Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best Marriott beach location that's not a resort/we can get breakfast?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Marriott beach location that's not a resort/we can get breakfast?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
Hotel elite benefits aren't usually a driver for me picking a destination. If there's a city in this world I want to visit, I'll make plans to go there even if there are no Marriotts, Hiltons, etc. In some parts of the world, I actually love the local guesthouses, B&B's, whatever... But if I've settled on an area and am looking at different award options, we have this (stupid, IMHO) distinction within Marriott that it can't be a "resort" if you want elite benefits. Thus this thread: where are good non-resort options near resort-y places?

Plus there's something psychological: it feels like Marriott is ripping me off at resorts. I have a resort-ish stay coming up, using a Travel Package, but it's at an MVCI. (I found an elusive 7-night award at MVCI!!! ) That doesn't bother me at all, because I always had zero expectation of elite benefits at MVCI. Hilton and Starwood don't provide benefits at their timeshare brands either. I don't feel like it's being taken away from me arbitrarily. And I have a kitchen, so I don't need the hotel to provide me breakfast.
Agree with a lot of this. For us, it's an important perk, but not the key one by any means. This year, we're spending a 7-night TP at Wailea Beach Club. We'll pay for breakfast there, when we could have had free breakfast at the Renaissance up the road. But being on the beach with no breakfast outweighs being near the beach and eating for free.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
We'll pay for breakfast there, when we could have had free breakfast at the Renaissance up the road.
There's no Renaissance.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by threedjmay
Anyone stay at Delray Marriott? Looking at this spot for a points stay for a week. Thought it looked like a good place to have lots of activities to drive to or walk to.

Thanks
10 years ago I did and thought it was very decent, the lounge was very nice and across the street from the ocean beach. Walk to the small town for shops & restaurants but will certainly need a car for other funtivities. Butterfly World was cool. There is also now a RI in town too.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
There's no Renaissance.
And this makes me sad. I loved that hotel...
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
There's no Renaissance.
Nice catch. It's the Residence that is up the street. I do that wayyyy too often for someone who stays at Marriotts a lot.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I just came back from a week-long stay at the Residence Inn in Pompano Beach, FL, and I think it fits the main criteria that the OP is looking for. Being a RI, breakfast is included for everyone and it's a nice spread. Certainly there was enough variety to keep us happy for the week.

The hotel itself is situated right on the beach, and has a nice and spacious pool area on top of that. It isn't a resort so no resort fees, although there is no on-site parking and you have to use valets at $25 a day.

To Old Hickory's question about free breakfast, I will say that as a parent of 2 young children, having a hotel breakfast is a huge perk. That's mainly because it saves time... I don't have to herd the kids into the car and stop anywhere. We just roll down to the breakfast area, have a bite to eat, no worries about washing dishes, etc., go back to the room, get our stuff and we're good to go.

I wouldn't pick a place on account of a free breakfast, but it is definitely a major convenience that gets factored into the decision as to where we'll stay.
unclepants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.