Wiki Posts
Search

Near Times square?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Near Times square?

early October, conference at the Sheraton Times Sq, want to stay at a MR property. Ritz and JW are out of my price range so:

Renaissance Times Sq
Renaissance E 57th St
Marriott Marquis
RI Manhattan Central Park
(stayed at RI Times Sq last trip but it is now $550++ so hoping for another option)
Lexington NYC
Alonquin

These are all within about $100 of each other.

I need a clean, quiet room for two; walkable (1-1.5 miles) to the Sheraton; safe for my wife to walk about during the day while I am at the conference; a decent bagel place en route to the Sheraton would be a plus, but not a necessity; a fitness center included in the stay and free wifi would be valued.

I have never stayed at any of the above and welcome your suggestions.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 11:24 pm

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...york-hotel-57/

I stayed there. It was nice. Small room, large bathroom. Older hotel, older furnishing, but very quiet and comfortable. I ran out to the Starbucks next door every morning for coffee.

I liked it and would recommend it.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 2:29 pm
gsb

While I know some on here are not fans of the Marquis, it's where my wife and I usually stay in New York. It's right in the heart of Times Square and would be a great location for your wife to begin her activities. There are several subway stops close, a deli just down the street, and, again, it's in the middle of everything.

It can be busy, but we like it bette than the others we have tried.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
The Residence Inn Central Park (and Courtyard, in the same building (and not Times Square)) would be, by far, the closest to the Sheraton. You may enjoy walking, but if the weather should turn inclement, a longer walk would be really inconvenient (and don't think "I'll just grab a cab," because everyone else in the city will be doing the same thing). That part of Midtown is about as safe as any in Manhattan.

The RI/CY are relatively new properties and have gotten good marks in this forum.

Last edited by keeton; Aug 17, 2015 at 10:11 am Reason: The RI Times Square and RI Central Park are different properties!
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:56 am
Original Poster

What about the Renaissance? It appears even closer.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by psychtobe
What about the Renaissance? It appears even closer.
I misspoke in my earlier message. I actually meant the Residence Central Park (my bad!).

According to Google maps, the Ren is actually .1 mile further (5 blocks vs. 3 blocks for the RI/CP).
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
The Residence Inn / Courtyard Central Park dual branded hotel would suit your needs very well and are the closest to the Sheraton by far

The Marquis and Renaissance are close but a few blocks south relative to the Sheraton

Lexington, Algonquin and Ren 57th are a bit far for your purposes
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
To the OP, have you spent much time in NYC? While something seems close on a map, as the crow flies, so to speak, walking crosstown can take some time, just like driving. The Ren 57 would be a hike - 20 minutes, at least.

Your best bet is to either stay within a few blocks of the Sheraton, or somewhere close to a direct shot on the subway (B/D/E lines).
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by gsb
While I know some on here are not fans of the Marquis, it's where my wife and I usually stay in New York. It's right in the heart of Times Square and would be a great location for your wife to begin her activities. There are several subway stops close, a deli just down the street, and, again, it's in the middle of everything.

It can be busy, but we like it bette than the others we have tried.
Agree with everything you said; it's our favorite hotel in NYC and we enjoyed 5 nights back in July.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Adelphos
The Marquis and Renaissance are close but a few blocks south relative to the Sheraton
And a few blocks south of the Sheraton means a considerably more difficult walk because of the crowds of tourists clogging the sidewalks in Times Square.

The Residence Inn offers the added benefit of not being in Times Square.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Looking at where the Sheraton Times Square actually is (i.e., not really at Times Square at all), I would throw the JW Marriott Essex House into the mix - although it does tend to be a bit more expensive than other options.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:22 am

Renaissance Times Square

You posted that as an option....my wife and I stayed there on points a few weeks ago while visiting my parents.

• Good access to subways, especially North of the hotel. I think it was three different lines within a few blocks.
  • Rooms were an OK size, bathrooms were much larger than I expected compared to other NYC hotels.
  • Desk staff was fine, albeit had almost no interaction with them after check in. I wasn't "recognized as a Platinum member" upon check in, which personally doesn't bother me but I think they are supposed to do that if you are.
  • Maid service was fine, no issues there.
  • I picked this as it is ~300 rooms versus the far larger and chaotic Marquis

All that said not sure I would do this hotel again unless the location was key:
  • Leaving the hotel you are constantly accosted by tour bus companies selling you tickets. I am pretty calm but by the second day it was really getting aggravating.
  • Having grown up in Brooklyn I've seen Times Square repeatedly as far back as the 1970's and don't need to see it again. One block South of the hotel you are in the midst of it, with overflow crowds around the front door.
  • Other than Saturday we had breakfast at the hotel because it was complimentary for Platinums. The wait staff seemed incredibly understaffed. Just getting a coffee refill took waving my arms to flag someone down. Others were paying the $30/person buffet breakfast charge which was ridiculous for what it was and the level of service.

Although it hardly matters while sleeping, the decor *is* bizarre. The entire place was decorated with what looked like 3-D models of X and Y chromosomes. Maybe millenials understand it.

My parents live on the far upper West side so access to the A train is important. I think next time I'll be looking closer to Columbus Circle along the park.

Mike
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the additional info and food for thought. I will look at each of these options. The RI/CY at Central Park actually looks quite good and within 2 blocks of NQR and BDE, which my wife will appreciate.

I have not been to NYC often, but was there last spring when I stayed at the RI Times Square and walked daily to Javits. I enjoyed that ~20 min walk, which is not always that scenic, even in a light rain (I live in the Pacific Northwest). Of course if it starts pouring I will regret the walk. Or maybe I'll skip the conference that day and go to the Met when the skies lighten.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
For proximity, I would probably pick the Courtyard/RI combo.

Renaissance Times Square is a decent property, though there are significant renovations going on there. The regular lounge is not open and the gym is currently jammed into two adjoining bedrooms. Comment on dealing with the tourist traffic around the area is worth heeding!

The Algonquin is a bit further from the Sheraton, but I like that property a lot. You'll get the traditional "cozy" NY rooms, but there's a lot of nice detailing. Definitely more of a boutique style hotel. The "Blue Bar" on the first floor is pretty cool also for a very blue ambiance.

JW is my favorite out of the bunch, but it is pricier as mentioned.

When I have the time when staying near Central Park, I'm always trying to get a run in on the big loop there.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:01 am
Suspended

Near Times square?

Question.... I'm a Lt Platinum.... I'll be in NYC in Early Decsmber for a day.... I narrowed my choice to the Marquis or the East Side Marriott. My meeting is at the Cornell Club by Grand Central.... The east side marriott is closer but of course everyone wants to stay at the Marquis since its at Times Square...
What's everyone's opinion? Should I stay at the Marquis or the East Side FS? I know I won't get free breakfast at either on....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.