Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tip envelopes in rooms

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2014, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Alfonso XIV
Did you tip, and if so how much? I'll tip well when warranted, but if the buffet is self-service and the waitperson is just bringing you coffee or a glass of juice, would you really tip 15%-20% on the whole check?

In this case, given the rudeness, I'd be inclined to tip little to nothing, and if need be explain to the manager why.

Yes we did tip, I think a total of 4 dollars on about about a 30 dollar total. However with 2 days in Page, we did not return to the hotel restaurant due to the unpleasantness of the entire exchange. We have traveled in Europe and Mexico and don't always know exactly what the tipping guideline are and sometimes a little guidance is a good thing, but this place was over the top.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
Originally Posted by united1kinva
I feel that you GET it. Alot of folks on here make some interesting excuses and justifications for not tipping and it comes down to being cheap and then rationalizing it (just calling it what it is) but to each their own. One dollar truly is nothing to the typical business traveller on per diem and I am quite sure they would not want nor understand the job of being a house keeper. Comparing this to other lines of work is deflection - you are still being cheap and stop sugar coating it. While I do think that writing a kudos or talking to the manager about how nice the room is (and I do it from time to time for an exceptional room) nothing beats "show me the $$$". If you truly do not have cash on hand, that is one thing. I will not comment or infer on the demographics in this forum but I can say that it likely comes into play from those making such anti tipping comments!

Bottom line: If you want to tip, do it, if not, don't try to "justify your actions" of being a cheapo! Admit you are cheap and call it a day!
Here above if a perfect example of someone who doesn't get it. How many GMs have you called out and publicly shamed for "being cheap"? Said them "I am quite sure you would not want nor understand the job of being a house keeper"? Said them that nothing beats "show me the $$$"?

Yes, GMs, the actual persons responsible for paying housekeeping staff? How many times have you accused them for being cheapos and paying only $10 per hour?

I would guess none, yet you are eager to insult guests who already paid a hefty amount for the room (all services included).

What you are saying makes no sense unless you are the owner of the business and trying to shame us into chipping in for what you should be paying your staff yourself from the money we already gave you.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by united1kinva
I feel that you GET it. Alot of folks on here make some interesting excuses and justifications for not tipping and it comes down to being cheap and then rationalizing it (just calling it what it is) but to each their own. One dollar truly is nothing to the typical business traveller on per diem and I am quite sure they would not want nor understand the job of being a house keeper. Comparing this to other lines of work is deflection - you are still being cheap and stop sugar coating it. While I do think that writing a kudos or talking to the manager about how nice the room is (and I do it from time to time for an exceptional room) nothing beats "show me the $$$". If you truly do not have cash on hand, that is one thing. I will not comment or infer on the demographics in this forum but I can say that it likely comes into play from those making such anti tipping comments!

Bottom line: If you want to tip, do it, if not, don't try to "justify your actions" of being a cheapo! Admit you are cheap and call it a day!

Here is a great article to help put it in perspective:
http://money.msn.com/saving-money-ti...7-5a2f79590dc6
Why the name-calling? Do you have trouble constructing an intelligent argument without it? 5 posts in as well. Most on FT try to discuss issues while being civil, so perhaps this is not the forum for you.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT; RITZ PLT
We tip housekeeping pretty much always. If you tip the bellman and the valet, how much more important to tip the people picking up our trash and dirty towels and making our beds? It's easier to stiff them because we rarely see them, right? We stay in a lot of higher end hotels and I sometimes find it a challenge getting housekeepers to actually take the money. I like the idea of envelopes, and I'm not surprised the cheapskates have a problem with them.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:24 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 5:28 pm
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
This is a touchy discussion, but I'll jump in anyway, since I travel a lot for business and stay at a lot of hotels. On one hand, I fully agree that exceptional service deserves a reward and I never hesitate to do so when it's truly warranted. On the other hand, any frequent traveler will tell you that once you enter the travel system, everyone has their hands out and it's impossible to reward anyone and everyone who thinks they're owed a tip. I rarely travel with a lot of cash, and all expenses go through a corporate credit card with a bean counter at the other end who has a microscope attached to his forehead. I do the best I can, but IMHO the expectations for tipping sometimes get out of hand.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Counting down to when this thread gets switched to either Omni or TravelBuzz (probably the latter since there's always a tip thread there) since we're long past the tip envelopes at Marriott properties conversation

