Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer points between spouses

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by michaelr
Just to confirm. I actually moved 101k from my wife's account into mine. It was for the purpose of an immediate redemption. I recall last year having to fill out an actual paper form and faxing or emailing it in. This time is was very hassle free done over the phone.
Do you know what would happen if you cancelled the reservation? Does it say anywhere or did the agent tell you if the points go back to your account or to your wife's? I'm just curious as, if the former, I'm sure some enterprising soul could use this to get around the 50k per year limit.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 1:50 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
I'm just curious as, if the former, I'm sure some enterprising soul could use this to get around the 50k per year limit.
I don't see why the points wouldn't all go into your account (as has always been the case.) So, yes, you could get around the 50K per year limit, but as mentioned above, this is a once a year benefit. So use it wisely.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 8:49 pm

Do you know what would happen if you cancelled the reservation? Does it say anywhere or did the agent tell you if the points go back to your account or to your wife's? I'm just curious as, if the former, I'm sure some enterprising soul could use this to get around the 50k per year limit.
I can't test this as I booked a Travel Award for 7 cat 8 certs and 132k United miles. However, I am sure that the points would stay in my account and not be returned to my wife's.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
It's been reported many times that the points return the account making the rez. However, should MR choose to audit the account and decide it was a deception from the get go, I would expect nasty things happen. The least of which the points returned to the spouse's account.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I need to transfer dad's MR to mine for a travel package. Would it be easier to transfer over first for a dummy rez, then cancel, then book TP? Or will MR allow transfer for TP with no immediate hotel rez? Or either?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I need to transfer dad's MR to mine for a travel package. Would it be easier to transfer over first for a dummy rez, then cancel, then book TP? Or will MR allow transfer for TP with no immediate hotel rez? Or either?
You might find it easier to combine via SPG although that requires both SPG accounts to share the same address for 30 days.

However Travel Packages don't require an immediate hotel reservation - you just get a reward certificate.

If you're trying to grab all of your father's points, just do a dummy rez to bring your balance down to a point where you need all of his points for the travel package.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by craigthemif
You might find it easier to combine via SPG although that requires both SPG accounts to share the same address for 30 days.

However Travel Packages don't require an immediate hotel reservation - you just get a reward certificate.

If you're trying to grab all of your father's points, just do a dummy rez to bring your balance down to a point where you need all of his points for the travel package.
This is a GREAT idea. I wish we were at same address (need to do transfer this week and we do not have same address on spg file).
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:37 pm

I have been having trouble transferring pts from my wife's MR acct to mine for use on an existing reservation (never had this problem before). So just to confirm above posts, I could transfer her MR pts to her starwood acct then to my starwood acct and then to my MR acct, right?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:09 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by frankhi
I have been having trouble transferring pts from my wife's MR acct to mine for use on an existing reservation (never had this problem before). So just to confirm above posts, I could transfer her MR pts to her starwood acct then to my starwood acct and then to my MR acct, right?
That's what I did with my husband's Marriott points. Worked like a charm. Be aware it is not instantaneous between SPG accounts. My next to last transfer took 7 days.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by frankhi
If you have a need/desire for MR LT points, then move her SPG points to her MR account and then her MR points to your MR account. Moving SPG points to your MR account will not bump your MR LT points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.