Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Override

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2007, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Platinum Premier, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
Was it the hotel staff/mgmt that told you the override was not allowed, or was it the folks at the platinum reservations desk at Marriott?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
[QUOTE=sophiegirl;8474549]
Originally Posted by phil398437

# 48-hour Guaranteed Availability: Limited to a Platinum member's personal guestroom. Guaranteed room availability for reservations booked 48 hours prior to arrival available at all participating Marriott hotel brands except Marriott Vacation Club International and Horizons by Marriott Vacation Club. Only during a very limited number of dates (for example, special events) are hotels unable to provide this service. This benefit cannot be used in conjunction with award usage or any type of promotional or discounted rates. At Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites, this benefit applies to studio rooms only.

I tried to get a room in the FI, Freeport ME this summer. It was sold out. I tried to override with Plat, and was quoted the above underlined sentence. I called back - and was again quoted.... (I guess summer is a special event in Maine) I was also told that hotels that do not have another Marriott property in their area do not have to honor the Plat override. CS agent could not really explain why; so am not certain of the veracity of that statement!
Yes that is correct hotels are allowed to blackout special events such as Super Bowl, World Series etc but they dont have access to do it on their own, they must send a request to do so (it's not that easy)....the CS was not correct when they stated hotels without another MI hotel near by do not honor the benefit...again all hotels must give all of the benefits
Old Sep 27, 2007, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshua362
"Special Event" - a loophole big enough to drive a mack truck through.

Hotels live to host and provide "special events" - group meetings, weddings, conventions, etc. If the "special event" is outside the hotel (i.e the Super Bowl), you can bet hospitality events are going to be tied to it some how.

While its a nice thought and benefit, its not going to work 100% of the time with a loophole like that available to an agressive revenue manager.
I can assure you the "loophole" isn't that big, it is limited to events where the hotel has turned their inventory (all of it) over to an event...these type of events tend to be citywide conventions (really really large ones such as SAE where the group takes over all of the rooms in Detroit and all of the suburbs) or large sporting events such as world series, indy 500, super bowl
Old Sep 28, 2007, 8:40 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Agree, this is the way it's supposed to go, but I am in South Charlotte Executive Park Marriott right now, where I seem to have gotten the last room via the web site. My collegue couldn't get in and called the PLT line to invoke her PLT guarantee. She was told that the city was hosting a cheerleading and/or gymnastics competition and the hotel was oversold. The best they could do was place her in a "nearby" SHS.

Well that SHS is 16 miles away on the opposite side of where I am and have spent 2 days going back and forth in rush hour traffic to pick her up. And I have not seen a cheerleader or gymnist anywhere but the hotel is hosting several small corporate meetings as usual.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 8:56 am

Programs: HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, Delta - Silver Med.
Stay at the Stamford Marriott

I'm staying there right now. I've been working in Purchase and haven't been able to find anything in the white plains, tarrytown, Rye or Purchase areas the past two weeks except the Courtyards. I stayed at the courtyard in rye, but Platinum benefits are close to nothing. Not even breakfast.

Staying as a Platinum at the Stamford Marriott is well worth it. I got free internet, concierge lounge with free wine and beer and a nice corner room, and the rate is actually cheaper than anything near white plains. Better room availability.

Traffic from Interstate 95 to 287 near whiteplains isn't bad either during the rush hors. Only 20 minutes door to door to my client.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:42 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
I was in Atlanta earlier, and couldnt use the override as a PP!! due to "the SEC meetings" at the hotel....real large there!
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshua362
Agree, this is the way it's supposed to go, but I am in South Charlotte Executive Park Marriott right now, where I seem to have gotten the last room via the web site. My collegue couldn't get in and called the PLT line to invoke her PLT guarantee. She was told that the city was hosting a cheerleading and/or gymnastics competition and the hotel was oversold. The best they could do was place her in a "nearby" SHS.

Well that SHS is 16 miles away on the opposite side of where I am and have spent 2 days going back and forth in rush hour traffic to pick her up. And I have not seen a cheerleader or gymnist anywhere but the hotel is hosting several small corporate meetings as usual.
it's difficult to tell from your post when your collegue tried to make a reservation but pls remember you must call 24 hours in advance to use the benefit
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:07 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by socrates
it's difficult to tell from your post when your collegue tried to make a reservation but pls remember you must call 24 hours in advance to use the benefit
Actually you must call at least 48 hours in advance.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 1:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Have CSR call Hotel

Have had a few times when hotel showed no availability.
Talk to Res Agent and then Customer Service.

Would look at hotel, tell me no rooms were available.
I would remind them I am platinum and rooms are always available.

If they quoted above line then I would ask them what the 'Special event" was.

They would call hotel and every time I would get "Hotel made a mistake when they blocked those rooms and now they are available."

I have used over ride in Indy for 500, In NY during Republican Convention (at a convention hotel) etc...

Never had a issue.
As with anything Marriott, don't take the first answer from a CSR.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Actually you must call at least 48 hours in advance.
LOL I can't believe I put 24 hours...wow I must have been tired this week (sorry I got up way early to early EWR before any issues popped up today)....but yes you are correct, it is 48 hours
Old Sep 29, 2007, 8:33 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Thanks, all good to know tips for the future. I'm not sure about my situation in CLT, it was definitely >24 hours but might not have been >48 hours so I'll give the benefit of the doubt there. I'm more annoyed that they 'recommended' a SHS some 16 miles away to a person unfamiliar with the area.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
OK, help me again understand how to view Platinum Override rates online...

I thought I had this figured out a week ago. Basically, shut down browser, clear cookies, relaunch, login, and re-query the search. And voila...you'd see the Platinum Override rates for sold out hotels.

But today that's not working.

It's for a stay 3 weeks in advance. Not a major worldwide event or anything...just a couple of sold-out Marriotts. Does anyone else occasionally have trouble viewing the Plat Override rates online? What am I doing wrong?

Browser is IE6 if it matters...
Old Oct 15, 2007, 3:59 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I have found that sometimes an area search doesn't seem to pick up the Plat overide. you might try going to a specific hotel's webpage and searching from there (with being logged in of course?)
Old Oct 15, 2007, 9:04 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Another (non-techie) idea...

Considering that the website has been causing such problems recently, why not just call the Plat line and ask them what the Plat override rates are? Or is that just too easy?
Old Oct 16, 2007, 4:32 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I have found that sometimes an area search doesn't seem to pick up the Plat overide. you might try going to a specific hotel's webpage and searching from there (with being logged in of course?)
I just tried DC not signed in and came up with hotels unavailable. I signed in and the area search had those hotels available for booking.

Now I know they installed fixes last night, one of which was for the Session Expired bug. The Session Expired page didn't work yesterday, but does today so that problem has been corrected. Perhaps the same thing happened last night for area searches. Pinniped, please try again today and see if it works, and let us know.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Oct 16, 2007 at 4:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.