Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address:
[email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]

> Plat Welcome amenity is 1k pts or Breakfast for Elite+1
——————————-
Previously posted and someone deleted it - It is the policy of this prop to try and upgrade P/Gs and even Ss on their first stay. If for some reason the property cannot upgrade the P/G/S member on their first stay they will be given upgrade priority on their next stay.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
This property is a steal as category 5 point level redemption considering many nights are $600 USD+ a night for standard room. The result is everyone w Points is using them so everything has been booked super far in advance. I checked w hotel on this.

They will also most most likely be changing categories. Even if they went up severa layers they’d still be a great deal for redemptions. Wonderful property.

We luckily used points for a ten night stay in spring and got availability just before other scooped it up.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Srisarin
Wouldn’t be surprised if this property is changing catagories and you’ll see points once again available in 2 days (happened earlier) at Cat 6/7, which frankly is overdue.

If my thoughts are correct, they’ll honor current point reservations (mine is the end of this month), but not changes to current reservations or new ones (including unfunded reservations).
The hotel hasn't changed categories since it opened. When people were getting the 15k rate it was still listed as a category 5.

Has anyone seen Marriott change an individual hotels category outside of the yearly adjustment they make across all of their brands?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Technically correct (or were the original points correct and incorrect Cat listed ?) but 15k is equivalent to Cat 3, but at least the property honored those that booked with points (but not unfunded reservations)

Yes, several times. You’ll find this noted in other threads.

Originally Posted by LoveGlobeTrottin
The hotel hasn't changed categories since it opened. When people were getting the 15k rate it was still listed as a category 5.

Has anyone seen Marriott change an individual hotels category outside of the yearly adjustment they make across all of their brands?

Last edited by Srisarin; Oct 5, 2017 at 10:27 pm
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's "unfunded reservation"?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by azepine00
What's "unfunded reservation"?
Marriott doesn't require you to have all the pts required for an award stay until a week or so before your arrival date.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
I saved up for a cat 1-5 travel package just for this property for next August. Until about a week ago they had reward availability and cash nights only until the end of July. Then, the day they opened up cash rooms until mid-September, the reward nights for all of 2018 disappeared. Having saved to get this tp, I have a feeling I'll need to find more points or look at other properties, as I suspect they're about to raise category. Typical bad timing by me (assuming it happens).
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
I booked 5 nights in December for 100K pts, transferred from my SPG account at a 1 to 3 ratio.

Fairly decent!
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I booked one night with points and one with a cert award redemption. My anniversary free night is coming up so I'm curious if they would let me switch out the points redemption for the free night cert if I call?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Marriott doesn't require you to have all the pts required for an award stay until a week or so before your arrival date.
my understanding is that once the reservation is made points will be charged at the original rate even if cert is issued after cat change... is that correct?
(i am waiting for next ua transfer bonus so it is "unfunded" - finding out that i need to use more points would be a major bummer)
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Really, only fairly decent ?
Can you name any SPG resort property where you’ll get a better deal with 33,000 SPG points ?
(I would think the cash rate here is well over $3000 during Dec)

Originally Posted by UASPG
I booked 5 nights in December for 100K pts, transferred from my SPG account at a 1 to 3 ratio.

Fairly decent!
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by azepine00
my understanding is that once the reservation is made points will be charged at the original rate even if cert is issued after cat change... is that correct?
(i am waiting for next ua transfer bonus so it is "unfunded" - finding out that i need to use more points would be a major bummer)
That I do not know. Depends if you want to risk not being charged an increase in points if the category level increases.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Fairly decent, indeed.

Originally Posted by Srisarin
Really, only fairly decent ?
Can you name any SPG resort property where you’ll get a better deal with 33,000 SPG points ?
(I would think the cash rate here is well over $3000 during Dec)
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:35 pm
soy

Programs: various
This hotel is very good, and at the current points price point probably the best value in the network. If you are also MRR gold or plat it becomes close to unbeatable.
But...... if you were paying the regular rate of $500 per night you might have different expectations. Once the hotel is established and they re-categorize the property, I expect some of the shine to wear off.

$500 p/n gets you a lot of hotel in SE Asia.

Last edited by soy; Oct 6, 2017 at 8:40 pm
Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:41 am
kkl

Whats the cost on food like? 100-150USD a day enough for a couple? Assuming Plat breakfast.

What kind of paid activities are there to do? Are most of you guys flying in from HCM?
Old Oct 7, 2017, 2:11 am
Suspended

As I recall, they have direct international flights from Seoul and Guangzhou and next month Bangkok Air will start direct Bangkok - Phu Quoc flights.

Internally, flights originate in Saigon and Hanoi although I heard one of the domestic airlines will add DaNang.

If you only go into/out of Phu Quoc you do not require a VN visa (if you plan to go into other parts of VN, unless you have a SEA passport, you’ll need a VN visa .

Originally Posted by kkl
Whats the cost on food like? 100-150USD a day enough for a couple? Assuming Plat breakfast.

What kind of paid activities are there to do? Are most of you guys flying in from HCM?

Last edited by Srisarin; Oct 7, 2017 at 2:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.