Search

Earning anything for non-stays?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
Earning anything for non-stays?

Hi all,

(Have not posted on the relevant hotel thread, as I think this is more of a general question)

I've just made platinum, and will shortly be booking an expensive afternoon tea affair at the Ritz Carlton in Hong Kong..

Does membership get you anything, or any opportunity to earn some points for this spend?

Cheers
Old Dec 10, 2012, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
CC points................this is MRs not SPG.........

Originally Posted by Flapster
Hi all,

(Have not posted on the relevant hotel thread, as I think this is more of a general question)

I've just made platinum, and will shortly be booking an expensive afternoon tea affair at the Ritz Carlton in Hong Kong..

Does membership get you anything, or any opportunity to earn some points for this spend?

Cheers
Old Dec 10, 2012, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Ok cheers.

From reading Marriott's website, couldn't see anything.

Have the credit card, so will get 4 points/.. better than nothing
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Actually, you could try asking to open an incidental account with the front desk and charging to that... or if it is a planned/booked event ask if you can get points credit for it.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Hmm, cheers for the tip. May as well try, nothing to lose
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Possibly

The only way this would work would be to "check-in" at the front desk. They would also have to assign you to a room temporarily. It would definitely take some convincing of the front desk manager as long as occupancy is down, but it is possible to be done.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Ok cheers.

From reading Marriott's website, couldn't see anything.

Have the credit card, so will get 4 points/.. better than nothing
Just put it on the Marriott CC so you get the points. At RCs you don't get points on incidental spend anyway, so trying to do the dummy check-in isn't going to get you anything & isn't worth jumping through hoops.

Cheers.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
will shortly be booking an expensive afternoon tea affair at the Ritz Carlton in Hong Kong..
I can't say for certain for RC, but if this were a Marriott, as this would qualify as a meeting/event, you would get points + 10 elite night credit.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Yes, it could qualify as an event at RC.

Here is a link to the superficial overview: http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Reward...dingEvents.htm

A number of years ago I knew that the minimum F&B charge at a RC for any event was $25,000. So the afternoon tea might be more than the OP wishes to pay in order to get points. For some reason when the OP says an expensive tea, I don't think s/he was talking about $25,000; but then again, maybe s/he was.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Twickenham
I can't say for certain for RC, but if this were a Marriott, as this would qualify as a meeting/event, you would get points + 10 elite night credit.
Doubtful. And the other ways the FD will likely nix. Further, as it is at a RC, you likely will earn just 1 point per $ per the US card, not sure what the UK card provides but payments at RC don't earn any multiplier with the US Marriott card.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Yeah, definitely not $25K!!

Interesting ideas and comments, thanks all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.