Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Toiletries Line for FS/Marriott?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Toiletries Line for FS/Marriott?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
So are they switching to just one physical bar of soap? I liked having 2 - one for the sink and one for the shower. Maybe it's because of the odd shape of the new soap but where I was yesterday didn't have a dish for the soap.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: MR Gold
New Line of Soap etc.

I stayed at the Madison Marriott West this month and they had a new line of toiletries. The bar soap was THANN in a funky size box and a funky size bar. The bar look liked a someone had chipped a piece of stone off a mountain. Kind of cool.

The shampoo, conditioner and lotion were in new packages but best I can tell it was the same stuff as before. Also, there was a body wash in the shower/tub.

I tried the body wash and was not impressed, so I used the bar of soap after that. But you only get one bar of soap, which I would assume is for washing hands at the sink.

I did not like the lotion smell, but I think I would only be happy if it was unscented. Years ago I was at Marriott in Norfolk, VA that had Neutrogena sp? lotion that was pretty good. At least my wife like that one when I brought it home.

I hope they change the tired looking brown soap dish, cotton ball holder and toiletries stand.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I just checked into a FS Marriott last night and it was all Thann. And since the bar soap was not either place where I was used to it (in the soap dish next to the sink and/or on the bathtub ledge) nor a shape that I expect for a soap bar, I didn't think there was soap in the room, and I called the front desk and they explained that it's the triangle shaped box. (I had assumed that was a shower cap or something, because that's similar to the box shape some hotel or other used to use for shower caps!)
It does have words SOAP on it

Old Nov 26, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Originally Posted by neos
Just arrived from the Conrad Macau (where we were upgraded to a HUGE suite) and lo and behold, Aromatherapy Associates as well!
I actually like the Aromatherapy shower/bath gel^

The new stuff the FS hotels are using I'm not a fan of the fragrance it has.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
then by all means, please stay at the Conrad/Hiltons instead of Marriotts from now on..........

Originally Posted by neos
Just arrived from the Conrad Macau (where we were upgraded to a HUGE suite) and lo and behold, Aromatherapy Associates as well!
Originally Posted by wethereyet
I actually like the Aromatherapy shower/bath gel^
The new stuff the FS hotels are using I'm not a fan of the fragrance it has.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
then by all means, please stay at the Conrad/Hiltons instead of Marriotts from now on..........
That really wasn't called for.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
sure it was - if the Conrad/Hilton's are offering something SO GREAT that the Marriott's don't have then certainly one should stay at the Conrad/Hilton's cause doesn't everyone choose their hotel by the bath amenities offered

Originally Posted by iztok
That really wasn't called for.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It does have words SOAP on it
Somehwere on it, yes.

But, first of all, my hotel didn't put the shower cap next to it. (In fact, I'm not sure that my room had a shower cap at all.)

And I wasn't reading every word. The word "soap" is buried in the middle of mubmo jumbo about "rice bran". If the shape was obviously that of soap, it'd be ok to bury the word "soap" after "rice bran". When it's not at all clear from the shape or context (nowhere near the soap dish) that it's soap, IMHO it should more clearly explain that it is.

I dismissed it because of the shape and because of it being in between all those bottles. Not only have I never seen soap in that shape, I have never before seen a hotel present the soap in a vertical box. Either it's been a horizontal box, or in a few cases conventional-shape soap mounted vertically but in see-through packaging, which makes it obvious it's soap.

The other disorienting thing, of course, is that there's now only one soap (whereas before there were two, one at the sink and one at the bathtub), and it's not placed anywhere near either of the places where the soap used to be placed.

At any rate, it seems to be an effort to push people toward the hand wash and the body wash and away from the soap. (If the hand wash was in a dispenser I just needed to push, I might use it. But in a bottle I have to open, it's more work than soap.)
Old Nov 27, 2013, 3:13 pm

Somehwere on it, yes.

But, first of all, my hotel didn't put the shower cap next to it. (In fact, I'm not sure that my room had a shower cap at all.)

And I wasn't reading every word. The word "soap" is buried in the middle of mubmo jumbo about "rice bran". If the shape was obviously that of soap, it'd be ok to bury the word "soap" after "rice bran". When it's not at all clear from the shape or context (nowhere near the soap dish) that it's soap, IMHO it should more clearly explain that it is.

I dismissed it because of the shape and because of it being in between all those bottles. Not only have I never seen soap in that shape, I have never before seen a hotel present the soap in a vertical box. Either it's been a horizontal box, or in a few cases conventional-shape soap mounted vertically but in see-through packaging, which makes it obvious it's soap.

The other disorienting thing, of course, is that there's now only one soap (whereas before there were two, one at the sink and one at the bathtub), and it's not placed anywhere near either of the places where the soap used to be placed.

At any rate, it seems to be an effort to push people toward the hand wash and the body wash and away from the soap. (If the hand wash was in a dispenser I just needed to push, I might use it. But in a bottle I have to open, it's more work than soap.)
I am an engineer. When presented with new situation I evaluate it and try to find a solution before I solicit help. Thus when I saw new line I went and examined all of the bottles and boxes available. It was really easy to identify the soap even for me.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am an engineer. When presented with new situation I evaluate it and try to find a solution before I solicit help. Thus when I saw new line I went and examined all of the bottles and boxes available. It was really easy to identify the soap even for me.
Well, I was tired after a long day, and "soliciting help" is fairly easy in this case (calling the front desk, who were able to explain it to me, as I mentioned before). I guess if it had not been that easy, I probably would have given it a second closer look.

I don't know if this was the case for you, but in my case it was a return visit to a spedific hotel where I've spent many dozens of nights already this year (including last time less than two months ago). So it was this one disorienting bit in an otherwise very familiar looking room.

Also, in between this stay and my last stay there, I'd stayed a few times at hotels which discouraged bar soap (by making only tiny little micro-soap available, or by making bar soap only available on request) and otherwise pushing (through dispensers on the shower wall) body wash and (through dispensers on the sink area wall) liquid soap. So my first assumption, after seeing bottles of body wash, was that Marriott too could have actually elminated the soap (or made it on-request only) too.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Ran into this in FLL North FS.

Was confused- but figured FT would hold the answer.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
The dispenser option is great if it's clean thoroughly. I have seen in some places (in Scandinavia) where there is mold in the dispenser or area around it which is absolutely unhygienic.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Why oh why cannot we have two bars of soap as the default arrangement?

I thought this would be addressed shortly after the new Thann soap was introduced, but this weekend I had another FS Marriott stay (Griffin Gate in Lexington), and still only one bar of soap.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer
Why oh why cannot we have two bars of soap as the default arrangement?

I thought this would be addressed shortly after the new Thann soap was introduced, but this weekend I had another FS Marriott stay (Griffin Gate in Lexington), and still only one bar of soap.
You have hand wash that has the same function.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
You have hand wash that has the same function.
This. Actually there's a bar of soap, shower gel, and hand wash, so it's pretty much covered.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.