Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Feature: My Badges

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1 Million Miles, Marriott Plat Premier and LT Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Stop wasting my time Marriott -- I stay over 200 nights (PAID) a year -- why don't you spend the time and money on other programs that benefit MR members -- this badge program is stupid!!

Bring back the free coffee at CY
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by davidash
Stop wasting my time Marriott -- I stay over 200 nights (PAID) a year -- why don't you spend the time and money on other programs that benefit MR members -- this badge program is stupid!!

Bring back the free coffee at CY
While I do agree that the free coffee should come back, the rest of your post strikes me as a bit of an overreaction.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Is it not retroactive? Kind of crappy that the only thing it did was give me my PP badge after registering. Seems to ignore my previous stays and lifetime night history, or does it take a day to update itself?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:50 pm

I believe somewhere on the page it says it only applies to activity after you're setup. I guess they really want us to work for our badges and points...
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah, not likely that I'm going to stay another 1000+ nights any time soon.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: DL: PM, MR: Plat, AMEX Plat
You may as well get used to it, even if you don't use it. "Gamification" is only going to get more popular. People innately strive for achievements, whether real or artificial. It's been big with the PlayStation and XBOX crowd for many years.

My guess is that it's an attempt to increase interactivity with Marriott Rewards website other web (social media) properties. I doubt it'll make a difference for existing elites, but it's a way to gain stickiness among the masses that may only spend 5-10 nights a year in hotels.

Having designed programs like this, I'm sure it'll be successful among those casual travel folks.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:26 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
It seems that the new system does not work.

I participate in the MyPoints and did not receive the social badge. I have also had two Courtyard stays since registration and did not receive the CY badge.

Anyone having different experiences?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by cbellero
It seems that the new system does not work.

I participate in the MyPoints and did not receive the social badge. I have also had two Courtyard stays since registration and did not receive the CY badge.

Anyone having different experiences?
Seriously?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Joshua, in fairness to cbellero, if s/he is participating in this promo it would be irritating if the points or badges aren't posting (although not surprising given Marriott's IT dept ).

cbellero, you might want to post on Insiders your experience as someone from Marriott monitors insiders.

Cheers.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:01 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

Yeah. I know this crowd is not really social media friendly. I am not a big fan of badges per se but I do know that it is very successful in motivating behavior in many people. I am just observing what Marriott is doing and happy that they are trying to innovate and make sure they stay relevant to younger generations.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by cbellero
Yeah. I know this crowd is not really social media friendly. I am not a big fan of badges per se but I do know that it is very successful in motivating behavior in many people. I am just observing what Marriott is doing and happy that they are trying to innovate and make sure they stay relevant to younger generations.
It's not so much non-social media friendly as it isn't always worth jumping through hoops for a measly amount of points or badges - and in the last social media promo Marriott did, they changed (downward w/ no announcement) the # of points MR members got for jumping through those hoops

Cheers.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
While I couldn't care less about the badges myself, it still surprises me that some people get downright angry because Marriott has introduced them. I just can't get it. And the whole thing is even optional so nobody is forced to chase them.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by FinnishFlash
While I couldn't care less about the badges myself, it still surprises me that some people get downright angry because Marriott has introduced them. I just can't get it. And the whole thing is even optional so nobody is forced to chase them.
Huh? I haven't seen anyone get angry. Marriott, United, etc, can introduce any promos they want, whether social media or not. Everyone will evaluate whether it makes sense to sign up for those promos or go through the hoops. Those who think it will or is worth their time (or $$ depending on the promo) will do so. Others won't. There's no anger or hate in that.

And hey it's FT. We always get to dissect promos: the good, the bad, & the ugly

Cheers.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:24 am

Programs: MR Plat Prem, DL Plat, UA Silver, Avis First
I for one would love to see whatever the business case or pitch was that sold this as a good social media/rewards campaign. I hear the whole "gamification" argument, and I guess part of me says - they already had that. That's what MR is in a lot of ways anyways, right? Not quite sexy with badges, but you "level up" the more you stay, you get multipliers, status, etc. So did they really think what they were introducing was either novel or going to attract anyone? Am I going to talk to new comers at my company when they are considering hotel chains and make a case for Marriott over Hilton or Starwood because you can earn badges?

It's almost like we took the more meaningful pursuit I the MR program - status levels that matter with real benefits that matter - and tacked on something with little impact and no clear business cases to drive revenue or loyalty.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:42 am
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

TheConsultant, if you look at what people will go through to get badges and similar achievements in online games, then you would see that this could work for a new target audience. Maybe as a next step they will print the badges on the back of your card, a la LH's stars. Although everyone seems to hate the stars, it certainly generates a lot of interest.

I think the area where the badges could be most effective is to get people to try other brands within the loyalty group - two stays is achievable. Having the 500 night, 1000 night badges is not something easily achieved and mimics too much the lifetime status - I do not think these badges will promote that kind of loyalty.

That said, back to my previous question, I have had more than two stays at the same CY but have not received the CV badge. Perhaps the stays have to be at different hotels? Has anyone received a badge yet (beyond the status level badge)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.