Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by sgan317
MARRIOTT PR Team just reached out, they admitted that the information provided to myself was wrong. Packages can still be redeemed until August 17. The post on SamChui.Com should be updated shortly
All this confusion leads to only one conclusion:
Marriott doesn't know how it, or more precisely its post-merger IT system, would be able handle the current TPs post 8/18. Because of this uncertainty, even people at Marriott who should know are not properly informed. So there's no hope we will know what would happen on 8/18 to the TP certificates.
cruisr likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Toronto1970
From posts above, please seem to be saying that even non-expedited points going to United should post overnight. I purchased my package on Tuesday and no sign of the 132K points in my United account yet. Is it worth calling back, or will they just laugh and tell me to wait 3 weeks before asking them to put in a trace.
Definitely ymmv. Two weeks ago mine took 3 days. Tuesday I bought 2 more. Haven’t posted yet. Cheers.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by jeepie

Definitely ymmv. Two weeks ago mine took 3 days. Tuesday I bought 2 more. Haven’t posted yet. Cheers.
Thanks. That gives me some reassurance that probably nothing went wrong, and to just hold tight.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tth6133
All this confusion leads to only one conclusion:
Marriott doesn't know how it, or more precisely its post-merger IT system, would be able handle the current TPs post 8/18. Because of this uncertainty, even people at Marriott who should know are not properly informed. So there's no hope we will know what would happen on 8/18 to the TP certificates.
So we continue to speculate away...

On a more serious note - Marriott is struggling to find an acceptable balance on the cost front that is reasonable to both the company and the customers. They should just take the high road and give more to the customers that would greatly simplify the issues IT team encounters.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
I am not following . . . are people expediting the miles because they are concerned they will not get the full 85K,120K or 132K miles if they transfer after the merger? Or just because they want the miles faster? I do not need the miles ASAP, but is there any such concern that one may not receive the full redemption miles if they are processed after the August 19 date?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I did a United TP last year. Called one afternoon, miles were there the following evening. I was refreshing semi-often - booking 5 seats one-way to Europe on peak dates - and I recall them hitting my account at around 7:30pm CT the next day.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by sinfonia
I would like to redeem the seven nights at a Marriott property that is currently category 6. According to the chart at https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change, it will become a category 4. I was going to purchase a category 1-5 certificate since that should cover a new 4, I believe. But the problem is that if I need to attach it now, I need to purchase a category 6 package, correct? I know there are still unknowns but is conventional wisdom that I would receive 30K back after the merger? Or do I just lose any difference? I am not clear how to best do this.
On the phone with Marriott platinum agent now and she really does not know what happens in terms of downgrading after the new changes take effect. She called some other line who told her that I can downgrade, but I asked at what price structure (do I really get anything back or not because everything else is more expensive then?) and no one seems to know.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yoyo
Just redeemed 5 7-night TP and the call was picked up in 20 seconds and all was done in 10 minutes. Points are gone from my account and I decided to attach to the same hotel I frequent to. I verified all reservations have certificate attached to them but strangely I am still seeing two unused certificate. I am waiting for CC statement to close so that I can do one more float. Hope I won't regret it.
The certs part is not real time on Marriott site. They will surely disappear after tonight's processing.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Other than the fact that I wish Marriott was clearly publishing Travel Package information directly (not through random bloggers), this announcement isn't alarming to me.

All that is for certain is that on August 4th, our ability to attach a certificate goes temporarily dark, likely for 2 to 3 weeks. I think it's clear, both from the latest quote and other sources, that Marriott recognizes the value of the certificates and will play fair with us post-merger. Your certificate will come back in the new world, probably sometime in late August.

I have a floater sitting out there now. I have no real plans for it. It's going to go dark for a while and come back as something new. Mine is a base Cat 5 TP, so the easiest and most likely outcome is that it reappears as a Cat 4. I'm fine with that.

The only reason I'd take action prior to August 4th is if I had a strong probability of using it at a hotel that was rising in category in the new program. Then, I'd attach it now, as in the old-7-to-new-6 example above.

Whether they'll allow you to redeem a new TP between Aug 4 and Aug 18 is anyone's guess. If you're sitting on 270k points, I'd be on the phone this week getting the TP redeemed. Hold times are only going to get worse.
This is where I'm at too. Have multiple Cat 1-5 certs, but honestly no specific redemption in mind. In fact, I prefer the new award chart at the 1-4 options (with SPG properties + Marriotts I might actually stay at decreasing in value). So long as I have the option to at least use my certificates at 1-4 properties post 8/18, I'll be fine with that. My SO though has a Cat 6 cert and I'm really not sure what she should do. Similar situation though...doesn't have a specific redemption in mind so she may gamble as well.

Last edited by PumpkinSmasher; Jul 27, 2018 at 12:24 pm
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Post deleted

Last edited by controller1; Jul 27, 2018 at 3:23 pm Reason: Who knows, I may want to run for office some day!
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rny321
If an airline cancels a flight, should customers receive a full refund or one minus a cancellation fee?

