Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flooded room compensation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Flooded room compensation

I won't mention the hotel as this just happened. I'm at a JW outside the US. I checked in and went to take a nap. I was awoke by a new feature to JW Marriott. Bedside rain shower. Literally they the ceiling started pouring cold brown water all over the bed and floor. Ruined my new santonis.. Soaked my luggage and leather tumi laptop bag and last but not least soaked my clothes I need for right now. Now they were kind enough to offer to dry my clothes for no charge even though the laundry service is closed today and move rooms, hell I got a bigger room... I know that crap happens and by all means I absolutely did not give the staff hell as it's not their fault.
This is a new one for me. I find Marriott corporate customer service appalling, so what should I ask for from the hotel. My shoes are $450. Tumi bag around $800. Also a major Inconvence of canceling plans as I have no clothes to wear. I'm just glad I brought my nylon tumi carryon and not my LV luggage on this trip... There is a mall near by, but I'm a bit too old to go shopping in a bathrobe these days.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
I can sympathize. I can't imagine what I would do if my $100 cole haans, $60 Bostonians, $120 travel pro (crew!) or my $40 Swiss gear backpack got ruined. There would be HELL to pay. I would consider them lucky I didn't have my $150 SP (samsonite PRO).

I would simply clean, repair and replace everything then submit receipts. The hotel's insurance will cover your losses.

Compensation should be a no brainer as far as the room is concerned.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Were you sleeping with your shoes on and luggage on the bed? Most of us put our clothes in the closet or in a drawer when we arrive at a room, so how did everything get wet?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Thanks for the sarcasm.. I'm not trying to make this post about finances.. I like to spend my money on certain items which I take care of.. The whole situation is fairly petty, and just an inconvenience. I am just trying to gauge what to expect in a situation like this. A MR property once lost my dry cleaning, and did nothing but give me a small amount of points.. Corporate didn't care. One of the reasons I avoid Marriott.. I will take your advice nonetheless, and make sure to follow up.

Thanks!

As for travel pro, I just got my dad one, and he loves it!
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by ryan754;26148532I
am just trying to gauge what to expect in a situation like this.
Sarcasm aside, Chewie already answered that question for you.

Submit receipts for cleaning or replacement of your property. Expect a comped room or equivalent compensation in points, plus a modest number of additional points for your trouble.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by catocony
Were you sleeping with your shoes on and luggage on the bed? Most of us put our clothes in the closet or in a drawer when we arrive at a room, so how did everything get wet?
Wow. I have never once put my clothes in a hotel dresser drawer, and unless it's a suit or dress shirt I rarely hang anything in the closet. I bring out the stand and most of my clothes stay in the suitcase on that. If I was taking a nap and planning to wear the same clothes after, likely they would be (neatly) on the other side of the bed, shoes on the floor near the bed. Am I irresponsible for doing that because I should be prepared for in-room deluges?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catocony
If you must ask.. Half of the room flooded... My shoes, and clothes were on the floor next to the bed along with my luggage.. I had just a carryon and laptop bag with a change of clothes for a quick trip.. On that note I have slept with my shoes on thank you very much..
Nonetheless I never make use of closets/drawers or luggage racks. Thanks just me...
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by ryan754
...the ceiling started pouring cold brown water all over the bed and floor...
This is the part that worries me the most... If the brown water was from an outgoing pipe, there would be no compensation that could possibly be enough. Maybe you just don't want to know.

Replace/repair/clean your stuff. Night comped. 40k Marriott Rewards points. All of that is contingent on it NOT being an outgoing pipe. If it is an outgoing pipe, replacement of everything, free night, a paid medical check-up and 100k Marriott Rewards points.

