FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tip envelopes in rooms
View Single Post
Old Jun 18, 2014, 4:47 pm
elva

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
Originally Posted by united1kinva
I feel that you GET it. Alot of folks on here make some interesting excuses and justifications for not tipping and it comes down to being cheap and then rationalizing it (just calling it what it is) but to each their own. One dollar truly is nothing to the typical business traveller on per diem and I am quite sure they would not want nor understand the job of being a house keeper. Comparing this to other lines of work is deflection - you are still being cheap and stop sugar coating it. While I do think that writing a kudos or talking to the manager about how nice the room is (and I do it from time to time for an exceptional room) nothing beats "show me the $$$". If you truly do not have cash on hand, that is one thing. I will not comment or infer on the demographics in this forum but I can say that it likely comes into play from those making such anti tipping comments!

Bottom line: If you want to tip, do it, if not, don't try to "justify your actions" of being a cheapo! Admit you are cheap and call it a day!
Here above if a perfect example of someone who doesn't get it. How many GMs have you called out and publicly shamed for "being cheap"? Said them "I am quite sure you would not want nor understand the job of being a house keeper"? Said them that nothing beats "show me the $$$"?

Yes, GMs, the actual persons responsible for paying housekeeping staff? How many times have you accused them for being cheapos and paying only $10 per hour?

I would guess none, yet you are eager to insult guests who already paid a hefty amount for the room (all services included).

What you are saying makes no sense unless you are the owner of the business and trying to shame us into chipping in for what you should be paying your staff yourself from the money we already gave you.