Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address:
[email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]

> Plat Welcome amenity is 1k pts or Breakfast for Elite+1
——————————-
Previously posted and someone deleted it - It is the policy of this prop to try and upgrade P/Gs and even Ss on their first stay. If for some reason the property cannot upgrade the P/G/S member on their first stay they will be given upgrade priority on their next stay.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by tylerc
True, but as a newly opened resort they've offered me some decent perks to come check it out.

I'm really torn...PQC kind of sounds like a boring island with little to do. Someone did mention a shuttle into town each evening - can anyone comment on the restaurant options in town?
The town with the night market had basically any type of food you can imagine at pretty much any price point.

As far as activities, the resort does daily free things as well as paddle boards etc. I was also able to secure a motorcycle rental through the hotel for next to nothing. This allowed me to visit the prison, fish sauce factory, temples, the waterfall/park, and other beaches.

There is no shortage of things to do if you look for them.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by SurlyJoe
The town with the night market had basically any type of food you can imagine at pretty much any price point.

As far as activities, the resort does daily free things as well as paddle boards etc. I was also able to secure a motorcycle rental through the hotel for next to nothing. This allowed me to visit the prison, fish sauce factory, temples, the waterfall/park, and other beaches.

There is no shortage of things to do if you look for them.
Thanks for the feedback!

Sounds like they're not organized as far as visa exemption goes...I think I would get e-visa to be safe, but part of the appeal was not needing a visa at all!
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by tylerc
Thanks for the feedback!

Sounds like they're not organized as far as visa exemption goes...I think I would get e-visa to be safe, but part of the appeal was not needing a visa at all!
Sorry, can't help you there as I travelled from other parts of Vietnam. VOA was a pretty simple and inexpensive process however. For what it's worth, this was certainly one of the nicest "chain" resorts I've ever experienced. Plat treatment was fantastic, though I didn't receive a suite upgrade on my four night award stay.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Limited point availability thru 26 March now available for redemption (and surprisingly to me based upon the algarythm used to determine Cat changes still 25k/night)
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:33 am
Suspended

Well availability post 20 Dec didn’t last long and currently no point redemptions post 20 Dec now available.

Hopefully those that wanted to redeem got their reservations done yesterday during availability.

Originally Posted by Srisarin
Limited point availability thru 26 March now available for redemption (and surprisingly to me based upon the algarythm used to determine Cat changes still 25k/night)
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:53 pm

Which dates were you looking at?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:51 pm
Suspended

My reservations are already set (next week) and notice here is posted for others that have been complaining of no availability for either/both cash and/or points.

I now see standard room availability, but NO point availability for them, post 20 Dec.

I doubt I can find Bom d Bom 33 anywhere in Nam any longer but bought a bottle in San Francisco !!

Originally Posted by franknguyen297
Which dates were you looking at?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:43 am

I want to give a shout out and thanks to the community and contributors of this thread.

I heard about this property and the great deal it offered first in this thread (well before the plethora of blog posts everywhere). I took the initiative to put a seven-night hold for a room back in July. I pooled my points for a travel package a couple of weeks ago and pulled the trigger after the United bonus, which I was waiting for to be offered.

I'm super excited to stay at the property, and particularly if elite benefits are still on offer when I arrive in February. If not, it's still a hell of a deal, and I'll just substitute some meals at the resort with a bowl of pho at the nearby restaurants on the main road.

So, thanks again to everyone. This will be one of the better redemptions I've learnt about on FT, besides Aeroplan mini-RTW's in the AC/AE section.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:33 am
Suspended

Hope you were aware that traveling in this area on or near 16 Feb as Chinese New Year is a time that the whole country seems to be on the move and with staff on holiday leave many places close up for a week.

Originally Posted by LoveGlobeTrottin
I want to give a shout out and thanks to the community and contributors of this thread.

I heard about this property and the great deal it offered first in this thread (well before the plethora of blog posts everywhere). I took the initiative to put a seven-night hold for a room back in July. I pooled my points for a travel package a couple of weeks ago and pulled the trigger after the United bonus, which I was waiting for to be offered.

I'm super excited to stay at the property, and particularly if elite benefits are still on offer when I arrive in February. If not, it's still a hell of a deal, and I'll just substitute some meals at the resort with a bowl of pho at the nearby restaurants on the main road.

So, thanks again to everyone. This will be one of the better redemptions I've learnt about on FT, besides Aeroplan mini-RTW's in the AC/AE section.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:11 am

Yes, I am, and I can't wait! I'll be finished all my schooling that week. After a decade and a half of hardcore oilfield work interspersed with education, I'll be finished my uni degree, topped off with a program in Vietnam.

I just want a week to chill out and don't care if there's reduced service on the island; I just hope there will be other people there enjoying the holiday along with me. And I'm actually going right before things kick off because post Feb 14th points availability was non-existent back in July.

Anyways, like I said thanks, everyone.

Hope you were aware that traveling in this area on or near 16 Feb as Chinese New Year is a time that the whole country seems to be on the move and with staff on holiday leave many places close up for a week.

