Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

hotel says I don't have a confirmation but I do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

hotel says I don't have a confirmation but I do

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: LTP, PP
If I had an easy flight there I'd be tempted to book, go and join in all the resulting fun!!!
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by linzie
I am starting to feel sorry for the people who work at this hotel.....
You made me feel bad, so I cancelled our reservation. I was going to leave it out there for a bit and see what happened.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
They probably haven't needed to for the last few years. I guess it's a sign of an improving economy that we are seeing more of theses "property won't honor my booking" posts. There are a few in the SPG forum.
For many events, I would agree with you, but for the BH annual pilgrimage, they are packed to the gills every year. This was clearly human error.

Mike
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Was just able to book a room at the $229 rate for 5/3-5/4.

I will cancel of course but seems it is still an issue.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
If an Elite Member has a confirmed reservation, but is relocated from the hotel upon arrival, the property will pay the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee compensation in place on that date under the Program Rules.
You have a confirmed reservation until they cancel it. I would tell them you won't discuss this over the phone anymore, as far as you are concerned and the Marriott computer system is concerned, you have a confirmed reservation in writing. If they are cancelling your reservation, they need to send you notice in writing. Calling you on the phone and telling you "you don't have a reservation" does not serve as appropriate notice of cancellation. (They have to admit you have a reservation before they can cancel it. @:-))

Obviously they have made a monumental error and are trying to wiggle out of it without doing anything to admit the error. Make them admit the error. They must either honor the reservation, cancel your reservation, or walk you after you arrive on property. There are no other options, unless you give them those options. Likely, if you play hardball, they will move on to easier prey who will let them get away with it.

You should definitely go ahead and book a fully refundable backup room at another hotel, even if it's really expensive. You had a written contract, they are threatening to breach it. Your legal responsibility is to try to minimize your damages caused by the breach of contract. You can recoup the additional expenses (i.e. damages) later if Marriott does indeed breach the contract.

Personally, I would just call Marriott corporate and raise hell. It can't possibly be that they have already walked/canceled/denied every single non-Plat guest who had a confirmed reservation, so why are they targeting Marriott elites?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
For one of you plats who has made and canceled a reservation, see if you can book it again.

OPs easiest solution may be to cancel and re-book. Obviously the hotel is aware of the error and has taken steps to prevent a recurrence, so anything booked now would be valid, correct?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by janetdoe
For one of you plats who has made and canceled a reservation, see if you can book it again.

OPs easiest solution may be to cancel and re-book. Obviously the hotel is aware of the error and has taken steps to prevent a recurrence, so anything booked now would be valid, correct?
Went to book a second room and got the "no rooms available" pop up.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Platinum,
Originally Posted by apodo77
Went to book a second room and got the "no rooms available" pop up.
Just tried, and I can still book a room as a plat, which is pretty ridiculous. So the hotel can't put a lid on this? Any plat can book one room and the hotel can't refuse, even when they are trying to oust previously booked guests?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by janetdoe
You have a confirmed reservation until they cancel it. I would tell them you won't discuss this over the phone anymore, as far as you are concerned and the Marriott computer system is concerned, you have a confirmed reservation in writing. If they are cancelling your reservation, they need to send you notice in writing. Calling you on the phone and telling you "you don't have a reservation" does not serve as appropriate notice of cancellation. (They have to admit you have a reservation before they can cancel it. @:-))

Obviously they have made a monumental error and are trying to wiggle out of it without doing anything to admit the error. Make them admit the error. They must either honor the reservation, cancel your reservation, or walk you after you arrive on property. There are no other options, unless you give them those options. Likely, if you play hardball, they will move on to easier prey who will let them get away with it.

You should definitely go ahead and book a fully refundable backup room at another hotel, even if it's really expensive. You had a written contract, they are threatening to breach it. Your legal responsibility is to try to minimize your damages caused by the breach of contract. You can recoup the additional expenses (i.e. damages) later if Marriott does indeed breach the contract.

