Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:38 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Chris26WI
apart from that, I just like their pool at Sukh 57. And - in contrary to most other posters here -.
Agreed about the CY vs. Suk57 ...

The pool at Suk 57, yah, I love the pool

Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
What is the current wisdom on JW v. Renaissance? Leaning to the Ren as it is a bit more convenient to my conference...
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boraxo
What is the current wisdom on JW v. Renaissance? Leaning to the Ren as it is a bit more convenient to my conference...
JW is more business and Renaisaance seems to have more of a resort/home feel. But Renaissance has too many events and loads of bus tours nowadays. I do like their rooms and lounge food is different but both good quality. Renaissance pool is quite cold and their bar up there next to useless.

Hard call. My personal preference is Renaissance for stays. Food overall is better at JW.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
assuming you'd get a studio suite upwards at Ren, certainly Ren IMHO
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Allvest
Yea, but a package of Zithromax is about 600 baht...and most people will need one after eating street food.
Be careful with Zithromax, normally I travel with Cipro, which is often considered the all purpose antibiotic. Though better to simply use immodium unless you have a persistent bacteria.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/257624.php

FDA Warns Antibiotic Zithromax Can Cause Irregular Heart Activity
Old Aug 23, 2013, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Be careful with Zithromax, normally I travel with Cipro, which is often considered the all purpose antibiotic. Though better to simply use immodium unless you have a persistent bacteria.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/257624.php

FDA Warns Antibiotic Zithromax Can Cause Irregular Heart Activity
In most countries either one of those need a prescription but that warning is a bit overstated. Cipro is pretty hard core but also useful against anthrax... What I like about Z max is its long half life allowing single dose (1-1.5g) treatment.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:02 pm

I just returned from a weeks stay at the Renaissance. We had booked what was mentioned as a 3 bedroom Presidential suite. Overall not bad but it is actually just a one bedroom suite which is then connected to 2 interconnecting rooms. Those rooms are sold separately as deluxe rooms. Moreover the room description on the website says washing dryer machine in the suite in totally incorrect. Location is good albeit a bit in the inside on not actually on the main road. Quite dark decor present everywhere. Loads of tourists present and some film stars as well - both Thai and Indian. The lounge is good - excellent staff but not very good food offerings. The JWM has better. stuff but staff here were better. Got upset as they dont allow kids into the lounge even if accompanied by adults. Breakfast is actually meant to be taken only in lounge but if you request then they can allow in the restaurant. However the staff downstairs were not too sure and made us wait until they got the clearance - irritating actually. Spread of food is great but too crowded.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by Allvest
JW is more business and Renaisaance seems to have more of a resort/home feel. But Renaissance has too many events and loads of bus tours nowadays. I do like their rooms and lounge food is different but both good quality. Renaissance pool is quite cold and their bar up there next to useless.

Hard call. My personal preference is Renaissance for stays. Food overall is better at JW.

We just got back from a stay at the Renaissance. Awesome stay and we were upgraded to an "R Suite." Lounge is excellent, hotel restaurants seem to be pretty popular with locals, but I agree on the pool being cold and the bar at the pool being non-existent.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by newaarondavidson
We just got back from a stay at the Renaissance. Awesome stay and we were upgraded to an "R Suite." Lounge is excellent, hotel restaurants seem to be pretty popular with locals, but I agree on the pool being cold and the bar at the pool being non-existent.
Agree with recent comments about the Renaissance - I stayed at the Renaissance Ratchprasong around the same time. Upgraded to an executive level suite, which was huge and beautiful, with a great view. Location is good - near BTS, and cab rides to anywhere in BKK are pretty cheap if the BTS doesn't go your way, staff are very helpful and accommodating. Lounge is fabulous - great spread for breakfast and happy hour, and happy hour lasts several hours so a nice place for a sundowner (or three).

Pool too cold for swimming which was a downer. Other than that, loved the hotel.

Highly recommend Issaya Siamese Club for a meal, great food, not too far away by taxi and very charming.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 1:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Bangkok Marriott 57 stay report

Checkin pretty quick w PAG offered
Upgraded to 39th Fl Exec Room
For a new hotel bed really "lumpy" and sheets of mixed blend or just cheap cotton as very itchy
Toilet has bay windows w/o and way to block (so can wave to neighbors)
Pool lounges extremely uncomfortable
Lounge chairs extremly uncomfortable
Lounge has no one to verify accesss so you'll find "mini" villages of certain nationalities occupying the space
Checked out at 10AM

There are much better Marriott's, as well as other brands, to stay at in Bangkok.........
Old Oct 6, 2013, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
Bangkok Marriott 57 stay report
Toilet has bay windows w/o and way to block (so can wave to neighbors)
in my room there used to be electric sheets on the toilet window?
Old Oct 6, 2013, 7:41 am
Suspended

they had this on the shower/bathtub window, but not on the seperate toilet window I just left............

in my room there used to be electric sheets on the toilet window?
Old Oct 6, 2013, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
they had this on the shower/bathtub window, but not on the seperate toilet window I just left............
ahh.. my room didn't have any seperate toilet..
Old Oct 6, 2013, 7:49 am
Suspended

perhaps the corner rooms are designed differently.....

anyhow, another nergative I forgot to add was that my wife took the lift downb to the parking area and got trapped in the lift.........she called the technician to free her and once free he told her that the hotel still did not have a mechanical clearance cert (and this has been a constant problem)...........

as Trink would write in the Post long ago, "huMAN natURE"..........

ahh.. my room didn't have any seperate toilet..
Old Oct 7, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JW report: I did not stay here but my colleague did so I took the opportunity to check it out. The rooms are very nice but not as large and deluxe as the one I received at St. Regis. IMO the JW has a better location that St. Regis/Four Seasons/Hyatt/Intercontinental as it is walking distance from some good restaurants and bars. Also close to some of the more popular tailors.

I was quite impressed with the large exec lounge - you could definitely make a meal at dinnertime and free flowing beverages at the open bar (not to mention table service!) However it was a bit crowded.

I would definitely consider staying at the JW though the St. Regis was unbelievably good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.