Last edited by LoveGlobeTrottin; Oct 22, 2017 at 6:25 pm
Old Oct 28, 2017, 5:28 am
Suspended

Checked in yesterday to start a 5- night stay.
Pre-arrival upgraded to 5th Fl corner Agro Themed Turquoise Suite (90SM) with breakfast ($1300/night if paid - we're using points) thanks to Thomas V.
Ty, who we know from his last position as GM in Khao Lak, came by to say hello.
The staff members we've dealt with at Red Rum and breakfast were all fluent enough in English.
Classes in making sushi and rum cocktails was fun.
PAG was half bottle of Chard and macaroons.
Instant overall impression - due to the uniquness of the property should really be an Autograph Collection vrs JW.
Naturally the new direct flights from Bangkok will start tomorrow (if you stay only at PQ no VN visa required) avoiding transit in Saigon.

Last edited by Srisarin; Oct 28, 2017 at 5:51 am
Old Oct 28, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Which airline has the direct flight?

Checked in yesterday to start a 5- night stay.
Pre-arrival upgraded to 5th Fl corner Agro Themed Turquoise Suite (90SM) with breakfast ($1300/night if paid - we're using points) thanks to Thomas V.
Ty, who we know from his last position as GM in Khao Lak, came by to say hello.
The staff members we've dealt with at Red Rum and breakfast were all fluent enough in English.
Classes in making sushi and rum cocktails was fun.
PAG was half bottle of Chard and macaroons.
Instant overall impression - due to the uniquness of the property should really be an Autograph Collection vrs JW.
Naturally the new direct flights from Bangkok will start tomorrow (if you stay only at PQ no VN visa required) avoiding transit in Saigon.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by estnet
Which airline has the direct flight?
Bangkok Airways. Four flights a week.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:39 am
Suspended

it may only be a turbo prop but at least it's direct

Originally Posted by UpInTheAir
Bangkok Airways. Four flights a week.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:21 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Just completed a three-night stay here. Mixed bag.

My SO is a Bill Bensley fan, and we stayed at IC Danang a half dozen times, as well as SR Bali, PH Siem Reap, the Siam, and Indigo Pearl. Compared to these properties, and specifically compared to IC Danang, the Marriott didn’t wow us. It’s whimsical and over-the-top as you’d expect, but the property layout isn’t nearly as unique as Danang -- we somehow kept feeling like we’re in some Hawaiian resort development.

When we arrived, the property was at around 60% occupancy, and on our departure day filled up to >90% with a giant wedding. We had a late arrival planned (the 11pm Vietjet flight, which ended up getting in around 2.30am -- avoid that flight, it’s routinely >1hr late) and were initially given a Le Jardin room. These are standard sized rooms on the ground floor with a little garden. When we pulled back the curtains in the morning, we realized that there’s no privacy at all, so I went to the front desk to ask for a higher floor room. Ocean front rooms and standard suites were showing available, yet all they were prepared to offer was a standard room on the fourth floor of the Seashells building. The balconies of those rooms inexplicably have a 6ft wall instead of a see-through railing -- meaning a severely obstructed view from the balcony. Why the brilliant mind of Mr Bensley deemed that necessary eludes me; the other floors (and indeed, all floors on other buildings) don’t come with this feature. Given the choice between the no privacy ground-floor room and the limited view fourth floor, we opted for the latter, knowing full well that we’d ended up in one of the worst rooms of the hotel.

The pools were very pleasant and not at all busy, with no more than 20% of the loungers taken. The beach was a huge letdown – the water was choppy and brown, and there’s no way I would have swam there due to the incredible amounts of trash floating in it. I had read about the problems with plastic trash on Phu Quoc beaches, but having seen pictures of crystal-clear water, I assumed the hotel wasn’t affected by that problem. To be fair, they had a crew of 10 cleaning the beach, and a bulldozer beeped back-and-forth for hours. I’m hoping this isn’t normal; maybe we had some unusual weather pattern.

What stood out as positive was the food. The breakfast is amazing! I’ve stayed at many nice hotels, and I would say this is in my top-10 of all times and top-3 of the year. Huge selection of quality foods, presented in a very pleasant environment. The rum bar was nice for lunch, and the Platinum happy hour was fun. I come from the Starwood side (and Hyatt and IC), so I tend to expect free breakfasts and club benefits, but I realize this isn’t a thing Marriott requires resorts to do, so big thumbs up for the property for going above-and-beyond.

So would we come back, or recommend the place, specifically when compared to IC Danang? I would say that at Cat 5, the Marriott is, without a doubt, a steal. So if you’re considering burning points, go for it. In our opinion, the IC is a much better and more unique hotel, so if you’re paying cash (and rates are similar), go there instead. Pay attention to the seasonality – both locations only have a few months of peak season, and off-season weather can be quite unpleasant. If you do pick the Marriott, judging from the experiences reported here, it is important to reach out ahead of time and beg for a suite.
vg247 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.