Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:57 pm

Right now if we book a hotel lower than the category of our cert, we get refunded the difference, ie 30k, 60k. What do you think will happen if we downgrade after 9/18 to a hotel lower in category? Refund of 120k? Or maybe the system will map into the existing price differences?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Right now if we book a hotel lower than the category of our cert, we get refunded the difference, ie 30k, 60k. What do you think will happen if we downgrade after 9/18 to a hotel lower in category? Refund of 120k? Or maybe the system will map into the existing price differences?
Nobody “knows”. Everybody is guessing.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:36 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Lizie
And screen prints just in case.
Ya, trip is this week.... Be the Force with me!
Lizie likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by maxcalls

So bottom line - if u really wanna stay at a MARRIOTT property - upgrade to the right category and attach the certificate now and if u want to stay at SPG properties, your best bet is to use it post sept 18 on their cat 1-4 hotels in the new marriott award chart system or upgrade at the new point level charts e.g Category 5 - 60 k more points : Category 6 - 180k more points over and so on.

Please stop presenting this as fact. It might turn out to be true but preaching the gospel as spoken by a phone agent is folly.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:16 pm

Had some issues with a TP cert in my account, in particular it disappeared after I removed another cert from a reservation, updated that 1 from a cat 6 to a cat 9 and had it applied to another reservation. This all happened on Saturday. Waited until today before calling back to get it fixed in case it found its way home unassisted. Of course that never happened. Called in and got connected to a CSR in less than 3 minutes. Talking to the CSR I asked what was happening to the certs post 8/18. She replied they didn't know because they have not been told anything. That story matches what the 3 CSR's I talked to on Saturday said. Yes, it only took 3 CSR's to cancel 1 reservation, update the cert and apply it to a different reservation. I'm more inclined to believe the 'we don't know' story over anything else.

On another note I expressed my frustration with having to make multiple calls to get something done because I keep losing my connection. She said their hell night was 8/9 when the new reservation system was installed and brought online. So apparently a major component of the new system is up and running.

And last but not least the first thing I now tell a CSR is my phone number so that when we get disconnected they can call me back.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
There are a few of us in the same situation including myself. I unattached and actually cancelled the existing booking. Will rebook after Sept 19 as a Cat 4 property.

If you leave it attached, you would need to call Marriott after Sept 18, to get the 30K pts refund back. My imagination is, that is more complicated to do versus a clean break now.
Based on the new information I believe the only situation that attached cert would be advantageous is that the hotel per night point level would go up, and you for sure would stay at that property for that chosen period. Remember Marriott always honor the bookings based on old point levels as long as the bookings are not changed at all. Any change would void the old booking with lower point level.
There is no reason to make spec bookings on upgraded categories if what has transpired now eventually becomes reality.
Hi I'm in the same boat. I have a Cat6 7-night MTP attached to Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach for last week of June 2019, which is currently 30K, but going down to 25K after Aug 18. I just called them to detach my Cat6 7-night MTP (kept it at Cat6, and kept the hotel reservation), with plan to re-book the reservation and re-attach my MTP after Sept 18 and get 30K points back.

However, I realized that I may have made a mistake. My reservation is in June 2019, which subject to On-Peak and Off-Peak pricing. Did I shot myself in the foot?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke5150
Hey Happy: Guess you not very Happy.... Thanks for the suggestions and advice. This is turning into quite a debacle. I will wait to cancel the Res and get the Cat 6 back as 30k points plus new cat 1-4. Sorry you had to spend so much time.
Just about to call the overseas center to find out where the cert is, I logged in my account and saw the cert finally showed up - and with the expiration date of June 1st 2019 as from the original date I upgraded it from 5 to 6 and attached to a reservation, a couple weeks before Marriott finally announced the new hotel charts.

Still no "redemption" email to come but at least the cert now is viewable online so I make a screen shot of it just in case!

It looks to me the reps are briefed to make sure certs expiration dates would not be extended via upgrade / downgrade / detach / cancellation of existing booking, as I received 2 emails on the same cert re-issued and canceled immediately with today's Aug 13th date.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 13, 2018 at 7:31 pm
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zerodegre
My attached certificate now.. it is a cat 6 which is attached to a hotel in Bangkok. It is going down to a cat 4 after the 18th. I am not traveling until November. Do you guys think I should unattach or leave attached?
You're likely referring to the BKK Ren. Supposedly it will be possible to have overage points refunded when the property moves down a category but whether that will hold for TPs is unknown. Why not just downgrade it now to a Cat 1-5 and attach after Sept 18 or whenever TPs open up again?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks to me the reps are briefed to make sure certs expiration dates would not be extended via upgrade / downgrade / detach / cancellation of existing booking, as I received 2 emails on the same cert re-issued and canceled immediately with today's Aug 13th date.
i upgraded yesterday and expiry reset.
everything now is ymmv until formally announced by marriott
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not so sure about that. I cancelled a res and upgraded the cert immediately this weekend; cert has a new expiration date of Aug 10.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: United 1P
How certain is that all floaters will be converted to 1-4 certificate plus points for the difference in categories? I only saw one report, but no other confirmation.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:12 pm

What if a certificate of a lower category is attached to a reservation of a hotel with higher category? Will there be a problem at check-in?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:13 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Here are my certs for a total of 14 nights at 1-5 category and the balance is 170K points which won't get me much in term of Travel Packages!

Unused Certificates (4)

• Rewards Certificate Premier Visa Anniv. Free Night, 1-5 Hotels Expires 06/28/2019
  • Rewards Certificate Premier Plus Free Night Award Expires 07/03/2019
  • Rewards Certificate P510 PARTIAL PKG-CAT 1-5 - 30,000 Points Expires 07/22/2019
  • Rewards Certificate 7 Night Travel Package Category 1-5 Hotels - 270,000 Points Expires 08/13/2019

What to do?

Attach now or later? Or, just cash them in for later redemption?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kgkg
How certain is that all floaters will be converted to 1-4 certificate plus points for the difference in categories? I only saw one report, but no other confirmation.
It has been postulated by a few and one individual keeps repeating it as gospel based upon the word of a phone agent. Certain is not a term I'd use.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz
  • Rewards Certificate P510 PARTIAL PKG-CAT 1-5 - 30,000 Points Expires 07/22/2019
How did you get to this one? What did you downgrade from? My P510 says it is worth 10,000 Points only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.