Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions involving rollover nights [Many merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions involving rollover nights [Many merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2009, 7:28 pm

Programs: Most of them
I am questioning why I need to waste money on an extra night this year. I have 44 nights and will thus rollover 34. If i get the card next year that yields 49 so I only need to stay one night (whenever) at my silver status and then i go to gold without wasting moolah.

I cant assume that gold is so fabulous that I should blow 70-80 bucks plus the cc fee to get it one stay earlier, right?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:38 am

Another rollover, rolling, elite, etc. question

I apologize for yet another question on rollover nights, rolling calendar, elite stays, etc. but it can be confusing. After months of lurking/reading, I think I finally understand it. Please let me know if I'm right and/or wrong.

Background:
Joined in 2006, currently gold through 2/10.
From 4/3/09 to 12/31/09, I have 42 nights which include 15 Marriott Visa.
I will not maintain gold based upon 2009 calendar year stays.

Questions:
No rollover nights because none above current level of gold/50 nights?
Gold officially expires on 2/28/10 at which time I drop to silver?
If I have 8 nights between 1/1/10 and 4/2/10 with some falling past being dropped to silver, I’ll have 50 nights based upon a rolling calendar year? As such, I’ll qualify for gold and get bumped to gold for the rest of 2010 through 2/28/12?
If I have 8 consecutive nights starting in 2009 but going into the first week of 2010, this counts as 2009 stays? As such, I’ll have 50 nights in 2009 keep gold through 2/28/2011?

A lot of questions, but I didn’t pay enough attention to counting my nights. I’m now trying to find an economical way to keep gold since stays come out of my pocket.

Thank you in advance for any and all help.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think everything you posted is correct except: If I have 8 consecutive nights starting in 2009 but going into the first week of 2010, this counts as 2009 stays?

No, the 2009 nights post for 2009, the nights starting Jan 1, post for 2010.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:04 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I'm not sure I understand the full nature of the question, but I will try to answer it.

Firstly, with 42 nights this year, will you maintain gold?... Most probably, yes, times are tough and Marriott are reluctant to demotivate regular guests. Last year they maintained status for those who came close to their target, I think that will be repeated this year, so you are well over 50% likely to find Marriott renew your gold status.

Secondly, if they don't maintain your status, what will happen to your nights over the 10 needed for silver? Well the literature suggests only those nights needed to maintain status get rolled over, on that basis, the extra 32 wont, so you need to grunt your way to GLD again from scratch, but as you rightly point out the rolling year should help you and since you say you've done 42 nights between April 09 and Dec 09 the extra 8 you now have booked will cause you to requal for GLD by end Feb anyway and that will then last to Feb 2012.

Overall I'd say its extremely likely Marriott will maintain your status since little has changed economically to warrant a rethink on the more generous requalification terms they used last year...
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:16 pm

Thanks for your quick replies. You’ve saved me a lot more time trying to understand the nights.

Even if Marriott doesn’t keep me at gold, there shouldn’t be much of a time gap between earning gold.

I wasn’t around during the peak elite benefits, however, I like the dependable nature of a clean, comfortable Marriott room, usually friendly staff and a hotel in most cities.

Based upon my experience, there doesn’t seem to be a big difference between gold & silver except being able to grab a cold soda, snack or morning bite in a quiet lounge.

Actually in the last 42 nights, I’ve only been upgraded 1x and that was at a Fairfield Inn in Wausau, WI. This was probably due to me staying there the same week for a couple years. I was given complimentary breakfast at a Courtyard in IL but that was after asking the manager to match the breakfast I'd receive at the full service Marriott that was close.

Gosh, now I’m not sure why I’m trying to keep Marriott gold..........

Thanks again for the information.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 7:49 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by I can do it
Thanks for your quick replies. You’ve saved me a lot more time trying to understand the nights.

Even if Marriott doesn’t keep me at gold, there shouldn’t be much of a time gap between earning gold.

