Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page > 30% Bonus for AA Conversions-Travel Packages EXCLUDED

30% Bonus for AA Conversions-Travel Packages EXCLUDED

Reply

Old Oct 21, 17, 11:27 am
  #1
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cockeysville, MD
Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, US Gold
Posts: 7,619
30% Bonus for AA Conversions-Travel Packages EXCLUDED

I cannot think of another promo where they excluded Travel Packages, but it sucks that they did here. I am close to mileage needed for another.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ttrewardsbonus

"Travel Packages: Points converted to AAdvantage miles as part of a Marriott Rewards/AAdvantage travel package do not qualify for this promotion"
Mr. Vker is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 17, 11:59 am
  #2
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 240
So if I I take 30,000 Amex rewards to spg. It becomes 30,000 Spg. I then change 30,000 spg to 90,000 Marriott rewards. Then 90,000 Marriott rewards becomes 117,000 aa miles

Correct?
rstidolph is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 17, 12:33 pm
  #3
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 369
Originally Posted by rstidolph View Post
So if I I take 30,000 Amex rewards to spg. It becomes 30,000 Spg. I then change 30,000 spg to 90,000 Marriott rewards. Then 90,000 Marriott rewards becomes 117,000 aa miles

Correct?
Amex Membership Rewards convert at 3:1 in the US, 2:1 in Canada. So 30K MR is either 10K or 15K SPG. Which turns to 30K or 45K Marriott Rewards. 30K Marriott Rewards would turn into 13K AA miles as per the link in the OP, since you can't use a travel package.

Towards OP's content, very disappointing, if not understandable. I hope this doesn't catch on with other bonuses in the future. I would guess this would be more of Marriott's doing, since they are the one's that would have to purchase additional AA miles? Or would it be AA limiting the value of their points? No idea here...
joeags is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 17, 5:21 pm
  #4
alc
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,261


I do recall AA had this exclusion before (a couple years ago??) I think that is the reason why when UA have their promo last year, there were a lot of FTers, including myself, had some discussion if TP included or not on the TP thread.

--- added ---

So, they just ran an SPG to AA only promo, with bonus if you convert over "x" amount, I think that end Oct 15. Now they ran a Marriott to AA only promo with a low % and no bonus. But the conversion chart is not the same between SPG and Marriott, but I think SPG one is better (haven't done the calculation yet)

So, it seems AA is trying to get people to convert their SPG/Marriott over and it is like this promo is for those that missed out on the SPG promo.

Last edited by alc; Oct 21, 17 at 5:30 pm
alc is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 17, 7:18 pm
  #5
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BTR
Programs: AA Plat (2.2 MM); SPG Plat (LTG); Mar Plat; Hyatt Expl; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Vistana 5-Star Elite
Posts: 5,187
Originally Posted by alc View Post
. . .
So, they just ran an SPG to AA only promo, with bonus if you convert over "x" amount, I think that end Oct 15. Now they ran a Marriott to AA only promo with a low % and no bonus. But the conversion chart is not the same between SPG and Marriott, but I think SPG one is better (haven't done the calculation yet)

So, it seems AA is trying to get people to convert their SPG/Marriott over and it is like this promo is for those that missed out on the SPG promo.
This promo is slightly better than the ongoing bonus for transferring points from SPG (in increments of 20,000). 20,000 SPG StarPoints = 25,000 AAdvantage miles . . . 60,000 Marriott Rewards Points (equivalent of 20,000 SPG StarPoints) yields 26,000 AAdvantage miles with this promo.
controller1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 17, 7:55 pm
  #6
alc
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,261
Originally Posted by controller1 View Post
This promo is slightly better than the ongoing bonus for transferring points from SPG (in increments of 20,000). 20,000 SPG StarPoints = 25,000 AAdvantage miles . . . 60,000 Marriott Rewards Points (equivalent of 20,000 SPG StarPoints) yields 26,000 AAdvantage miles with this promo.
This promo that end at Oct 15, not the ongoing bonus - 1 SPG to 1.625 AA

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ransfer-bonus/

This promo that started today with the highest one at 140K Marriott to 65K AA, that is 1 Marriott to 0.464 SPG

So, this promo is equivalent as 1 SPG to 1.392, hence the SPG to AA promo was better.
tbrein likes this.
alc is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 17, 8:10 pm
  #7
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BTR
Programs: AA Plat (2.2 MM); SPG Plat (LTG); Mar Plat; Hyatt Expl; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Vistana 5-Star Elite
Posts: 5,187
DELETED
controller1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 17, 5:02 am
  #8
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 201
Bummer, I just stumbled upon this offer, I was hopeful it would apply to travel packages like the last one gave me 150k AA miles from the 120K package.

Does anyone know the total AA miles earnít with the 30% bonus when converting 270k Marriott rewards?

Thanks.
Croupier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 17, 5:48 am
  #9
alc
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,261
From the link off post 1, you will get:

10,000 2,000 +600 2,600
20,000 5,000 +1,500 6,500
30,000 10,000 +3,000 13,000
70,000 25,000 +7,500 32,500
140,000 50,000 +15,000 65,000

So 270K will be 140K + 70K + 30K + 30K and hence, 65K + 32.5K + 13K + 13K = 123.5 AA... so you trade the 7-nights cert for 3.5K AA

Last edited by alc; Nov 3, 17 at 6:02 am
alc is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 17, 11:13 am
  #10
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 201
Originally Posted by alc View Post
From the link off post 1, you will get:

10,000 2,000 +600 2,600
20,000 5,000 +1,500 6,500
30,000 10,000 +3,000 13,000
70,000 25,000 +7,500 32,500
140,000 50,000 +15,000 65,000

So 270K will be 140K + 70K + 30K + 30K and hence, 65K + 32.5K + 13K + 13K = 123.5 AA... so you trade the 7-nights cert for 3.5K AA
Got it, I though there may be a sliding scale above the 140,000K MR's
Totally not worth it.
Croupier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 17, 7:39 am
  #11
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SYDNEY
Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Posts: 1,873
so has anyone tried to redeem their miles with the travel package and ended up with the bonus miles yet ?
Shanye2233 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 17, 10:04 am
  #12
alc
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,261
Originally Posted by Shanye2233 View Post
so has anyone tried to redeem their miles with the travel package and ended up with the bonus miles yet ?
This is how AA post TP miles:
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 87
Size:  23.6 KB

So, I doubt you will get the bonus. beside, this is not the first time AA run promo that exclude TP. So, any potential bug in their code would had been fixed.
alc is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 17, 7:14 am
  #13
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SYDNEY
Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Posts: 1,873
thank you for the information
Shanye2233 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:16 pm.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright © 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.