Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions involving rollover nights [Many merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions involving rollover nights [Many merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2009, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I will easily hit 150 nights this year. I wouldn't mind adding mid-tier status with HHonors and adding some extra points to my HHonors and SPG accounts.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 3:50 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
I will easily hit 150 nights this year. I wouldn't mind adding mid-tier status with HHonors and adding some extra points to my HHonors and SPG accounts.
You might want to consider this.... after 3 years of constant Marriott with a similar stay pattern to yours (~140 nights in Marriotts) I decided to try and branch out a bit when Marriott did their point devaluation. Happy I did as Hilton offered some good promos in Q2 (1000points/night and triple airmiles) that I combined with check-in/out activity to get lots of welcome gifts (points) at both. My other reason for changing was as I have also got a 3 night stay in Tokyo in December, and the Marriott is miles outside the centre, I don't want to stay at the RitzCarlton (prefer a Marriott as I'm pretty young and don't think I'd fit in there too well and I prefer a free exec lounge/upgrade) and there is a nice Hilton in the centre.

Hilton did a status challenge to get to diamond (their top level) with only 20 nights, as such it was a quick transfer over (though you can get diamond with 26 stays if you'd prefer)

Hilton points aren't worth quite as much as Marriott and their hotels seem more expensive (a lot of 35/40k locations), but, I like their airmiles bonus (double dip) - I fly with bmi so getting an extra 1000miles/night (it was tripled for the last few months) is a great bonus - I've got enough airmiles from their triple miles promo for an F flight to the USA from the UK using cash+miles.

However, now I've almost enough points at Hilton for my trip and their promos have stopped, so, I'm back to 3 nights Marriott/1night Hilton per week to just keep it ticking over - Marriott is still my first chain. I've got a vague hope of Plat Premier this year, but, who knows if that will be the case or not - I'd rather have tangible (Hilton diamond + choice of locations) against intangible (chance of plat prem + unspecified benefits)
Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:55 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold
Beware - Elite Roll Over Nights Count

I was just informed over the phone by Marriott Rewards that the roll over nights only happen if you have nights in 2009 that are above the CURRENT elite status

If you do not have enough nights to RENEW the current status, e.g. you are currently a Platinum member and have 74 nights on Dec 31st 2009, then you are dropped to Gold level in 2010 but will not have 24 nights roll over on 1st Jan 2010, since the principal is you did not renew your current status as a Platinum member.

That means, if you are currently Gold and you achieve 49 nights on December 31, 2009, you will be downgraded to Silver, and there will NOT be any roll over nights.

Just to share with everyone if you are trying to strategically make your travel plans work for you under this game.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:29 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
FWIW, if you are currently Plat and have 74 nights for 2009 in all likelihood you will be extended Plat for the next year. Many Plats have reported this happening when they come up short, and with the economy this year I don't see this practice changing.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by So Pang
I was just informed over the phone by Marriott Rewards that the roll over nights only happen if you have nights in 2009 that are above the CURRENT elite status

If you do not have enough nights to RENEW the current status, e.g. you are currently a Platinum member and have 74 nights on Dec 31st 2009, then you are dropped to Gold level in 2010 but will not have 24 nights roll over on 1st Jan 2010, since the principal is you did not renew your current status as a Platinum member.

That means, if you are currently Gold and you achieve 49 nights on December 31, 2009, you will be downgraded to Silver, and there will NOT be any roll over nights.

Just to share with everyone if you are trying to strategically make your travel plans work for you under this game.
Yes, I think that was pretty clear (not 100% but pretty good - at least brings up the question) in the terms (http://www.marriott.com/marriott.mi?page=eliterollover). Since they also unofficially have the rolling 12 month rule, it might not be as bad.

I do wonder if they will stop doing the rolling since Hilton seemed to have dropped that. Still, Marriott seems to get very flexible on this kind of thing when the economy is bad.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 1:15 pm

Has Marriott committed to rolling over any nights beyond 2009 to 2010? I thought I saw somewhere where they said that they were also rolling 2010 excess nights to 2011, but I can't find it now.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I don't think this is any different than I understood the policy as it was announced/discussed here. It pretty clearly said that if you are Gold member, nights over 50 for the year will be carried over to next year. I don't see how that could be interpreted as proactively/retroactively dropping status and crediting excess nights - that's quite stretch.