There are two parts to a travel package and if one part is changed, it wouldn't be unreasonable for a customer to ask to unwind the entire transaction. My family purchased enough SPG points to buy a travel package. If MPG wants to cancel the hotel portion of a travel package and provide a liquidated value, then I believe at a minimum the company should allow customers to cancel the purchase. Take the miles back, return all points and possibly cancel any points purchased.

If MR had offered a $100 resort credit as part of a hotel booking and later decided to eliminate the resort credit, what is a reasonable refund? Providing a credit of $30, which is a similar to returning 45K for a package that is worth up to 150K, and not offering to refund the entire transaction isn't going to make customers happy. On the other hand, if a customer didn't use the $100 credit and MR offered a $30 refund that might be a reasonable offer.
The analogy would be if you had bought a connecting flight and one leg is cancelled. You could get a refund, but only for the cancelled portion. It's really up to the airline to determine what the flown/unflown portion is worth.

In this case, Marriott could assign a much high value to the airline miles
Happy likes this.

Last edited by SP03; Jul 27, 2018 at 10:26 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
This is where I'm at too. Have multiple Cat 1-5 certs, but honestly no specific redemption in mind. In fact, I prefer the new award chart at the 1-4 options (with SPG properties + Marriotts I might actually stay at decreasing in value). So long as I have the option to at least use my certificates at 1-4 properties post 8/18, I'll be fine with that. My SO though has a Cat 1-6 cert and I'm really not sure what she should do. Similar situation though...doesn't have a specific redemption in mind so she may gamble as well.
In a way, I almost wish I had a Cat 6 cert instead of a 5. It took a max-buy of SPG points during their recent promo + a small Marriott buy just to get me to 270k one last time.

My reasoning is that I honestly don't think Marriott is going to shaft Category 6 certificate holders by giving you a new Cat 4 and nothing else. There's a *chance* you're going to get a one-time 30,000-point "bonus" in the conversion, emerging on the other side with a Cat 5 certificate. The most-fair thing would be to get a new 4 plus a 30k refund. But if they err on the side of software simplicity, they're just going to translate old 6 to new 5 and call it good.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by SP03
The analogy would be if you had bought a connecting flight and one leg is cancelled. You could get a refund, but only for the cancelled portion. It's really up to the airline to determine what the flown/unflown portion is worth.

In this case, Marriott could assign a much high value to the airline
When an airline cancels a segment during a trip, leaving the customer stranded and providing a minimal refund isn't going to suffice. If the trip hasn't started, the customer has a right to request a full refund. If MPG wants to reduce the value to the customer of the hotel portion, the customer should be give an opportunity to cancel to entire transaction if the points haven't been used.

I am not arguing legality, but it is unreasonable for the party modifying a transaction to pick the value of the change and not allow a full refund.

Last edited by rny321; Jul 27, 2018 at 10:27 am
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by SP03

In this case, Marriott could assign a much high value to the airline
That would be a bigger hose job than almost anything we've ever seen in loyalty-program land. Marriott is not going to do this. They've made multiple comments indicating that they are aware of the TP issue and aware of the value the certificates have to members. They've referred to it being a complex technical solution, which unilaterally killing certificates would not be. They aren't going to force-cancel certificates and impose the forfeiture/penalty rate (45k for a Cat 5) on everyone.

This is something that United or Spirit might do. Or whomever ran that Goldpoints program of yesteryear. I have faith that Marriott will not do this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:25 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by tarkaboy
A different question: I want to stay at the Marriott County Hall hotel in London for 4 nights in Aug. 2019. The booking calendar only goes into early July 2019. Should I book 5 nights @45k=180k now using points alone for July 2019 (getting no air miles) and as soon that I can move the date as the calendar opens for Aug. 2019 (without having to pay more points since the rates will have increased)…. Or would it be better for me to book a 7 night vacation package @390k for this category 9 Marriott, taking the 132K United miles now, reserving 7 nights in July 2019, and hoping that as the calendar opens I will be able to move the 7 nights into August once available, even though I’m only going to use 5 nights (without having to pay more points since the rates will have increased). Which makes better sense assuming booking these before Aug. 1...or Aug. 17, 2018. Also if I cannot book 7 consecutive nights, does that mean I will not be able to use any of the package? If I can book 7 consecutive nights, is it OK if I only use the first 5 nights without penalty, losing of course the final 2 nights.
With this package redemption, you essentially getting the 132K UA miles for 210K Marriott points, or 1.27 CPM as I value Marriott points at .8 CPP. Not a bad redemption if you want/need the UA miles to get you to London.

You can book a 7-night stay and check out after the 4th night without penalty. There is no penalty as the hotel will have the room available for last minute booking, and more profit for them. Did so in Bangkok in January booking a 7 night 1-5 Category certificate at the Marriott Marques Queens Park Bangkok and checked out after 6 nights. No refund for the last night but no penalty either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.