Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

What does a complimetary upgrade mean anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What does a complimetary upgrade mean anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by njcommodore

I see no problem with what the OP did. Selling upgrades, in a program that provides for complementary upgrades, is sleazy. OP wasn't asking for the presidential suite, it was a one category upgrade. I personally would have done it in person instead of over the phone. If presented with the "buy up" option at check in (and have before at the Essex House) I would have questioned what about the complementary upgrades offered as part of MR.
What the OP did was EXPECT an upgrade when the room was available -- that is why he wrote "???" because he could not comprehend not getting the upgrade when the room was available for sale -- that is a far different proposition from what the rules state and even what you -- and I-- have experienced on occasion -- an upgrade from a 1 BR to a 2 BR suite at a Residence Inn.

I will point out that I only have requested same out of jest as I usually just travel with my wife and a 1 BR is more than enough for me -- I don't know how many times I could have scored one as it is just too much room for the both of us and I would feel piggish asking for same most of the time. Further, I never had requested such an upgrade in advance of arrival -- always at check-in.

I will also note that the OP has edited his OP to make it seem far less demanding than what was originally written.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Granted frequent stays at the same property increases benefits gained, just the fact that your husband belongs to the chain's program should enhance his ability to enjoy benefits not granted to the non-member guest (unless a property HVC). What the franchisee should look at is the member may have picked their property due to the flagging more so than just the cost.
Myth. Stayed at Marriott near GSO for almost 40 weeks straight, never upgraded. Stayed at Ren DuPont Circle > 30 weeks, no upgrade ever. 25 weeks Marriott Marquis SF, never upgraded. Ren North Chicago, 17 weeks, no upgrade ever. Countless stays of like 5-10 weeks, nada, zip, zilch. I would say upgrades are luck and rate paid. I would say my rate is pretty cheap in general, heavily corp discounted.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
Myth. Stayed at Marriott near GSO for almost 40 weeks straight, never upgraded. Stayed at Ren DuPont Circle > 30 weeks, no upgrade ever. 25 weeks Marriott Marquis SF, never upgraded. Ren North Chicago, 17 weeks, no upgrade ever. Countless stays of like 5-10 weeks, nada, zip, zilch. I would say upgrades are luck and rate paid. I would say my rate is pretty cheap in general, heavily corp discounted.
I was once upgraded on a name your own price Priceline rate at the Marquis SF to a bi-level suite, but that was on a weekend and only for 1 night -- I think the length of stay can also influence your upgrade chances and in such cases is often wholly dependent upon the check-in agent, as well.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
As the FT mantra goes: YMMV

I find I get better rooms at places I frequent and get known by the property. Now I make a point of engaging the FDCs in chatter and will ask about upgrades and local happenings. I feel they truly recognize me when entering the front door and not just the standard pleasant welcome. It's what appears to work for me. May not be for everyone.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:41 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by njcommodore
I didn't need you to list the T&C considering I posted a link to them

What I was getting at is if you book a studio or 1BR an upgrade to a 2BR isn't unreasonable. Expected or guaranteed, no. But to say, as NDN did, that 2BR suites are excluded just isn't true. I've been upgraded to them on at least 2 or 3 occasions. I agree that it's at the property's discretion.

Please consider this:

Most resorts require upgrade for rooms with special views, such as ocean or bay view. All Residence Inn® and TownePlace Suites® require upgrade for 2-bedroom or penthouse suites. Marriott Vacation Club® International locations require upgrade for 2 and 3-bedroom suites.
source: https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/hotelrmup.mi

As you can see, RI properties require upgrade for 2-bedroom or penthouse suites. While they are not prohibited from doing this on a complimentary basis for status, they generally do not. Many of the RI properties have quoted this policy to me. They occasionally allowed an INSTANT upgrade for 5k points.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:43 pm
NDN

How many times did you ask for the upgrade
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LTPP, Avis +
Been long enough with marriott not to expect a complimentary upgrade unless I'm one of the top 10 of that hotel. even then it's a lottery. That's why I prefer SPG's suite upgrade system
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by NDN
How many times did you ask for the upgrade
When the FD knows my kids name, arrival and depart times, favorite take out, asking for an upgrade seems weird but your point is well taken. If a LP and current PP needs to ask then something seems a little out whack, but that's my IMO.

Marriott has treated me very well no complaints but if your expecting an UPG then this is not your chain as SPG delivers this bennie regularly. I do stay about 3-5 nights each week so that definitely plays into UPG chance but the stays and dates above are true and many more examples of zero UPGs.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:05 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Totally agree with recent responses about SPG. Suite upgrades are an integral part of their top-tier program and if that's what you want then that's the program for you.

Of course there's a price to pay, it's a much smaller chain meaning significant gaps and it's earn/burn ratio is significantly worse than its bigger cousins, but there's no denying its an attractive program if you can make it work for you.

In my experience Marriott very firmly delivers on its upgrade policy, both as a gold and plat. I'm upgraded most stays, not to suites of course, but larger rooms, corner rooms, view rooms or concierge rooms (as happened yeaterday at Ren LHR). Of course it may help that almost all my stays are 1 or 2 night only, I'd imagine hotels might Blanche at a 4-week elite upgrade!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
Totally agree with recent responses about SPG. Suite upgrades are an integral part of their top-tier program and if that's what you want then that's the program for you.

