Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Any way to use an award/certificate for non-standard room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum

I recently applied for the Marriott VISA and got the category 1-4 award with it, which is only valid for 6 months. Looking at my travel during that time, many of my accommodations are already booked. Some hotel stays are business trips, and there's no reason to use a free night on one of those. For my personal trips, there would be 5 or 6 of us, and I can't find any standard rooms any of the places we're going that would accommodate us.

There are upgraded rooms (like a 2BR Residence Inn) available that would work perfect, but of course the certificate is only for a standard room. If I call the hotel, would they be willing/able to accept the certificate, if I paid the difference between the regular room and the upgraded room?

My only other options would be to try to get it extended (but I'll probably run into the same problem), use it for a business trip (I can't see any reason I would want to do that), or let it expire.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you try online? Many times when searching for an award room upgrades are offered online,
Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

I did look online, but the 2BR suites only show up for cash searches. If I search for award rooms, only the smaller rooms show up.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Hasn't worked for me..
Old Apr 22, 2013, 4:58 pm
Suspended

I would book the smaller room and then call the hotel and ask nicely if you could be upgraded to the larger room. If not, ask if you can pay a co-pay plus the cert for the 2 BR suites. Further commentary will likely be anecdotal as the disposition of your request is up to the particular hotel you are interested at staying.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
I did look online, but the 2BR suites only show up for cash searches. If I search for award rooms, only the smaller rooms show up.
I'm a big user of points at RI's across the country and find this is very property specific whether they offer studio and/or one bedroom as redemption, usually at the same point cost!

And I've seen a few (rare) that offer a 5,000 per night point upgrade to go Studio to 1 BR and another 5,000 to 2 BR. Had a fight with a Manager once who plucked a couple of 5,000 pointers from my account when I thought I had received a complementary PLT upgrade.

Booking the 1BR and asking at check-in is probably your best bet...
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:51 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joshua362
Booking the 1BR and asking at check-in is probably your best bet...
If I really want to get a 2BR, instead of booking the award online, I will call the Plat line and ask the agent to call the hotel and see if I can get a 2BR award. I'm not sure why, but as mentioned, you quite often won't see a 2BR available for awards, but when the Plat agent asks, they will let you reserve one.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhoope01
If I really want to get a 2BR, instead of booking the award online, I will call the Plat line and ask the agent to call the hotel and see if I can get a 2BR award. I'm not sure why, but as mentioned, you quite often won't see a 2BR available for awards, but when the Plat agent asks, they will let you reserve one.
Ah, great suggestion. I'll have to try that. Next week.

Right now I'm just Silver (with 40 nights). I have another 27 nights booked right now, and will definitely hit 75 this year. I don't have enough stays in any 90 day period to hit Platinum through the challenge, but I plan on doing the challenge starting May 2 so I can get Platinum status for my May, June, July and August stays. (Then I'll drop down to Gold for October and November, before hitting Platinum the hard way in December.)
Old Apr 23, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Ah, great suggestion. I'll have to try that. Next week.

Right now I'm just Silver (with 40 nights). I have another 27 nights booked right now, and will definitely hit 75 this year. I don't have enough stays in any 90 day period to hit Platinum through the challenge, but I plan on doing the challenge starting May 2 so I can get Platinum status for my May, June, July and August stays. (Then I'll drop down to Gold for October and November, before hitting Platinum the hard way in December.)
Wow, sounds like a lot of work, good luck. Only caveat I can offer as a Platinum Premier for several years as that if your short term PLT goal is solely for the upgrades, there may be some disappointment... If its for the gift, override or extra points, your satisfaction may vary.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
Wow, sounds like a lot of work, good luck. Only caveat I can offer as a Platinum Premier for several years as that if your short term PLT goal is solely for the upgrades, there may be some disappointment... If its for the gift, override or extra points, your satisfaction may vary.
I'm not really expecting any upgrades. I'll only have three stays during the challenge. One is in a Springhill Suites, and they don't have any bigger rooms that what I reserved. One is at a Residence Inn, and although an upgrade would be nice, I think it's doubtful. The third is a MVGC exchange, so definitely no upgrades and virtually no other perks. Mainly, I'm looking for the Platinum gifts, breakfast/lounge access (if I end up booking a property where that makes a difference), access to the Platinum phone lines, and the extra points.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
I'm not really expecting any upgrades. I'll only have three stays during the challenge. One is in a Springhill Suites, and they don't have any bigger rooms that what I reserved. One is at a Residence Inn, and although an upgrade would be nice, I think it's doubtful. The third is a MVGC exchange, so definitely no upgrades and virtually no other perks. Mainly, I'm looking for the Platinum gifts, breakfast/lounge access (if I end up booking a property where that makes a difference), access to the Platinum phone lines, and the extra points.

The platinum override also has been very hit or miss for me. I find a lot of the times they cant even overdide and book me into the property I want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.