Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2013, 5:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cln
Yes !

BKK LEE are you talking about http://www.myclubmarriott.com/ membership card ?
Yes
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
Originally Posted by Ducati
^
Or, another method of transportation to avoid being ripped off is to take the airport rail link from the airport to the last stop (Phaya Thai). Then transfer to the BTS and go four stops to the Renaissance (Phloen Chit). Should take no more than an hour and cost less than 3 euros per person or 7 euros for the express airport link.
a viable option if you're alone and not bringing along any major luggage, but if not then dragging your baggage from the airport arrival area to get on the airport express, then changing at Phayathai station (seperate ticket and not just crossing the tracks), then getting off at Ploenchit and getting downstairs and dragging the bags 200M+ up to the hotel entrance is an option (and if you're 2 together then the cost of this option is equal to a door-to-door taxi without the hassle).........
Dragging? Most luggage have wheels. 200 meters is not far.

By hassle, you mean getting ripped off by the cab driver? The train will avoid that 100% of the time.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Allvest
^
Or, another method of transportation to avoid being ripped off is to take the airport rail link from the airport to the last stop (Phaya Thai). Then transfer to the BTS and go four stops to the Renaissance (Phloen Chit). Should take no more than an hour and cost less than 3 euros per person or 7 euros for the express airport link.
If you travel with only a small backpack yes. Maybe.

For most international travellers arriving in Bangkok it's a rather useless option.
Don't see how it's useless when I seen foreigners using the airport link all the time. It's quite comfortable and quick every single time. Try taking a cab during rush hour...
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't see how it's useless when I seen foreigners using the airport link all the time. It's quite comfortable and quick every single time. Try taking a cab during rush hour...
I use it when traffic is busy as long as I have carry on baggage only.

The hassles are the terrible design of the "link" between the airport link and the BTS which involves several sets of stairs, uses two different ticketing systems (one with tokens and one with a stored value or one trip value card) and unclear signage on how to move from one area to another.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:24 am
Suspended

You see foreigners using it all the time with luggage? And do you know anyone using it who actually becomes a repeat customer?

Anyone taking a bunch of luggage on the BTS during rush probably will try it once only.

I am all for public transportation but this isn't one I personally fancy. Again if you don't want to get ripped off there is the AOT car service for 900 baht.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ws8n
So it is just the lounge that is offered for Plat/Gold member @ Ren?
This offer had nothing to do with status, we were on a paid executive floor room rate at both hotels !
Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Operations Manager at the BKK Courtyard informs that in addition to the updated menu at MoMo that they will offer a chefs daily special, additional items on the room service menu and upgrade the evening snack offerings at the EL.......... welcome news for those who frequent this property.............
Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Operations Manager at the BKK Courtyard informs that in addition to the updated menu at MoMo that they will offer a chefs daily special, additional items on the room service menu and upgrade the evening snack offerings at the EL.......... welcome news for those who frequent this property.............
The never ending same evening offerings at the CY have become bit tired. There is only so much Cesar Salad you can eat day after day....
Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:49 am
Suspended

perhaps your (and my own) complaint was heard by mgt and so changes are afoot (supposedly for the better)..........

Originally Posted by holtju2
The never ending same evening offerings at the CY have become bit tired. There is only so much Cesar Salad you can eat day after day....
Old Aug 1, 2013, 1:37 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
That is great news. .. I never liked the menu at momo... they daily lunch offer was interesting sometimes but the menu was just boring and the quality was also below average ..

Curious about new lounge offerings as well.. Will be back there soon
Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
perhaps your (and my own) complaint was heard by mgt and so changes are afoot (supposedly for the better)..........
I never complained about the evening offerings, as this is Courtyard, but had few words with the Danish GM one morning at the breakfast.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
At Renaissance now, and I'm loving it.

For those who arrive at BKK airport, it took be just under 2 hrs to get to the hotel.

