Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:35 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Lets say a non-FTer books a travel package in late July for a genuine vacation. Gets cert deposited into the account and waits a few days for the miles to post. Once the miles post in early August, he/she books their fight, then once that is confirmed calls MR a few days later and says "Ok, I am ready to book the 7 night hotel". Are you telling me that MR will tell that person that the 7 night cert they just got 10 days ago is now not even worth 2 nights?? You gotta be kidding me. THAT will definitely not happen. If anything, there will have to be some warning i.e. we are forcefully converting your cert into xx points. You have until xx/xx date to apply to an existing reservation, etc.
That is the rate in which Marriott is currently refunding the self-imposed cancellations of travel certs. So, it's not a new policy that requires a notice. Most of us here know this going forward. The question now would the rest of us are entitled to additional compensation due to Marriott-imposed cancellations and refunds! Only Marriott movers and shakers know the answer to that. I believe that they should split the difference 5 nights for 7 and 3 nights for 5-night travel certs. This is also depending on how many elites are holding travel certs and how vocal they are in case things will go south after 8/1.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by Kalboz
That is the rate in which Marriott is currently refunding the self-imposed cancellations of travel certs. So, it's not a new policy that requires a notice. Most of us here know this going forward. The question now would the rest of us are entitled to additional compensation due to Marriott-imposed cancellations and refunds! Only Marriott movers and shakers know the answer to that. I believe that they should split the difference 5 nights for 7 and 3 nights for 5-night travel certs. This is also depending on how many elites are holding travel certs and how vocal they are in case things will go south after 8/1.
There's a difference between "self-imposed cancellations of travel certs" and someone getting a 7 day cert and being told a week later that its almost worthless now. And that too without any warning.
lexdevil likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:12 pm

Either way we can all agree that Marriott decided to not reveal what they will do and/or they haven't made up their mind yet, so any travel package redemption at this point is a gamble unless you will attach the certificate before August.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Need more points for next level TP

Thinking of getting a TP but need 7000 more points to get cat, 8 hotel. Do you think buying points is stupid? Or other ideas.. Thanks
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: BAEC, Amex MR, SPG, HHonors
Hi, it is possible to combine a 7-night travel package within a 10 night stay, and benefit from 2 free nights? I.e. 5th and 10th night effectively free, instead of booking a TP, and then separately 3 further nights?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Buy starwood as they are offering a 35% discount. Then transfer to MR.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:45 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by jsto
Hi, it is possible to combine a 7-night travel package within a 10 night stay, and benefit from 2 free nights? I.e. 5th and 10th night effectively free, instead of booking a TP, and then separately 3 further nights?
I think I understand what your saying... but its either one way or another. You cant take the best from both.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Lets say a non-FTer books a travel package in late July for a genuine vacation. Gets cert deposited into the account and waits a few days for the miles to post. Once the miles post in early August, he/she books their fight, then once that is confirmed calls MR a few days later and says "Ok, I am ready to book the 7 night hotel". Are you telling me that MR will tell that person that the 7 night cert they just got 10 days ago is now not even worth 2 nights?? You gotta be kidding me. THAT will definitely not happen. If anything, there will have to be some warning i.e. we are forcefully converting your cert into xx points. You have until xx/xx date to apply to an existing reservation, etc.
Actually, if you call to order the TP today, they make you pick a hotel and attach the 7-night cert to it for you. Is that the same practice in the past?

It shows that they really don’t want any 7-night cert floating aroud (for whatever reason)?!
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by lax2010

Actually, if you call to order the TP today, they make you pick a hotel and attach the 7-night cert to it for you. Is that the same practice in the past?

It shows that they really don’t want any 7-night cert floating aroud (for whatever reason)?!
Not the case for me. Ordered one last week and still got the floater.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:56 am

what is the rate (for refunding a self-imposed travel very cancellation)?

if one were to cancel a 7-night hotel reservation that were booked with the travel cert at the time of TP ordering, will one still receive a floating cert that gets stored in the user account for future use?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:18 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist

what is the rate (for refunding a self-imposed travel very cancellation)?

if one were to cancel a 7-night hotel reservation that were booked with the travel cert at the time of TP ordering, will one still receive a floating cert that gets stored in the user account for future use?
Currently, Marriott will refund 45K Marriott points (15K Starpoints) if you return the 7 night stay certificate, which is not a good value. But if you won’t use the hotel stay then it’s better than nothing. If you do that it will be like transferring 75K Starpoints into 132K United miles.

Floater certs' refund rate after 8/1/18 remains a mystery!
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:30 am

Currently, Marriott will refund 45K Marriott points (15K Starpoints) if you return the 7 night stay certificate, which is not a good value. But if you won’t use the hotel stay then it’s better than nothing. If you do that it will be like transferring 75K Starpoints into 132K United miles.

Floater certs' refund rate after 8/1/18 remains a mystery!
thanks for the update!

if I cancel a 7-night hotel room reserved with the TP cert today, will I be able to get a floating 7-night cert? Or is it too late to do that?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold

thanks for the update!

if I cancel a 7-night hotel room reserved with the TP cert today, will I be able to get a floating 7-night cert? Or is it too late to do that?
If you cancel the reservation but don't ask for the cert to be cancelled, you get the floater.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador , Marriott platinum, United, Delta

Did this happen today?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Did two TPs yesterday and they did not require a reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.