Wiki Posts
Search

Is a couch normal?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2002, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Is a couch normal?

I had a low prepaid rate at a Marriott Renaissance property and was given a couch with a pull-out bed for me and my unrelated co-traveler. I was guaranteed a double-occupancy BED (Double, queen, king, etc.). It did not even seem like a real room. Most uncomfortable. I am a Marroitt rewards member but the front desk manager at the time refused to do anything about it as they were full, even though I checked in on time and others who checked in after me were given a normal room. A hostel would have been more comfortable than this. I have since switched to Hilton, made gold staying 35+ nights, and treated to free exec rooms in Milan and Rome (What a treat!).
Old Feb 25, 2002, 3:56 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Seems pretty unusual to me particularly depending upon the room you booked. May I ask which property?
Old Feb 25, 2002, 11:53 pm

this is really weird. where was the property. you should make a point of calling marriott's guest service relations department, and advise them of your problem. i would anticipate that they will make it up to you. they are pretty good that way.

good luck

d
Old Feb 26, 2002, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BERGDAVID:
this is really weird. where was the property. you should make a point of calling marriott's guest service relations department, and advise them of your problem. i would anticipate that they will make it up to you. they are pretty good that way.

good luck

d
</font>
I'd call the GM as well
Old Feb 26, 2002, 6:27 am

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
Which property?
Old Feb 26, 2002, 12:22 pm

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
You stayed in a Renaissance room that had ZERO real beds in it???? Only a couch?!?
Old Feb 26, 2002, 2:32 pm

I once arranged for a room for a guest during a busy fair in sold-out Geneva (nothing to do with Marriott), and he was originally given a superb lakefront room with a couch. Unfortunately it was the 'living room' half of a suite, where the antique couch did not fold out, and the bathroom had but a toilet and sink (in a *****).

Perhaps was it a similar mistake at this Renaissance?
Old Feb 26, 2002, 3:57 pm
GG

It's not at all unusual for a hotel to assign parlors with murphy beds or similar to guests in a sold-out situation. My husband and I have made out very well that way a number of times, where the bed wasn't the greatest, but the extra space for all our equipment was really useful. But it behooves the hotel to make sure that the guests are able to deal with the arrangement. Assigning unrelated co-travellers to this kind of room is a BAD thing, assuming you did in fact have a reservation for a double double. (If you didn't, don't blame the hotel for assuming that there was no reason you and the other person in the room weren't OK sharing a bed.)

Still, I would have insisted on speaking to someone higher in the food chain than the front desk staff in this situation. If you checked in before all the rest of the guests had showed up, something should have been able to be worked out. But of course if you waited until everyone was in a room, there isn't much anyone could have done.

Morals: make sure your reservation correctly reflects your needs, and don't wait to make sure the room they give you is acceptable.

------------------
The Delta Flyers' Guide
I can be reached by e-mail through the Delta Flyers' Guide webpage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.