Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Idea: Point compensation when a hotel fails to post earnings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:49 am
Original Poster

I've had three times this year where a hotel hasn't properly posted points. Twice where they didn't post any points or elite nights, and once where they posted the nights but only 300 points for a 4 night stay. Each time you have to wait 2 weeks, or 4 weeks for international hotels, and then upload a PDF of your stay. This is entirely too much work for something that is 100% out of your control. The customer shouldn't have to be doing something the hotel staff should be handling, especially without compensation.

Every time a hotel fails to properly post points/nights they should give an additional point bonus as compensation. This would be similar to a customer being compensated if they're not offered a platinum welcome gift, but I'd argue that points not posting is a much bigger hassle than not being offered something to drink.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
I've had three times this year where a hotel hasn't properly posted points. Twice where they didn't post any points or elite nights, and once where they posted the nights but only 300 points for a 4 night stay. Each time you have to wait 2 weeks, or 4 weeks for international hotels, and then upload a PDF of your stay. This is entirely too much work for something that is 100% out of your control. The customer shouldn't have to be doing something the hotel staff should be handling, especially without compensation.

Every time a hotel fails to properly post points/nights they should give an additional point bonus as compensation. This would be similar to a customer being compensated if they're not offered a platinum welcome gift, but I'd argue that points not posting is a much bigger hassle than not being offered something to drink.
Yes, it would sound simple, but as you state, it happens a lot (at least is reported a lot) and therefore would be quite expensive to deliver. I think MR is counting on people either not noticing or putting up with the delay. Now if we decided to walk away after a failure or two (and it's reported to MR) then the lost revenue might get more attention.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
I agree. I find the Marriott process tedious and unreliable, and I wish I didn't need it so often. There is one Delta I frequent, for instance, that has failed to post the points at all on my last four visits. I brought this up with them a few weeks ago at the front desk and received assurances my stays would post right away. Alas, I just posted the missing stay request online for two more stays from this hotel this month. I find this frustrating and, as a consequence, have booked away from Marriott for my stays this week.

I care about this issue a lot more than a missing amenity.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, it would sound simple, but as you state, it happens a lot (at least is reported a lot) and therefore would be quite expensive to deliver.
If they were that worried about rolling out a program like this I'd hope they'd consider putting resources into fixing the problem.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Its starting to become a trend. First time I had to follow up I got 1k extra pts, second time 2k, third time 5k xtra and a heartfelt apology. Coming from IHG which never had this problem (at least for me) its interesting that they are having so much trouble with something so simple.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unclepants
There is one Delta I frequent, for instance, that has failed to post the points at all on my last four visits. I brought this up with them a few weeks ago at the front desk and received assurances my stays would post right away. Alas, I just posted the missing stay request online for two more stays from this hotel this month.
Is it new as a Delta hotel?

I've had the same problem with the Delta Garden Grove California, but it was converted from a Wyndham just a few months ago, and they're blaming it on that.

Originally Posted by HGHUA
Its starting to become a trend. First time I had to follow up I got 1k extra pts, second time 2k, third time 5k xtra and a heartfelt apology. Coming from IHG which never had this problem (at least for me) its interesting that they are having so much trouble with something so simple.
Well, I currently also have a missing stay at Hilton Honors (for a DoubleTree that's been in the program for years). Except every time I click on 'Report a Missing Stay" on the Hilton site, I get a website error. (Which I also go on the Marriott website the last time I tried for that Delta hotel, so I had to use "Contact Us" instead.)
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:03 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Like HGHUA, I’m finding this problem is plaguing me, literally just 18 days ago I called about significant point shorting by the Preston Marriott and received 4,000 goodwill points. A few days later I stay at the Leeds Marriott and again find myself significantly point-shorted, another call and points are corrected credited with an additional 5,000 goodwill points. It’s very annoying having to police Marriott in this way. A straightforward additional 5,000 points for each missing stay or significant (over 20%) pointshorting would I am sure hit the properties pockets deeply enough to end this careless attitude to pointshorting and missing stays, although I must admit, at least for me, missing stays are very rare...

I might add ive not suffered these problems at all with SPG, and only twice with IHG in a decade!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Is it new as a Delta hotel?
No, it's been a Delta since opening 8-10 years ago, which makes this all the more frustrating.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I can't even get Marriott to answer my phone calls. While I'd like to see this, I don't think we will.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
In a perfect world where where one party (the franchisee) has to (solely) fulfill the promises of another (the Corporation), there should be points and/or financial compensation for non compliance / delivery. Otherwise what is the point when the customer has to get involved and beg?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Missing stays or incorrect points is happening much more often now... previously it was extremely rare for me, and now I've had several incorrect postings or no postings for stays. Oh not to mention that downloading receipts is still broken for many hotels.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Not such a crazy idea. Hyatt used to offer an extra 500 points if your Diamond welcome points failed to post.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
I also have a missing stay from a Delta Hotel that claims it's typical and new (10 months, though, ha!). This is in Grand Rapids. Is this a known issue with the Delta sub-chain?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.