Transfer points between spouses

Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UMP Silver and Marriott Platinum
Transfer Points to Spouse

What happens if my wife transfers some of her points to my account for a reservation that we want to book. Then later the reservation gets cancelled? What happens to the points that got transferred? Do they go back to her account or stay in my account?

Thanks
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by SychoSly
What happens if my wife transfers some of her points to my account for a reservation that we want to book. Then later the reservation gets cancelled? What happens to the points that got transferred? Do they go back to her account or stay in my account?

Thanks
Reports are they stay in your account.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:40 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Reports are they stay in your account.
Correct.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Two independent transactions:
  • You transfer the points, which is not rescindable without paying a new transfer fee. In other words, transferring the points from your account back to your wife's account would be an entirely new transaction.
  • You make a reservation and plan a stay.

Canceling the second transaction has no bearing on the first transaction.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Two independent transactions:
You need to quit giving detailed/complete/example posts right after I give one word answers.

You are making me look bad. But I do like the details you provided.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:03 am

do points transferred count toward long Term Platinum status? How about miles purchased?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:09 am

When points are transferred, those points are deducted from the LT points of the original account and added to the LT points of the receiving account.

When you say "miles purchased" do you mean purchased points with cash directly from Marriott? Or something else? If purchasing points, I do believe that those points are added to your LT total as well.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by hhoope01
When points are transferred, those points are deducted from the LT points of the original account and added to the LT points of the receiving account.

When you say "miles purchased" do you mean purchased points with cash directly from Marriott? Or something else? If purchasing points, I do believe that those points are added to your LT total as well.
Reversal... my short answer...

Someone has been running an experiment on the LTP points deduction issue here, starting with Post #1713.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:47 pm
Community Director Emerita

Have we always been able to transfer points between accounts? I knew that points could be combined for an award yet was blissfully unaware of the ability to do a pure transfer. I saw a remark about it recently, and indeed learned that we are allowed to transfer 50K points per year. My husband transferred 50K points to my account today. He's gold, I am platinum, so there was no fee.

Does the per year limit mean per calendar year, or does the 12 month clock start ticking today before he can do another transfer?
Attached Images  
Old Aug 12, 2016, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Have we always been able to transfer points between accounts?
Yes and no. How's that for an answer.

For decades, we've been able to move points from one account to another, but the sticker was it had to be in conjunction with making an award reservation. The points needed for the award order could be pulled from someone else's account. While Marriott's T&C's have always stated this "benefit" was for spouse accounts, Marriott never did enforce that requirement. So you could create a "dummy" reservation requiring more points in your account than were there, go through the process of moving the points over when ordering the cert for that award and then canceling the award afterward. All points would then be dropped into your account.

And back then, there were no restrictions on the number of times per year one could transfer the points in this manner nor were there any limits on the number of points that could be transferred.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 1:59 pm

Transfer points between spouses

Is it still possible to transfer points between spouses for the purpose of an award redemption? I am only finding the 50k per year option with a fee. I am not worried about the fee as much but the 50k limit is not going to work for me. I have done this the last time about 18 months ago and it wasn't an issue. When I called a few days ago, I was told about the 50k option. I want to get my ducks in a row before I call back.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I saw the thread title, I thought you were trying to transfer points among your various wives. I guess I'm not awake yet.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:12 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by michaelr
Is it still possible to transfer points between spouses for the purpose of an award redemption? I am only finding the 50k per year option with a fee. I am not worried about the fee as much but the 50k limit is not going to work for me. I have done this the last time about 18 months ago and it wasn't an issue. When I called a few days ago, I was told about the 50k option. I want to get my ducks in a row before I call back.
Are you hoping to move more than 50K? You can always ask, but the only rule I found is the one that I posted. It limits the transfer to 50K within a year and says nothing about a different limit for spouses. I agree that the $10 fee for those without status is negligible. Come back and report especially if you have success moving more.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:50 pm

It is still possible to transfer more than 50K in a year (similarly to what was allowed in the past). There is a caveat in that now you can only do it once per year. The T&Cs state:

"Once per calendar year and only at time of Reward Redemption a Member may exceed the 50,000 Point maximum into the Rewards Program account of a friend or family member in order to qualify for a specific Reward in accordance with this section."

Rewards Terms & Conditions
Old Aug 14, 2016, 8:04 am

Just to confirm. I actually moved 101k from my wife's account into mine. It was for the purpose of an immediate redemption. I recall last year having to fill out an actual paper form and faxing or emailing it in. This time is was very hassle free done over the phone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.