Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best Use for 300,000 Marriot Rewards Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2001, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Location: Mesa, AZ USA - UA Prem Ex- SPG Gold - Hilton Diamond - Marriot Platinum - Avis Chairman - National EE

Hello All,

I have accumulated 300,000 points in Marriots Rewards over the past 2 years. The points were accumulated about 50 - 50 Marriott stays or xfers from Amex Member Rewards.

I had accumulated these miles to take one of the carnival 4 day or 7 day caribbean cruises but with the increase in point requirements in Marriott Rewards next year; I dont think this is a good a bargain.

Thus, help me in terms of creative ideas for xfering the 300,000 points elsewhere for use. I have a ton of airline miles and rewards so prefer to use these points for cruises or "other" types of travel.

Thanks for the tips.

Art

------------------
Art

UA Premier Exec
Continental Gold Elite
Marriott Platinum
Hertz Presidents Circle
Old Nov 20, 2001, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Location: Mesa, AZ USA - UA Prem Ex- SPG Gold - Hilton Diamond - Marriot Platinum - Avis Chairman - National EE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by capetown:
Hello All,

I have accumulated 300,000 points in Marriotts Rewards over the past 2 years. The points were accumulated about 50 - 50 Marriott stays or xfers from Amex Member Rewards.

I had accumulated these miles to take one of the Carnival 4 day or 7 day caribbean cruises but with the increase in point requirements in Marriott Rewards next year; I dont think this is a good a bargain.

Thus, help me in terms of creative ideas for xfering the 300,000 points elsewhere for use. I have a ton of airline miles and rewards so prefer to use these points for cruises or "other" types of travel.

Thanks for the tips.

Art

</font>

------------------
Art

UA Premier Exec
Continental Gold Elite
Marriott Platinum
Hertz Presidents Circle
Old Nov 20, 2001, 5:40 am

If you like golf try one of the golf-combo packages -- they are usually a first class operation.

Otherwise, the points are best used for the combo awards from a value perspective.
Old Nov 20, 2001, 7:18 am

I agree 100% with thinking. The various package awards (especially the air/hotel awards) provide by far the best value - even without the old 713/714 awards.
Old Nov 20, 2001, 7:43 am

Another thought....CRUISES are sooo cheap right now that the use of points for one would be a travesty!! Don't do it! I, in fact just purchased a 7-night Caribbean cruise from Celebrity for $399 per person...that's just incredible and I've never seen the prices this low. Save your points if you're intent on cruising.
Old Nov 20, 2001, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist
Give them to me!

Seriously tho, if you're in the spirit of giving (what with the upcoming holiday season and all) you might consider donating an award to the Make-A-Wish foundation or some other organization like that.
Old Nov 21, 2001, 12:08 am
Original Poster

All,

Thanks for your thoughtful responses. You are excatly right in that cruises are dirt cheap now and I agree it would be crazy to use the points for a cruise.

So as for now we will get the Sony Vaio portable computer for 240,000 points (the Sony Vaio is selling for about $1450 so that is a very good deal for the points.

Thanks

Art

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IM4Travel:
Another thought....CRUISES are sooo cheap right now that the use of points for one would be a travesty!! Don't do it! I, in fact just purchased a 7-night Caribbean cruise from Celebrity for $399 per person...that's just incredible and I've never seen the prices this low. Save your points if you're intent on cruising.</font>

[This message has been edited by capetown (edited 11-21-2001).]
Old Nov 21, 2001, 6:34 am

I've got to question your math -- if you value the points at 1.5 cent per point (a fairly common valuation), then the 240,000 points needed for the computer are worth $3600 -- which says you are paying way too much for that computer.
Old Nov 21, 2001, 8:55 am
Jib

Programs: DL 5MM+/FC/DM through 2022, UA PEX, Marriott PPMLT, Starwood PM, Hertz PM
I would recommend that you be careful in using points for merchandise. My experince has been that the electronics are almost always "last year's/discontinued model" and can be purchased cheaper for cash online or at a electronics discounters. Certianly, computers are even risker as you have no one to contact for technical support.
Old Nov 21, 2001, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with the points for merchandise thoughts. I was looking to burn some Hilton points and there was a Sony TV for ~200,000 points. It had a listed retail of $800.00. A quick search found several retailers offering it in the $350-400.00 range.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.