Of course there's a price to pay, it's a much smaller chain meaning significant gaps and it's earn/burn ratio is significantly worse than its bigger cousins, but there's no denying its an attractive program if you can make it work for you.

In my experience Marriott very firmly delivers on its upgrade policy, both as a gold and plat. I'm upgraded most stays, not to suites of course, but larger rooms, corner rooms, view rooms or concierge rooms (as happened yeaterday at Ren LHR). Of course it may help that almost all my stays are 1 or 2 night only, I'd imagine hotels might Blanche at a 4-week elite upgrade!
Don't get it wrong, SPG also has issues with their suite upgrades. The program calls for an upgrade to a "standard suite" as defined by the property based upon availability at check-in. Not all properties identify the same suites as "standard" and they may not include all suites in the category. Many rooms are pre-assigned prior to arrival, which is fine when it's one of my rooms, but violates the program from the get go.

The problem I see with Marriotts is they may call a room as being a higher category, but in reality it isn't. i.e. club floor rooms that aren't on the same floor as a club lounge (if they have an open lounge to begin with) is tough to consider an upgrade. Seeing a robe in the closest should not be the definition of an upgraded room. But they do it many times.

Bottom line, if I feel a property is not playing fair, I won't stay there. I doubt my $s going elsewhere will close the offending property, but my reviews and referrals just might make a dent.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I remembered that RI 2BR was excluded in the comp. upgrade for elites:

For Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites, upgrades from studio to 1- or 2-bedrooms are not guaranteed.
I found this in a post at Marriott Insiders back in 2010. They put the wording slightly difference nowadays.

IMO the only chance of getting an upgrade is to contact the GM - I found FD has little/no power over upgrades.

Also I was told by a FDC that their GM has told them to sell upgrade to all guests - there is no reason for them to enjoy a better room for free.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat4Life, Hertz Pres Circle, reformed WN AP & CP
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
The whole Marriott upgrade proposition just has no value, there is no incentive for the properties to give you an upgrade. Personally I have no real need for upgrades so it doesn't matter to me. After several hundred stays with Marriott I have only had 2 or 3 suite upgrades.
Same here. I don't expect suite upgrades. But it sure would be nice to get one every now and then, especially when the hotel is half empty Most of my upgrades are to balcony rooms that have a 5 sqft balcony or rooms that don't face the street. None of which really matter to me. The only time I've gotten a upgrade to a suite in the US was at the STL Airport Marriott (which is pretty nice now that it has been renovated).

At least, that seems to be the case in the US. I've had much better luck with hotels in Asia. The Courtyard in Beijing apologized for only being able to upgrade me to a one bedroom suite. I also got a pretty good upgrade at the JW in HK. Not a suite, but I was surprised to get anything at that hotel especially since I booked a long stay all with points. But everything seems to be better at Marriott properties in Asia.

I agree that the upgrade proposition has no value. The upgrades are too infrequent and insignificant to matter to me. Would I choose a Marriott property over an SPG just because I might get a minor upgrade? No. Marriott could get rid of this "benefit" and I wouldn't care - it adds zero value for me.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:24 am
NDN

Originally Posted by Kevin Adams
Same here. I don't expect suite upgrades. But it sure would be nice to get one every now and then, especially when the hotel is half empty Most of my upgrades are to balcony rooms that have a 5 sqft balcony or rooms that don't face the street. None of which really matter to me. The only time I've gotten a upgrade to a suite in the US was at the STL Airport Marriott (which is pretty nice now that it has been renovated).

At least, that seems to be the case in the US. I've had much better luck with hotels in Asia. The Courtyard in Beijing apologized for only being able to upgrade me to a one bedroom suite. I also got a pretty good upgrade at the JW in HK. Not a suite, but I was surprised to get anything at that hotel especially since I booked a long stay all with points. But everything seems to be better at Marriott properties in Asia.

I agree that the upgrade proposition has no value. The upgrades are too infrequent and insignificant to matter to me. Would I choose a Marriott property over an SPG just because I might get a minor upgrade? No. Marriott could get rid of this "benefit" and I wouldn't care - it adds zero value for me.
I have been upgraded virtually every time to a corner room with a better view.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Sousaphil
I don't agree that properties have no incentive to give an upgrade. My travel has me going to the same areas on a very regular basis. When I'm in the Minneapolis area, for example, I have a wide selection of Marriott family hotels, and they're not all owned by the same entity. There's a Residence Inn that works hard for my loyalty and my upgrade percentage to a 2BR suite is probably close to 70% at that property.

Contrast that with the SHS down the street, which basically has no upgrades (never been given a whirlpool room), I usually choose the RI.
That's an individual property that you frequent though. It's not your Marriott status that gets you the upgrade but your frequent visits to a single property.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:23 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
. Further, I never had requested such an upgrade in advance of arrival -- always at check-in.
While the kids are grown and out of the house now, I used to call the Plat line and ask them to call an RI to see if they would be willing to pre-upgrade us to a 2-bedroom unit (on an award stay.) Most wouldn't, but some would and I would then make the reservation right there and then. ^ If they didn't, I wouldn't yell and scream, I'd go on down the list of other possible places to stay and see what I could get.

But I agree with your point that we shouldn't be "expecting" the upgrades. If they come, great. If not, then move on (making a scene probably isn't going to change anything except get you an ulcer.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.