Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Concierge Lounge Closed due to low Occupancy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concierge Lounge Closed due to low Occupancy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, , Delta 2MM & DM UA Gold
Unhappy Concierge Lounge Closed due to low Occupancy

Has anyone ever experienced this before. I checked into a Marriott tonight -- Thursday night, only to be told, sorry, due to low occupancy this week, we have closed the lounge the entire week. I know its 4th of July week, but there are several work days this week, and to close the lounge just seems wrong.

The hotel offered an appetizer and breakfast, but I just found it lame to close the lounge. Am I being unrealistic?

Hotel was Burlington Mass Marriott.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This happens in various hotel chains. You're lucky to get the appetizer and not just breakfast in the restaurant.

If you don't have keycard access to the lounge for nonalcoholic beverages, you would be well within your rights to request some water etc.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Not uncommon to close lounge during holiday weeks when business travel is often curtailed.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Fred 3
Has anyone ever experienced this before.
One of many:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-evenings.html
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Many Marriott's close the CL between Christmas and New Years.

But I think more lounges should open on the weekend when the hotel is full - but they don't. So I don't buy closing at slow times.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
MSPeconomist posted just what I was going to. I have stayed at quite a few Marriott hotels during holiday weeks that tend to attract more of a business clientele, and I would be THRILLED to get an evening appetizer coupon in addition to the (mandatory) breakfast benefit.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I think there is a difference between a published closed period of time-like around Christmas/New Years vs spontaneous closure due to occupancy. Imagine if you paid for a Lounge level room expecting certain periods of access. I would not be happy personally.

We stay at the Tysons RC several times a year. They dont sell Club level rooms when the lounge is closed. The rooms are still used-but not advertised as club level.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You're lucky to get the appetizer and not just breakfast in the restaurant.
Lucky not to just be given 750 or 1000 points and no breakfast.

Breakfast policy for Plats is the weak spot in Marriott's program.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well the good thing is the Burlington Marriott has a nice breakfast buffet, but I do like the lounge for the other amenities like the water and evening snack.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by rylan
Well the good thing is the Burlington Marriott has a nice breakfast buffet, but I do like the lounge for the other amenities like the water and evening snack.
Then ask the front desk for waters since the CL is closed.

David
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:03 am
Original Member

Every year we meet with friends at the Cleveland Ritz Carlton and splurge for concierge floor rooms. 2 1/2 weeks before this years stay I received an email saying that the lounge was under renovation and would not be available on the evening of our stay.
I immediately called the Cleveland Renaissance and was told that lounge floor rooms were indeed available so I booked the 2 rooms online and cancelled my reservations at the Ritz.
When we arrived at the hotel, I was informed that the lounge was closed because of low occupancy. I did not receive any notification at all. Instead I was given a $10.00 voucher for the bar and a slightly lower room rate. When I got to the room I checked online reservations and found that they were still selling lounge access rooms at the higher rate for that evening. (they also do this on weekends when a lot of lounges are closed which is another story in itself) That's bait and switch in my book
This has happened to me at the Wentworth in New Hampshire when they had a lounge a few years back (they offered me 1 appetizer to share for my wife and I and no rate reduction) and a couple of times at Marriott properties in Massachusetts and Washington DC-no rate reduction, just a lot of "we're sorry for the inconvenience".
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by cova
Many Marriott's close the CL between Christmas and New Years.
Yep. I unfortunately travel a lot for work that week the past decade and every time the CL is closed.

Doesn't bother me as I preferred the free drink/appetizer and breakfast coupon more than the CL offerings.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
I stayed at the Victoria BC Marriott that closed the lounge on Fri after breakfast until Sunday at 5pm. They were really great about saying "as the lounge is closed, just help yourself to any juice, pop or water in the store and say you are in room _____. They gave me 1000 points a night and coupon for breakfast.

I was impressed. They handled it very well.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Cleveland has a Ritz Carlton?
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by aschafer1984
Cleveland has a Ritz Carlton?
It opened in 1990.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.