Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

hotel says I don't have a confirmation but I do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

hotel says I don't have a confirmation but I do

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This thread points to a routine problem on FT: mixing & mingling two issues: 1) solving the problem; and 2) whether there is some compensation or other CS gesture appropriate to the situation.

First, does OP need a room? Presuming that the answer is that he does, the key is to work on finding a room, either at the property or elsewhere. Routinely, overbooks and then oversales occur. But, only during major events does this become a crisis because there simply aren't rooms to be held so "walking" someone means that they don't have a room anywhere or it's somewhere truly bad.

Second, is something due to OP? That can be dealt with after solving #1. In fact, it can be dealt with after the stay is completed.

Right now, OP wants 100% of the property's efforts devoted to finding him a room, whether it's at the property and maybe it's elsewhere. But, the property has a better to suss out the other place which they know has space because they've got people on the ground and they all talk.

Remember, it's an intesting academic argument about whether OP "has a reservation." But, the property hands out the key cards and if you don't have a key card, no amount of posturing or academic discussions changes the fact that you're not getting into a room.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I think the hotel screwed up and is trying to minimize their losses. If the hotel overbooks, it is their responsibility to accomodate guests who show up. It is not the customer's responsibility to accomodate the hotel.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I'd be interesting in knowing the rate you originally got vs. what they are being sold or replaced for now.

My sinister mind suspects they had "normal" rates loaded when you got the reservation, then realized it was a "special weekend" after being sold out and now are trying replace the "computer glitch" reservations with higher, gouge like rates.

After all, they are blaming it on the computer. Yea, it wasn't programmed for the right $$$...

Should be easy for Marriott Corporate to prove / disprove if they really cared.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
I'd be interesting in knowing the rate you originally got vs. what they are being sold or replaced for now.

My sinister mind suspects they had "normal" rates loaded when you got the reservation, then realized it was a "special weekend" after being sold out and now are trying replace the "computer glitch" reservations with higher, gouge like rates.

After all, they are blaming it on the computer. Yea, it wasn't programmed for the right $$$...

Should be easy for Marriott Corporate to prove / disprove if they really cared.
The rate I paid was $229 for one night. With tax it is $266. This is considerably more than their normal rate. Despite people saying they can still buy a room there, I can't. It looks like it will allow it, but when I click on "complete reservation" it now says "sorry, there are no more rooms available at this hotel".
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by linzie
The rate I paid was $229 for one night. With tax it is $266. This is considerably more than their normal rate. Despite people saying they can still buy a room there, I can't. It looks like it will allow it, but when I click on "complete reservation" it now says "sorry, there are no more rooms available at this hotel".
I just did and got one!!!!

Confirmation Number: XXXXXXX
Residence Inn by Marriott > Hotel > Step 4 - Thank You
Residence Inn Omaha
6990 Dodge Street · Omaha, NE 68132 USA

$229 rate. I'm PLT too so you should be able to as well.

I did try to book another and got the sorry message....

I'm going to cancel right now, perhaps you should jump on it or get the 800# to book it...
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the computer is in Plat Override mode, it will only let each plat book one room.

The fact that they haven't turned off override yet is sad.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, still accepting Plat overrides. What would happen if ALL of us booked one and demanded compensation? They need to get their act together.

Residence Inn Omaha

6990 Dodge Street · Omaha, Nebraska 68132 USA

Reservation for MR VickiSoCal

Studio, 1 Queen, Sofabed
Rate 229

• Confirmation Number: xxxxxxxxx
• Check-in: Friday, May 3, 2013 (03:00 PM)
• Check-out: Saturday, May 4, 2013 (12:00 PM)
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
They probably haven't needed to for the last few years. I guess it's a sign of an improving economy that we are seeing more of theses "property won't honor my booking" posts. There are a few in the SPG forum.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
They probably haven't needed to for the last few years. I guess it's a sign of an improving economy that we are seeing more of theses "property won't honor my booking" posts. There are a few in the SPG forum.
When you(general manager) have gotten to the point of calling plats with reservations for a specific night to tell them override will not be honored, wouldn't it occur to you to call Marriott and ask them to turn off override?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Is this the Downtown location or just the regular Omaha RI? BTW, I was able to book an award reservation at the FS Marriott.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
I just did and got one!!!!

Confirmation Number: XXXXXXX
Residence Inn by Marriott > Hotel > Step 4 - Thank You
Residence Inn Omaha
6990 Dodge Street · Omaha, NE 68132 USA

$229 rate. I'm PLT too so you should be able to as well.

I did try to book another and got the sorry message....

I'm going to cancel right now, perhaps you should jump on it or get the 800# to book it...
I don't need to book it again...I have it booked. They are just saying they don't want to honor it because they are sold out and "the computer should not have sold it"
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:23 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I don't think a hotel has the ability to "turn it off". The online tool will probably always allow a Plat overide unless a blackout has been given. And a black-out requires a local "event" where the "event" or a group have blocked out all the rooms at a hotel.

I suspect this "event" or a group didn't block all the rooms, thus no Black-out. So in this case, the hotel should have anticipated more Plat overides and thus stopped selling rooms to the public before they did. But given they now have more reservations than rooms, they shouldn't be trying to contact Plats who are invoking the Overide, they should be contacting and relocating the non-elites first. But even if they decide to deal with Plats, they now have to deal with the Plat Guarantee as well and not only walk the Plat, but pay the Plat Guarantee as well.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:27 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by linzie
I don't need to book it again...I have it booked. They are just saying they don't want to honor it because they are sold out and "the computer should not have sold it"
I would be working with the hotel management to let them know that the computer SHOULD have sold it (unless they received a Black-out.) They should have better anticipated the load for that night and held more rooms back for Plat overides.

This sure seems like the hotel management did a very poor job in anticipating the load for that night.

And it might be very well worth your time to do as socrates suggested and contact corporate customer service to get them involved.

And I'm fairly sure you can't make another reservation because the corporate system considers you already have a valid Plat Overide reservation for that night.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hhoope01
They shouldn't be trying to contact Plats who are invoking the Overide, they should be contacting and relocating the non-elites first. But even if they decide to deal with Plats, they now have to deal with the Plat Guarantee as well and not only walk the Plat, but pay the Plat Guarantee as well.
Maybe they've already booted all the non-plats and the entire hotel is filled/overfilled with plats?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Maybe they've already booted all the non-plats and the entire hotel is filled/overfilled with plats?
I am starting to feel sorry for the people who work at this hotel.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.