Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Override

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:27 am

Programs: UA Global Services, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Thumbs down No Platinum Override?

First time I have ever been denied a room and been told that there is no Platinum Override available. I am looking for 2 rooms (I'd settle for just 1) in South Bend Indiana for 10/14 - 10/16. There are almost a dozen Marriott properties in the vicinity and they are all sold out and there is no Platinum Override available. The Platinum desk said they received permission from corporate to not offer the Override for those dates.

Needless to say, I am shocked!
Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:29 am

Just called the Hilton Diamond desk .. all their properties (mostly hampton inn's) are all sold out and blacked out for the Diamong Guarantee due to the "Extraordinary Event" clause!
Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's USC football weekend that weekend - it's considered a special event. The platinum override doesn't apply to special events.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR Plat Premier, Nat'l Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond
I had it happen in FLL last year. Some company had booked the entire Marriott...every room & ballroom. I've tried to get a business hotel room in Green Bay when the Packers were playing, I commuted from MKE.

It happens I guess, but only twice to me. If it's football weekend, get a rental car & be ready to drive some.

Mike
Old Aug 2, 2005, 12:24 pm

I guess I understand that it is a special event. Its just that here I am telling all my friends about the wonders of platinum override, and how I would be able to get us a room for the weekend .. and boom shot down by both marriott and hilton
Old Aug 2, 2005, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nabster
I guess I understand that it is a special event. Its just that here I am telling all my friends about the wonders of platinum override, and how I would be able to get us a room for the weekend .. and boom shot down by both marriott and hilton
If you really want a room - I would recommend just trying to call the hotel directly & asking for the GM. Also, the Platinum Override only applies to 1 room, IIRC.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 1:48 pm
RTG

Programs: SWA - DL - Diamond - 1MM, A List, Marriott - Plat - Lifetime, AmEx - Plat, AAA, Avis - Preferred
Sometimes the resevation line will tell you no rooms but you can get them online - I checked and nothing! So yes, your best bet is to call the hotel directly and check with the GM. Or, if you have a good connection at a hotel that you regularly stay at, have that manager call the other hotel manager. I was able to get a room in a sold out situation a few weeks ago using that approach.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 2:16 pm

Good idea .. will call each hotel individually and plead with the GM. We've got a fairly well established corporate relationship with the downtown Marriott. Hopefully I can use that to tilt the scales if the "platinum status" card isnt sufficient
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:38 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select Plus
For all the Notre Dame home game weekends, there is a blackout on Platinum Override. Additionally, all the hotels in the area require a two-night stay to get a room for home game weekends.

However, it seems like some of the rooms at the downtown Marriott were coded for a three night stay, as checking availability for 10/13 - 10/16 shows a Concierge Level room for the special event rate of $499 a night (paid in full now).

I was able to book a Stay Anytime reward at the downtown Marriott for these three nights about a month ago and the CSR wasn't able to explain why it wouldn't let her book it just for two nights, even though that is the required length of a stay that weekend. I decided not to push that, yet.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:53 am

This has happened to me from time to time and usually I am able to call the hotel directly and reserve a room.

It helps to know somebody at the hotel and have a proven record of stays that shows that the hotel that you mean pro-longed business to them.

Dan
Old Aug 26, 2005, 10:26 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Platinum Override Unavailable

I have several trips to San Francisco over the next couple of weeks. Next week August 28 and the week of September 18 I can not find an available Marriott any where down town. When I call the Platinum Desk, the indicate that the Platinum Override is not available during those times. .... That is the only reason I am a Platinum with Marriott (Since upgrades are almost non-existent now.) And when I need it, I am told the benefit can not be applied?

From Marriott Rewards Platinum Benefits webpage: "48-hour Guaranteed Availability: Limited to a Platinum member's personal guestroom. Guaranteed room availability for reservations booked 48 hours prior to arrival available at all participating Marriott hotel brands except Marriott Vacation Club International and Horizons by Marriott Vacation Club. Only during a very limited number of dates (for example, special events) are hotels unable to provide this service. This benefit cannot be used in conjunction with award usage or any type of promotional or discounted rates. At Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites, this benefit applies to studio rooms only."
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OU812
That is the only reason I am a Platinum with Marriott (Since upgrades are almost non-existent now.)
Not according to the majority of posters on this forum.
Originally Posted by OU812
I have several trips to San Francisco over the next couple of weeks. Next week August 28 and the week of September 18 I can not find an available Marriott any where down town. When I call the Platinum Desk, the indicate that the Platinum Override is not available during those times.

<snip>

From Marriott Rewards Platinum Benefits webpage: "48-hour Guaranteed Availability: Limited to a Platinum member's personal guestroom. Guaranteed room availability for reservations booked 48 hours prior to arrival available at all participating Marriott hotel brands except Marriott Vacation Club International and Horizons by Marriott Vacation Club. Only during a very limited number of dates (for example, special events) are hotels unable to provide this service. This benefit cannot be used in conjunction with award usage or any type of promotional or discounted rates. At Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites, this benefit applies to studio rooms only."
I have no idea what's going on in SF at those times, and I verified that there is almost nothing available in Downtown San Francisco during those periods. There is a lot of availability outside the city.

If there's nothing available, Marriott simply can't squeeze out other guests (probably a number of plats, too).
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:04 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
After signing in on Marriott.com the following hotel reservations were shown to be available for the week of Aug 28-Sep 4 in San Francisco:

Renaissance Parc 55 Hotel
The Stanford Court, A Renaissance Hotel (my favorite)
San Francisco Marriott Fisherman's Wharf
Also a couple of Courtyards

For the week of Sept. 18-24, like you I came up with nada.

Probably due to this "special event" :
Oracle OpenWorld
September 18 - 22, 2005
Moscone Center
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Incidently, by using the "flexible dates" feature on the website, I found:

San Francisco Marriott - Senior Discount - Aug 28,30,31. Sept 18,22,23,24
AAA discount - Sept 23,24
Government Rate - Aug 28,30,31. Sept 18,23 24.

Didn't bother to check the other Marriotts.

If you're really keen on staying downtown those dates, you might have to get a little creative with the rate you pick.

Wouldn't hurt to call platinum line again. Remember the FlyerTalk mantra: If you don't get the answer you want, say "Thank you.", hang up, and call again.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:14 am
rqd

The city looks to be sold out

The OpenWorld housing website shows the nothing in the city.

http://www.oracle.com/openworld/sanf...n/housing.html

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
After signing in on Marriott.com the following hotel reservations were shown to be available for the week of Aug 28-Sep 4 in San Francisco:

Renaissance Parc 55 Hotel
The Stanford Court, A Renaissance Hotel (my favorite)
San Francisco Marriott Fisherman's Wharf
Also a couple of Courtyards

For the week of Sept. 18-24, like you I came up with nada.

Probably due to this "special event" :
Oracle OpenWorld
September 18 - 22, 2005
Moscone Center

Last edited by rqd; Aug 26, 2005 at 11:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.