Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Visa Anniversary Certificate - who can use?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visa Anniversary Certificate - who can use?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Question Visa Anniversary Certificate - who can use?

HI -I have a VISA anniversary certificate for cat 1-5. As they have changed the categories for so many places, I will not be able to use it myself before it expires. Is it possible to make a reservation for my daughter to use it?
Thanks,
Sue
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
The official answer is "no."

What has worked in the past is after you make the reservation in your name call the hotel directly and speak to the manager. Explain to the manager the you just had a client meeting that came up and you plan to arrive at the hotel a bit later once you are done w/ the client but your daughter will be checking in. They should take her details and probably add her to the reservation. Just make sure you are reachable on the cell phone when she checks in if something comes up.

Good luck!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:01 am
GGE

Programs: DL, US, AA, Marriott Silver, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond
I didn't know this was a problem. I booked a room about 5-6 weeks ago for myself ( paid with gift cards later after guaranteeing it to my Marriott card) and another one for my cousin (in my name) using my e-certificate. When I arrived to check in I told them that I was checking in for my own room and that I had booked the other room for my cousin who would be there later, and they said "oh sure ok no problem".

Perhaps it went smoothly because I was actually present in the hotel. I'm not sure. Hope this helps in some way.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by miles_navigator
The official answer is "no."

What has worked in the past is after you make the reservation in your name call the hotel directly and speak to the manager. Explain to the manager the you just had a client meeting that came up and you plan to arrive at the hotel a bit later once you are done w/ the client but your daughter will be checking in. They should take her details and probably add her to the reservation. Just make sure you are reachable on the cell phone when she checks in if something comes up.

Good luck!
Yes, telling the hotel something that isn't true might work, but you do realize many people, including district attorneys, call that stealing, right? While you might get away with it, is that really how you want to operate? I've long held the opinion that we, on this board, should not be encouraging people to steal.

Our beloved BOGOs were taken away because Marriott claimed there were abuses. Isn't it a logical conclusion that abusing certs could lead Marriott to make the same decision for certs?

Originally Posted by GGE
I didn't know this was a problem. I booked a room about 5-6 weeks ago for myself ( paid with gift cards later after guaranteeing it to my Marriott card) and another one for my cousin (in my name) using my e-certificate. When I arrived to check in I told them that I was checking in for my own room and that I had booked the other room for my cousin who would be there later, and they said "oh sure ok no problem".

Perhaps it went smoothly because I was actually present in the hotel. I'm not sure. Hope this helps in some way.
When my sister tried to check into a hotel where I had two rooms reserved under both our names, one on a Visa Anniversary Cert, the hotel let her check into both rooms after explaining to her the Cert would not be applied until I physically checked in at the desk. I was there an hour later and the cert was applied. I would not use the cert for your daughter unless you are prepared for her to be standing at the desk being told the cert cannot be used.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
They take a hard line on the non-transferability of Visa and MegaBonus ecerts.

Once when I checked in on one of these certs at the Marriott downtown PIT, I could see the FD clerk's screen and it said in all caps: "MEMBER MUST BE PRESENT AT CHECKIN".

I would not try it unless your daughter is prepared to pay rack rate or not check in if this plan goes south.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.