropping ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
jmanirish likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA PPro, UA Silver, MR Plat, HH Gold, Amtrak Select, Avis Preferred Plus
Taipei Courtyard also has this. It was handy.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
The Sheraton Grand Park Lane in London has what I think are the same phones. Very handy indeed!
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This is new since we stayed there. Very cool.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I used it quite a bit at IC Singapore. It is a great idea.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:34 am

yes these are good, if you don't want to use the handset itself go into the settings and set up the wifi hotspot for free roaming data and use your own handset with abandon. They might have blocked this off in some implementations but was available in the last couple of times I saw this (IBIS Tokyo was one cannot recall the other).
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:24 am

I have used those in Singapore and Hong Kong. Very handy indeed. Wish this would be available at more hotels.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by arkellvspressdram
yes these are good, if you don't want to use the handset itself go into the settings and set up the wifi hotspot for free roaming data and use your own handset with abandon. They might have blocked this off in some implementations but was available in the last couple of times I saw this (IBIS Tokyo was one cannot recall the other).
I tried to enable the wifi hotspot in Sheraton Osaka but it keeps turning off. Either it's blocked or I'm not doing it right.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:38 pm

It appears that this company provides the devices for $1 UDS per day per room, with a 24 month commitment. More information can be found at their website:

https://www.handy.travel/en
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by lcpteck
I tried to enable the wifi hotspot in Sheraton Osaka but it keeps turning off. Either it's blocked or I'm not doing it right.
In all the cases I have had a phone from this service provider in Singapore, the tethering has been disabled. I have not yet seen one in Japan.

I have since switched to a dual SIM phone, and just buy a local SIM card for data when I arrive. That works even better in most countries in the world. The US and Norway so far being the notable exceptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.