Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

hotel says I don't have a confirmation but I do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

hotel says I don't have a confirmation but I do

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by socrates
Actually they all do....guests shouldn't have to mediate anything

Yes I've been up since 3 and a tad crabby...stuff like what the OP is experiencing shouldn't happen in this industry regardless of hotel brand...IMO the hotel messed up and this is not the way I've always handled similar situations (oh the $$$ I've spent on mistakes over my career....but the $$$ I've made from the loyalty is greater)
I agree 100%. This sort of situation is disgraceful and shouldn't happen in the hospitality industry.

I probably shouldn't have written "most hotel chains don't have specific guidelines to handle these situations", as I don't have knowledge of the official policy for most chains.

It comes down to leadership at the hotel. A good GM will always strive to act with integrity. A bad GM will create a culture that tell employees it's okay to lie to guests and say it was a "computer error".
Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

update

I did email the hotel today, putting my understanding of what I had been told in writing and indicating that I was stressing out over not knowing what would happen. I did get a nice reply back, apologizing for the stress they were causing, and indicating they are planning on keeping me at the original property. (I am certain because I raised a fuss, and I told her we were celebrating my birthday, and this trip is a birthday present for me, which it is.) They indicated that if they had to move me, I would receive "$100 and 2 comped night vouchers".

She did say they fixed the problem in the computer. (I told her of it in my email.) She also apologized for taking so long to get back to me, but it has been "crazy" at the hotel.

I'm sure it has been!
Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by linzie
I did email the hotel today, putting my understanding of what I had been told in writing and indicating that I was stressing out over not knowing what would happen. I did get a nice reply back, apologizing for the stress they were causing, and indicating they are planning on keeping me at the original property. (I am certain because I raised a fuss, and I told her we were celebrating my birthday, and this trip is a birthday present for me, which it is.) They indicated that if they had to move me, I would receive "$100 and 2 comped night vouchers".

She did say they fixed the problem in the computer. (I told her of it in my email.) She also apologized for taking so long to get back to me, but it has been "crazy" at the hotel.

I'm sure it has been!
Glad to hear it worked out.

Just tried to book a room and it is no longer available so seems it was corrected.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:28 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Check in as early in the afternoon as you can.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by joshua362
How often / frequent can the PLT Override exemption be invoked? Just for one night like this?

What prevents local properties from being overrun by PLT's demanding overrrides and having to walk the world away. With Marriott corporate minting PLT's so easily lately, is this a new potential problem?
1) hotels can only apply for 1 PLT Override per stay date (ie the max they can be granted in a given year is 365 unless it's leap year then it increases by 1)

2) a good hotel will manage their inventory and know the high demand events an plan accordingly....this isn't a new problem, IMO this was a case of bad execution by the hotel....the 48 hour guarantee isn't really difficult to honor for hotels, you just have to apply some common sense to it (ie mid-week has more plt demand than say a Sunday...so ok you take the proper steps to ensure the inventory is there and PLT Overrides don't cause an issue...in a sense hotels are holding some rooms for plats until 2 days before)
Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I agree 100%. This sort of situation is disgraceful and shouldn't happen in the hospitality industry.

I probably shouldn't have written "most hotel chains don't have specific guidelines to handle these situations", as I don't have knowledge of the official policy for most chains.

It comes down to leadership at the hotel. A good GM will always strive to act with integrity. A bad GM will create a culture that tell employees it's okay to lie to guests and say it was a "computer error".
I'm glad you agree I was crabby from being up at 3am yesterday (just kidding-I know my humor isn't much better at 3am either)

The 2 excuses that make me cringe at the front desk are 1) central reservations did it (umm..they don't have the same authority in the system as the hotel does) 2) computer error.....ah consultants in the industry love to hear both (and many others like it) as it keeps the business flowing in

Last edited by socrates; Apr 12, 2013 at 4:28 am
Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by linzie
They indicated that if they had to move me, I would receive "$100 and 2 comped night vouchers".
Just a reminder to all - the $ amount varies by brand and the 2 comped night vouchers are not ones for that specific hotel - they are called "ultimate night certificates" and are good globally (and they are not cheap...I looked up the cost hotel's pay for them few weeks ago - the price hadn't increased but they are still extremely expensive...when I'd give them out I'd always tell the person receiving them to be sure to use them somewhere they'd get maximum value out of them...Rome, Paris etc not the local Fairfield Inn)

PS Glad the hotel came through for you
Old Apr 12, 2013, 8:57 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
1) hotels can only apply for 1 PLT Override per stay date (ie the max they can be granted in a given year is 365 unless it's leap year then it increases by 1)
I am not sure I understand this.

Does that mean they can block Platinum overrides every day or that they can only block 365 rooms total or something else?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I have a similar question.

Does this mean that only 1 PLT can get an override on a given night? That would mean the PLT member benefit is "guaranteed availability, unless one other person already has"

Or if it's 365 for the year, "guaranteed availability, unless we gave out a bunch earlier in the year so even though you're the first one, nothing for you".

This doesn't align with my understanding of the benefit. I thought it was guaranteed availability unless Corporate Marriott granted and event-/date-specific waiver.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat
Maybe they were having computer problems? It is showing "rooms not available" on the flexible night search through August.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 1:56 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I think socrates meant Platinums can only apply for 1 PLT Overide per stay day...
Old Apr 12, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I think socrates meant Platinums can only apply for 1 PLT Overide per stay day...
I think so too, my question was poorly worded. I was wondering from a Hotel's perspective, how many Corporate Marriott granted and event-/date-specific waiver can be given in a year or how frequently granted.

I could see problems if a gaggle of PLT's decided to descend on a smaller property for some odd reason - (I imagine its a far stretch that most Berkshire Hathaway shareholders are wealthy traveling PLT's). I guess that's why overrides pay rack rate....
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:00 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joshua362
...how many Corporate Marriott granted and event-/date-specific waiver can be given in a year or how frequently granted.
I don't know that there is a "hard" limit to the number or how frequently they will be granted. From earlier posts, I do believe that the hotel has to show Marriott Corp that all the hotel inventory (rooms) have been contracted by a group or individual. When that happens, the hotel doesn't have any rooms for anyone, even Plats, as the group/individual has contracted for them.

So if a hotel (i.e. possibly a conference hotel) has a lot of "events" that contract for its rooms inventory, then I suspect it may happen a lot.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rthib
I am not sure I understand this.

Does that mean they can block Platinum overrides every day or that they can only block 365 rooms total or something else?
it means a hotel can apply for up to 365 blackouts in a given year (ie there is no limit)...but the requests MUST meet the conditions set by MI HQ
Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
I have a similar question.

Does this mean that only 1 PLT can get an override on a given night? That would mean the PLT member benefit is "guaranteed availability, unless one other person already has"

Or if it's 365 for the year, "guaranteed availability, unless we gave out a bunch earlier in the year so even though you're the first one, nothing for you".

This doesn't align with my understanding of the benefit. I thought it was guaranteed availability unless Corporate Marriott granted and event-/date-specific waiver.
A recent change to the system (I can't recall exactly how long about but it was within the last 2-3 year I believe) the system will automatically keep track of the number of Plat Overrides a member has on each specific day, there is a hard limit of 1 Plat Override per day per member

Your understanding is correct...hotels can't control turning the Plat Overrides off, only MI HQ can

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.