Cheers.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Counting down to when this thread gets switched to either Omni or TravelBuzz (probably the latter since there's always a tip thread there) since we're long past the tip envelopes at Marriott properties conversation

Cheers.
I hates when this happens or is threatened as I only care or follow the Marriott and WN threads. It is very relevant. Today I struggled with a tipping decision at an ATL REN. The shampoo and mouthwash (the only things I use here) were only replaced every other day despite being used daily. I assume this is at Management's direction as the CL has been cut back tremendously as well, having stayed there for 9 years, could not get a drink in the CL last night at the attendant left for an hour at 7pm and locked everything up in here absence. So what do you do? (I tipped anyway...)
Old Jun 20, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I've seen tip envelopes in the room for all of say 35 working years. This is not new.

In that time I only worked for one employer that would not let you expense a housekeeper tip. Not the only reason I left after two years but it was a window into upper management's soul. If you see that same view in your window you might ask the same question about sticking around.

Four employers since then would and thought you should. My current boss would always tip himself and probably would mention it if you did not expense a tip.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:32 pm

I saw it once and of course I made sure not to encourage such a habit. I went and complained.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by joshua362
I hates when this happens or is threatened as I only care or follow the Marriott and WN threads. It is very relevant. Today I struggled with a tipping decision at an ATL REN. The shampoo and mouthwash (the only things I use here) were only replaced every other day despite being used daily. I assume this is at Management's direction as the CL has been cut back tremendously as well, having stayed there for 9 years, could not get a drink in the CL last night at the attendant left for an hour at 7pm and locked everything up in here absence. So what do you do? (I tipped anyway...)
My preference is the opposite of yours. If something is a generic discussion that doesn't pertain to Marriott (or goes so generic/off track that Marriott's left in the dust), then I'd rather see it go in the general forums that deal with such topics. If it's a general topic that is tied into Marriott & stays with Marriott (with a bit of side-tracking), then Marriott forum is the appropriate place.

You brought what was turning into a generic topic back to Marriott with putting your experience of ATL Ren ^. To answer your question, in the situation you describe above, I wouldn't have tipped.

Cheers.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: KLM FB, BA EC, Miles&Mafia, Delta SM, Mile High Club
to all at hotels, bars, restaurants, etc.:

Away with those envelopes!

It's OK to receive tips, and I understand that some countries (USA included) have totally inadequate minimum wages, but you do NOT ask for tips. Not with an envelope, not by circling "service not included" on the bill and scribbling some smiley faces on it, not by using credit card slips with a dedicated line for tips on them, not by holding out your hand.

You're an employee. You're not a beggar, so don't act like one.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Let's face it, until the US adopts a living wage minimum wage, and we are willing to pay an extra couple of dollars a night to ensure the lowest paid staff get such a wage, then as with wait staff, it becomes the customer who must subsidize the employer by leaving tips for the poorest paid.
Do you research the pay scale of each employee group at each hotel you visit? Do you not tip when the locale has instituted a living wage approach? Or such has been negotiated into the wages? How do you make the decision when not to tip?

For example I am familiar with restaurants who inform customers that tips are not accepted as they pay their staff appropriate wages. Personally I prefer the employer who is in a position to assess sustained performance to make wage decisions rather than leaving it to the randomness of transient clientele.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I've seen that occasionally.

Cheers.
Same here [housekeeper card]. But I have never seen a tip envelope in a Marriott property- I usually just fold one of the memo sheets in half and write a message of thanks for the room service and tip up to $5/day. I am not a high-maintenance guest.

The oblivions that are, e.g., jamming a couple of kids into the room, which ends up with gear adrift everywhere, beds torn apart, the bath a disaster and a nightmare for room service - will usually leave ... nothing.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by ohmark
Like most of us, I always leave a tip for the room attendant. Never heard of a "tip envelope."
I am with you. I have been leaving $2.00 every morning of a stay for several years, except when I am dissatisfied, i e. like one afternoon last week, when my dinner dishes from the previous evening were still in the room. ( I had brought some grilled lamb chops from home, and if you are a fan of lamb, you know that even dishes that have been rinsed can develop a certain odor, but this is OT.)

My point in bringing up the matter of the tip, is to see whether there is a consensus among us who leave a gratuity in the room, as to the appropriate amount.

In closing, I would like to add that this question, is not meant to reopen the question about whether one should tip the room attendant or not. We should respect each other's views on this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.