Here's a brief:

5pm landed at BKK Suvarnabhumi
5:20pm at Immigration (long walk to immigration; short line immigration, about 10 ppl ahead)

5:45pm Airrail City Line (get small notes before hand, cuz counter is closed, so only machines available)
6:15pm Phaya Thai
6:30pm BTS to Chidlom (have small change, preferably coins for BTS ticket)
Keep on the left side of the train cuz train will get packed at Siam station.
6:45pm Chidlom - walk down the stairs, head to exit 2.
Walk thru the shopping mall and take lift down to ground flr. Walk about 2 mins to Renaissance.

This is still by far the best way to reach Renassiance, as I heard from the FD Mgr that guest had walked in from main road due to traffic jam.

There are lifts at Phaya Thai Airrail. The only problem for those with luggage is at Chidlom, where there is a long flight of steps doing down.

Food at Club lounge is extensive and good quality.
How does it compare with JW Marriott?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:19 am
Suspended

you hit BKK at rush hour..............
did you have much baggage cause if you did the transfer at Phyathai Station isn't that great, nor is the transfer at Siam with the "crowd" not believing in any sort of que.............

I'd avoid the Lumpini Park intersection as there are ongoing protests/traffic jams here for at least another week........

Originally Posted by ws8n
At Renaissance now, and I'm loving it.

For those who arrive at BKK airport, it took be just under 2 hrs to get to the hotel.

Here's a brief:

5pm landed at BKK Suvarnabhumi
5:20pm at Immigration (long walk to immigration; short line immigration, about 10 ppl ahead)

5:45pm Airrail City Line (get small notes before hand, cuz counter is closed, so only machines available)
6:15pm Phaya Thai
6:30pm BTS to Chidlom (have small change, preferably coins for BTS ticket)
Keep on the left side of the train cuz train will get packed at Siam station.
6:45pm Chidlom - walk down the stairs, head to exit 2.
Walk thru the shopping mall and take lift down to ground flr. Walk about 2 mins to Renaissance.

This is still by far the best way to reach Renassiance, as I heard from the FD Mgr that guest had walked in from main road due to traffic jam.

There are lifts at Phaya Thai Airrail. The only problem for those with luggage is at Chidlom, where there is a long flight of steps doing down.

Food at Club lounge is extensive and good quality.
How does it compare with JW Marriott?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Phyathai Station is manageable.

It's the Siam BTS that is sardined-packed.
But as it's only 1 stop away from Chidlom, it wasn't too bad.
I had my rollerboard with me, which was useful to create some space infront of me.

So for those that are stay at Renaissance BKK, I do recommend taking BTS if travelling light.

you hit BKK at rush hour..............
did you have much baggage cause if you did the transfer at Phyathai Station isn't that great, nor is the transfer at Siam with the "crowd" not believing in any sort of que.............

I'd avoid the Lumpini Park intersection as there are ongoing protests/traffic jams here for at least another week........
Old Aug 10, 2013, 3:47 am
Suspended

after joining dfe for breakfast the last time he was in town at the Marriott Sukhumvit 57 and not finding it recommendable, since I was in the area tried the place for lunch today...............I had a club sandwich which wound up being a chicken salad sandwich onto which thet topped it with bacon..............my other half ordered a prawn rocket salad which wound up being 75% bean sprouts (and the limited rocket was never cut!)..............

still hungry left their 57 lunch rest and ordered cake/tea at their in-house bakery.................the chocolate cake had to have been sitting there for days on end cause it was stale and when I asked for Ronnefelt Red Berries (tea) although they use the Ronnefelt brand no Red Berries (always available at JW, ren and even CY) and told they never even heard of it (and I speak Thai so there was no misunderstanding)............

conclusion - if you want to waste your money and not enjoy your meal, go to Mar Suk 57 anytime!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I won't be back for any future B/L/Ds and just CXLed future hotel stays here too)...........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.