I wasn’t around during the peak elite benefits, however, I like the dependable nature of a clean, comfortable Marriott room, usually friendly staff and a hotel in most cities.
Based upon my experience, there doesn’t seem to be a big difference between gold & silver except being able to grab a cold soda, snack or morning bite in a quiet lounge.
Actually in the last 42 nights, I’ve only been upgraded 1x and that was at a Fairfield Inn in Wausau, WI. This was probably due to me staying there the same week for a couple years. I was given complimentary breakfast at a Courtyard in IL but that was after asking the manager to match the breakfast I'd receive at the full service Marriott that was close.

Gosh, now I’m not sure why I’m trying to keep Marriott gold..........

Thanks again for the information.

Most of us consider lounge access a pretty big difference..

Not a part of the program, so a definite extra that should always be considered an exception....if you are trying to keep GOLD for these reasons you should stay/move to SPG....

Locations, locations, locations....if a chain doesn't have 'em where you need 'em, does it really matter how great the program may be?
Old Dec 23, 2009, 6:06 am

Hi sophigirl, I should preview my posts for clarity before I hit enter. I didn't intend for it to be critical of Marriott. I do consider the lounge a big deal as this is one of the reasons I was concerned about keeping gold. Additionally, Marriott's are in the cities I'm working and I can usually count on a clean, comfortable room.

As for upgrades & breakfast, I was trying to share my gold experience as silver, gold, plat queries are frequent this board. The post turned into a rambling mess which is common for me. I'll go back to being a lurker.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:44 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat
Elite Rollover Nights to 2011 & Instant Redemption

Did not see any prior postings in search on this topic...

J.W. Marriott Jr. letter accompanying new platinum card:

"Not only have we updated the look of your card, we're extending our Elite Rollover nights promotion another year. That means any nights stayed above your renewal level in 2010 will carry over to 2011.

"We are adding Instant Redemption to the many benefits you already enjoy. We are excited to announce this new benefit (coming this spring) to you as an Elite member. This first-of-its-kind program will let you redeem points at checkout for your entire folio balance or for individual items - like drinks or dinner."
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Interesting. I'm still waiting for my 2010 wallet candy.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:13 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This is great, I'm getting 3 yrs of Platinum now since I stayed 226 nights this past year.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, Starwood Platinum, Hertz Pres. Circle, WN CP, CO Onepass, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by Swiss CMH
"We are adding Instant Redemption to the many benefits you already enjoy. We are excited to announce this new benefit (coming this spring) to you as an Elite member. This first-of-its-kind program will let you redeem points at checkout for your entire folio balance or for individual items - like drinks or dinner."
Any guesses what the redemption value will be?? 100 points per dollar (e.g., 5000pts redeems for $50)? 200 points per dollar?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, and a mug on the wall at the local brewpub
Concierge? Double rollover?

Originally Posted by schuepbach
This is great, I'm getting 3 yrs of Platinum now since I stayed 226 nights this past year.
This isn't so clear. It is ambiguous whether 09 nights rolled into 10 will then roll into 11, or whether only nights actually stayed in 10 above the relevant elite qualification level will roll into 11.

Marriott concierge?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
And I was 4 nights short 71 nights total oh well.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:25 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Extra nights will only roll from 2009 to 2010. So schuepbach, for example, will have 151 nights already on the books for '10 (226 - 75 = 151), but not 76 from the remainder of that amount going into '11.

That being said, the 151 rollover nights will fulfill the Platinum renewal requirements for 2010, which means his/her Platinum status is will be good through 2011. So including 2009, "3 years of Platinum" is accurate.

I hope that's clear. Sounded kind of arcane when I read it back to myself, but as always, if you have questions about the specifics of your account, PM me and I'll be glad to take a look.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
If schuepbach stays another 50 nights this year, will those 50 nights will rollover into 2011 since Marriott is extending the elite rollover promotion another year?

I presume that the nights he carried over from 2009 fulfilled his 75 needed for platinum qualification in 2010, thus making the 50 nights eligible to be carried over to 2011 as extra nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.