Personally, I would just call Marriott corporate and raise hell. It can't possibly be that they have already walked/canceled/denied every single non-Plat guest who had a confirmed reservation, so why are they targeting Marriott elites?
And how's that gonna help OP get a place to sleep?

How about some practical advice. Every minute that is passing, there are fewer physical rooms to be had anywhere near where OP wants to be. All very well to schlep out there to berate some minimum wage worker at a FD and then go sleep in a box under a bridge or whatever.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:32 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
[QUOTE=yul lite;20575431]Just tried, and I can still book a room as a plat, which is pretty ridiculous. So the hotel can't put a lid on this? [QUOTE]No they can't as they don't control the Plat Overide capability that is only held by corporate which is running exactly has designed. This doesn't allow any hotel to try and circumvent the Plat Benefits. The hotel should have planned better.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by Often1
And how's that gonna help OP get a place to sleep?

How about some practical advice. Every minute that is passing, there are fewer physical rooms to be had anywhere near where OP wants to be. All very well to schlep out there to berate some minimum wage worker at a FD and then go sleep in a box under a bridge or whatever.
I think OP is in good standing. This is EXACTLY what Platinum Override is meant for. Should they walk him, he is entitled for a nice compensation. However he does have a valid reservation as he played by the rules. It is hotel that wants to get out of the mess.

Practical advice? Call Platinum line and have them call GM explain the Platinum Override and explain that customer has a valid reservation and should they decide to walk him to be prepared to pay up.

I think the only thing Op really needs is the above (Platinum desk to contact GM and explain the rules and that OP insists on keeping reservation).
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As discussed above ad nauseam, OP needs a room. He's headed to a city which will be packed. Walking him means walking him to the parking lot. Whether OP gets a measly couple of bucks has zippo to do with fixing the problem which is finding him a place to stay.

Whether he's entitled to compensation having been forewarned is an interesting question, but even if OP is entitled to compensation because he shows up after being told well in advance that he doesn't have a room, it's not going to get him a room.

This exact same sort of thread repeats itself around the Super Bowl and a bunch of other major events and the answer is always the same. A bunch of the Greek Chorus types moaning about something that doesn't help. And then someone who knows the area finding a place.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

I can't thank everyone enough for their thoughts. It is really helping me try to figure this out. Marriott has always done right by me. I feel they treat me very well, at least up until now. I have not yet heard anything back from them, but I am sure they are very busy right now I would like to give them an opportunity to sort this out without going over their head and raising a big fuss. I am giving them until close of business tomorrow to get back to me, then I will contact platinum customer service to see if they will help me. I will certainly keep you all posted.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Here's a silly, but, practical idea. Rent a mini van, bring a sleeping bag, collect the 2 free nights (anywhere in the world I've read), sleep in the car and shower in the gym in the AM.

Are other Marriott hotels in the area having similar problems, can rooms be obtained via the PLT overrides too?

How often / frequent can the PLT Override exemption be invoked? Just for one night like this?

What prevents local properties from being overrun by PLT's demanding overrrides and having to walk the world away. With Marriott corporate minting PLT's so easily lately, is this a new potential problem?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I don't see how your advice is helpful if the hotel does not want to accomodate the guest. Offering a room 50 miles away is not a real alternative, unless the property is going to provide door to door transportation for the guest. Given their lackluster response, I don't see that happening. Any reasonable alternative is going to cost the hotel some serious money.

Originally Posted by Often1
As discussed above ad nauseam, OP needs a room. He's headed to a city which will be packed. Walking him means walking him to the parking lot. Whether OP gets a measly couple of bucks has zippo to do with fixing the problem which is finding him a place to stay.

Whether he's entitled to compensation having been forewarned is an interesting question, but even if OP is entitled to compensation because he shows up after being told well in advance that he doesn't have a room, it's not going to get him a room.

This exact same sort of thread repeats itself around the Super Bowl and a bunch of other major events and the answer is always the same. A bunch of the Greek Chorus types moaning about something that doesn't help. And then someone who knows the area finding a place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.