Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Which Marriott property in Kansas City?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Marriott property in Kansas City?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2003, 5:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jmartin:
check out the view if lights are on at the Plaza.</font>
The *real* lights on the Plaza are not up until the Thanksgiving. There are 250,000 of those colored lights, and they are quite spectacular and last through the New Year's.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 5:26 pm

Good point on Thanksgiving, that's what I was thinking of -- I stayed there once in mid-December, had a room on the south side so it was good view of the plaza.

I really liked that hotel.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 1:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by general45:
I'm going to see the Tigers(yeech)on the 24th. Hopefully the game will mean something for you fans in KC. I'll be wearing my RedSox hat in Section 120, but I'll be rooting for the hometeam. If anyone has any further comments, they are more than welcome to post them, as this forum educates more than any travel brochure can.</font>
General-
We'll be at that game, also. We're season ticket holders, section 108, front row, stop & say hi. We'll be the ones wearing blue. Tell the usherette that you're friends of ours & she shouldn't give you any trouble. We'll try to remember to tell her you might be "stopping by."

Bob & Mindy

------------------
2 dummies who are new to this FF stuff, but trying to learn.
Old Aug 30, 2003, 7:51 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I will look you up at the game. By the way, doesn't everyone wear blue ?
Old Sep 17, 2003, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Looks like my wife and I will also be at that game. We're season ticket holders, but will be there using rainchecks so who knows where we'll be. If we're close to 108, we'll drop by... (Our usual spot is over in 113.)

Keep believing! Maybe Tony Pena has one more miracle up his sleeve.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 7:13 am

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I am trying to find a good hotel in the Kansas City area over Labor Day weekend for a quick family trip. Wife and two small children (5 and 6) would be coming with me on a drive from STL. We will therefore have a car, but wouldn't mind being able to walk to places versus driving all of the time. Are one of the hotels in the Plaza area decent options? I see that there is a Marriott there as well as a botique-style Courtyard? Can anyone give some insight as to these two locations? Or anywhere else that would be recommended? Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 8, 2009, 9:23 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I've only stayed in Overland Park, KS, about 20 minutes from downtown and in fact got home from there last night. I would only recommend the FS Marriott because I think you can find some really cheap rates there on the weekend. And the room doors have soft closing latches and a loud, steady AC system so sleep is assured (a big issue for me). But the hotel falls short otherwise servicing the elite business traveler such as a decently stocked CL...
Old Aug 8, 2009, 9:38 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
I stayed at the Country Club Plaza Marriott about a year and a half ago. Generally speaking, a good older property. As a plat, I was upgraded to a larger room.

Overland park is also a good choice. FS Marriott has its critics, but my experiences there have been good. My son....also a plat...also likes the place.

There's also an excellent CY a few blocks away adjoining the convention center. My wife has a show for her business at the OP convention center. So we stay there every year, and they always take good care of us....including upgrades.

Note that there are two CYs in OP. There's an older property down the street from the FS Marriott on Metcalf. It's also a good choice.

LOADS of good restaurants and shopping in the Overland Park area. The convention center property is a little handier to most of these.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I am trying to find a good hotel in the Kansas City area over Labor Day weekend for a quick family trip. Wife and two small children (5 and 6) would be coming with me on a drive from STL. We will therefore have a car, but wouldn't mind being able to walk to places versus driving all of the time. Are one of the hotels in the Plaza area decent options? I see that there is a Marriott there as well as a botique-style Courtyard? Can anyone give some insight as to these two locations? Or anywhere else that would be recommended? Thanks in advance!
I prefer the downton Marriott myself. If you stay downtown you are just minutes from the Arabia Steamboat Museum, which is fantastic for the whole family, in my opinion. http://www.visitkc.com/member-detail....aspx?id=28981

The Plaza is not really a place for kids as most of it is upscale shops. OP is okay but it is so far from downtown KC that you really don't get a feel of KC.

Take your kids to the Crown Center and eat at Fritz's Railroad Restaurant. There are train tracks that run above the tables and they deliver your food. You will be a hero after taking your kids there I promise. http://www.crowncenter.com/Dining-Dining/Index.htm

Also just across the street (but take the link that runs over the street) to the Union Station's Science City. Very kid friendly and well worth the time.

One more place to take your kids, also right by the Crown Center and if the aren't worn out by then, is the tour of Hallmark Cards visitor center.
http://www.hallmarkvisitorscenter.com/
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:00 am

I almost forgot the Crayola Store in the Crown Center which will be a big hit with the kiddos too.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 5:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Overland Park Marriott is newly remodeled and has a "bounce back" promotion going on: Promotion code BQ7 is $69/nt for September 3-6.
Staying there this weekend!
Old Aug 12, 2009, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by spectrablue96
Overland Park Marriott is newly remodeled and has a "bounce back" promotion going on: Promotion code BQ7 is $69/nt for September 3-6.
Staying there this weekend!
I stay at (and trash) this place on a regular basis but have to say the $9.99 breakfast buffet was reasonably priced and pretty good. Sure beat what was being offered in the CL.

Lobby and CL remodel does nothing for me but I do appreciate the soft closing doors and constant sound of the HVAC system to sleep by. I do notice that they must have the HVAC system automatically overridden in the wee hours in both summer and winter nights.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:41 pm

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
My vote for Steaks with a KC atmosphere - Hereford House, Golden Ox, the Savoy. Plaza III is a little more "fine dining." But why would anyone with only one night in KC going to a Royal's game not going to Arthur Bryant's, (Gates on the Paseo if pinched for time)? I know the OP said some ridiculous thing about Memphis ribs - does Memphis even have barbecue?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:41 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by joshua362
I do notice that they must have the HVAC system automatically overridden in the wee hours in both summer and winter nights.
It is supposedly an energy saving feature but it really irritates me when I stay there (fairly often these days). The systems are set to "reset" every 4 hours or so. I usually set it on high before retiring to drown out other noise, but it kicks back to auto after 4 hours, which wakes me up due to the system starting/stopping. In some rooms it resets the temp setting as well to the 72 degree default which is even more annoying. It is not just overnight though, I find them resetting during the day as well.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 7:39 am

Thanks Matt for confirming that I wasn't loosing my mind - exactly that - last winter on the C level the fan would go off in the middle of the night and I too would wake an have to reset.

Last week on the 4th floor, the fan would remain steady but the room temperature would noticeably creep up to make it uncomfortable while sleeping. And of course I'm not usually there in the day / evening.

Just another oddity of the place I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.