Wiki Posts
Search

Making mistake? miles vs. points

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2001, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Location: Sacramento, CA No longer UA 1K Marriott Silver, Hilton diamond
Making mistake? miles vs. points

Looking for some suggestions. I have been using getting credit to my FF United miles and not marriott points. However it appears that I will hit the Gold level with Marriott and now I'm wondering - should I have been using points instead of miles? Which way is a better way to benefit? Look forward to your responses.... I fear that I have made a bad choice.......
Old Dec 18, 2001, 8:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
As a general rule of thumb I think most would agree that it is usually best to earn Marriott points. Keep the points or miles within its respective program.

An exception would be if you don't plan to patronize a particular program very much.
Old Dec 18, 2001, 9:51 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
I would take the points -- the bonuses are such that if you stay a night at a full service Marriott (i.e., not a Fairfield or Courtyard or Residence), you are earning almost a third of a free night. And they do have some nice properties around the country -- the Camelback Spa in Scottsdale and the Ihilani on Oahu are two of our favorites.
Old Dec 19, 2001, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Ditto on the points, I believe these are far more valuable than miles. Like someone else said, the gen'l rule of thumb is to keep them in the currency of the program you are participating in.
Old Dec 19, 2001, 11:07 am

Take points. If you later decide that you need miles, you can then buy them with your marriott points at an even better return than you would have gotten had you simply earned miles from the beginning. Plus, all the bonuses make it even better.

http://www.marriottrewards.com/awards/airrewards.asp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.