And count me among those that does not always unpack. I pull out what needs to be hung in the closet, but leave everything else in the suitcase, which is on the rack. I pack a gallon Ziploc for each day plus one extra. Each day, a bag comes out of the suitcase, the clean clothes come out of the Ziploc, dirty clothes go in and the Ziploc goes back in the suitcase. There are one or two Ziplocs for miscellaneous stuff. There is a piece of dryer sheet in each bag, too. The bags last for months. It saves space and protects my clothes if the suitcase gets wet while traveling. Now I realize it serves another purpose; much of my stuff would have been okay if the pipe broke in my room.

I've been flooded before; my brand new condo, circa 1996, had faulty sprinklers. All my ties were ruined, my winter coat ultimately could not be cleaned and several pairs of shoes. (Donald J Pliners, since we seem to be comparing shoes. The most comfortable shoes money can buy.) It's a pain, and it's not your fault.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'm not an engineer or a plumber, but how did the water end up in the room/bed? What was above you but another room/bed? Wouldn't a problem in the bathroom above leak onto your bathroom, not bedroom?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Name:  IMG_6550.jpg
Views: 2976
Size:  266.9 KB

Here is a picture of the celing.. It is strange that it would leak into the bedroom and not the bathroom, I'm assuming it may have been sewage or shower water who knows.. Notice the two bubbles.. Pretty crazy.. I have a video but don't think I can post on here. No poop pieces as far as I am concerned. ^ yay! As for Donald Pliners, I have a pair, and they are awesome! I got talked into Santoni's after Bruno Magli stopped producing Raging's now my wallet seems to get much lighter any time I need shoes
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:48 pm
Suspended

before you go on your shopping spree recommended by UpgradeMe and CJKatl (who has previously alleged to being an attorney) you should be aware that when it comes to items like an $800 Tumi bag that insurance companies require receipts (not only to verify the price but to proffer proof that the item wasn't purchased in the likes of back streets in China/other) and then to depreciate the item for wear and usage since purchase, but do go ahead if the above posters are gonna guarantee you full replacement costs (at your own risk).
Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by leeky
before you go on your shopping spree recommended by UpgradeMe and CJKatl (who has previously alleged to being an attorney) you should be aware that when it comes to items like an $800 Tumi bag that insurance companies require receipts (not only to verify the price but to proffer proof that the item wasn't purchased in the likes of back streets in China/other) and then to depreciate the item for wear and usage since purchase, but do go ahead if the above posters are gonna guarantee you full replacement costs (at your own risk).
I am an attorney (graduated law school in '89) but have not practiced in about twenty years. And I did not tell the OP to go on a shopping spree. I recommended he ask to have his stuff cleaned/repaired/replaced unless the leak was from a pipe going out, in which case I'd ask for replacement. Again, though, I did not recommend his going on a shopping spree without first discussing the solution with the hotel.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by leeky
Very true.. I'll consult with the hotel.. At the end of the day, the shoes need replacement which were bought at Nordstrom by a Sales person I deal with a lot, and I have the receipt as it was a couple months ago. As for the Leather bag, I'll have it cleaned and conditioned.. A little wear and tear gives is character.. Again a special order from Nordies
I'm not trying to take advantage of the situation, I just want to know what to expect.. Marriott lost a nice Etro shirt of mine, and could care less.. In fact Mr. Marriott's office told me to be happy with 10,000 points and get over it.. (As a platinum with plenty stays)

If they replace my shoes, and comp my stay, and throw me some points I'll be more than pleased..
I tripped and fell at an IHG property (due to their fault completely) I was happy with them covering my hospital visit, and returning the points I paid for the stay with.. I didn't mention the several hundred on incidentals etc... I'm not a compensation whore..
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:33 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
That picture was worth a thousand words. Did you take one of the bed, too?

Hope you get a fair resolution.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:08 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Just curious looking at the photo - it makes the ceiling look like it was just a large sheet of fabric - or should it not have been some plaster or concrete -

I really wonder what could have caused this? Was there any further explanations and why only your room?

Very curious about the cause of this (sorry - do sympathize with your situation, but I am really more curious of how this happened - bad workmanship, material, etc).

Hope you don't mind posting some follow up on the incident and the root cause.

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.