What concerns me, and what I did find very misleading, was that same "stay over 50 nights and carry them over" apparently doesn't apply if you stay over 75 nights. You are then move to PLT status and nights over your "current" status are carried over. Thus the incentive for current GLDs to stop at 74.

And no, I have not seen any announcement on 2010 promotions this early.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
And if you are PP its 100 nites b4 the rollover starts

I think was all clearly explained at the beginning though
Old Sep 1, 2009, 8:57 pm

I was a Platinum at end of last year (not Platinum Premier) and have again requalified as a Platinum about 2 weeks ago for this year and currently at 82 nights for this year. Do I need to worry about staying below 100 nights so I can rollover nights or if I were to reach 105 nights would 30 nights be rolled over.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 10:29 pm
LKO

Programs: Marriott platinum
I'm confused by all this elite night rollover business.

Currently I have gold status (since last year) and have 57 nights this year.

If I stay 74 nights in 2009 then I would have 24 nights rollover to next year and I would still be gold?

However what happens if I hit 75 before Dec. 31? Would 25 nights rollover? Or would I now be platinum and only the nights over 75 rollover?

I've also considered waiting until Jan 2010 to hit 75 nights (the 57 I have so far started in March 2009). Then I would be platinum until Feb. 2012? If that happens I wouldn't need the rollover nights.

TIA for clarification!
Old Sep 2, 2009, 6:29 am

Programs: Top Tiers for 2013 AA, MR, PC Thanks FT!
Along these lines...but slightly different (and if this needs a thread of its own, please let me know).....
I am on a platinum challenge which concludes Oct 31. I will get platinum status via the challenge but will not have 75 nights by year's end. How long will I retain the platinum status....just until December 31, 2009? Or will it remain for another year? If it is just until December 31, 2009 - will I drop to gold next year? If I have over 50 nights will any of them roll over...or would this just apply to any nights over 75? I have a feeling I may be in trouble with this one.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 6:55 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by dalm
Along these lines...but slightly different (and if this needs a thread of its own, please let me know).....
I am on a platinum challenge which concludes Oct 31. I will get platinum status via the challenge but will not have 75 nights by year's end. How long will I retain the platinum status....just until December 31, 2009? Or will it remain for another year? If it is just until December 31, 2009 - will I drop to gold next year? If I have over 50 nights will any of them roll over...or would this just apply to any nights over 75? I have a feeling I may be in trouble with this one.
I wasn't on any challenge but was given platinum in August of this year as I approached 70 nights. I will be over the 75 easily by the end of the year to re-qualify. That being said, in the letter I received it said they were comping me to platinum early through the end of 2010 so I would assume it would be the same for you.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 7:33 am

Programs: Top Tiers for 2013 AA, MR, PC Thanks FT!
Thanks, Chris. They did give me platinum status in advance in anticipation of my successfully completing the challenge. I hope I will get a letter to that effect, too. Absent that, though, (and until then,) I will probably continue to wonder..... Perhaps the Marriott Concierge would know....?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 9:26 am

If you get Platinum via the challenge it will last until 02/10 unless they've changed the system since I did it a few years back. After that you will drop to whatever the correct status is for the number of nights you stay in 2009. It is meant to be a way for you to enjoy the benefits while earning the status (75 nights), not a replacement for earning it. If you finish out the 75 nights you will be plat until 02/11. No clue how the challenge will affect rollover though.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by LKO;12317159I
f I stay 74 nights in 2009 then I would have 24 nights rollover to next year and I would still be gold?

However what happens if I hit 75 before Dec. 31? Would 25 nights rollover? Or would I now be platinum and only the nights over 75 rollover?
You would be PLT and get no rollover, (despite the initial offer that said "anything over 50 nights is rolled over"), based on an earlier clarification from MC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.