Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2013, 2:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
and my vote is for the Ren as I've always been upgraded both as a G&P to a studio suite w lounge access vrs the JW where I've never rec'd an upgrade as a P (and will never be returning to, but for other reasons)....

Ren has a much better location as well IMO a much better clientel....

Originally Posted by johnaalex
My vote is for the JW, as Gold you'll get Lounge access and it is a very nice lounge and other benefits icluding free pressing for 3 items per day. You can never be assured of an upgrade but I expect you'[[ get one if only only to a similar room on an Exec Floor.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 2:45 am

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
Hi, I know nada about Marriott, but we have a Cat 1-5 night to burn and a one-night stay coming up in Bangkok. I am Marriott Gold via United 1K. Our primary concerns for this stay are Club access and location. A room upgrade would be nice, too.

Will we receive complimentary club access at either the JW Marriott or Renaissance on a free night? Room upgrade?

We've been to Bangkok before for several days, so we aren't too concerned with sightseeing. We will most likely go clubbing and/or to the night market. We may also go out near some tourist sights to intentionally get taken on a jewelery scan for entertainment. Which has a better location for our activities -- JW Marriott or Renaissance?

Thanks in advance for the help!
my vote is for the Ren . club access sure, probably also upgrade to corner room (if available)
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
+1 on the REN.

Have stayed at both a few times.

Ren is better location/nicer neighborhood, nicer rooms, better upgrades (personal experience), great staff, great lounge.

JW lounge is larger and has a patio - that is the only plus.

They are both nice hotels but the Ren seems to treat elites a lot better than the JW, and I am a PP. (in my experience)
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:39 am
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
Agree 100% About BKK Ren

Have stayed at the Ren 10 times in the last year or so. Will do another at the end of the month as well in Dec. I agree with all of the positive comments expressed above, after giving up on the JW after about 45 stays. However, IMO the CY is also an excellent option from a value standpoint. Typically get an upgrade to a larger room, and elites get buffet breakfast at MoMo and lounge access (lounge on the lite side but a very good deal for the room night price). Location not quite as good as the Ren, but not bad.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:56 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
WOW! You guys are awesome. I think this about the friendliest and most enthusiastic advice I've ever received on Flyertalk. (Not one of you told me "do a search". )

I think we will go with the Renaissance. We stayed at the InterContinental across the street last time, and we liked the location.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Stayed at the Ren twice and received nothing as a GOLD except what I am entitled to. Room was on Executive Floor. Big deal same as room booked and of course they have to give me Lounge access. Impossible to take a taxi anywhere 4-8pm. Can't get out of the Parking lot so SkyTrain only viable option.

Executive Lounge is very nice but still find the CY much better value as many days the Ren is 2x the price of the CY. Always get upgraded at CY. No doubt Ren has a more luxurious feel and if price is anywhere near the CY I would choose it but it happens only rarely.

Of course if I were using certs for free nights again Ren is better value. Most nights if you are spending your own money CY is better value.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by kapkap46
Stayed at the Ren twice and received nothing as a GOLD except what I am entitled to. Impossible to take a taxi anywhere 4-8pm. Can't get out of the Parking lot so SkyTrain only viable option.
BKK traffic is bad everywhere at that time.

Fortunately BTS Skytrain station is about 100 meters away.

BTS is an easy, clean, safe, and inexpensive way to get around.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
+1

Originally Posted by nachosdelux

Old Nov 7, 2013, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by nachosdelux

I agree with that. Unfortunately BTS does not even come close to going everywhere..If it happens to go where you are going it is great and if not then you are forced to deal with traffic and Ploenchit Rd may be one of the worst roads in BKK for traffic.

There are alternate ways to get out of the CY. There are none out of REN. I know I sat in the parking lot for 30 minutes 1 day before I gave up.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:15 am
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
Stayed at the Ren twice and received nothing as a GOLD except what I am entitled to. Room was on Executive Floor. Big deal same as room booked and of course they have to give me Lounge access. Impossible to take a taxi anywhere 4-8pm. Can't get out of the Parking lot so SkyTrain only viable option.

Executive Lounge is very nice but still find the CY much better value as many days the Ren is 2x the price of the CY. Always get upgraded at CY. No doubt Ren has a more luxurious feel and if price is anywhere near the CY I would choose it but it happens only rarely.

Of course if I were using certs for free nights again Ren is better value. Most nights if you are spending your own money CY is better value.
I don't quite understand why you expect to receive more than you are entitled to as a GOLD. You get a larger room and club access (just as I do as a Plat) at both the Ren and then CY--never a two room suite--what more are you looking for? Sounds like an over-entitled mentality.

I agree that traffic on Ploenchit is horrendous, but you can walk to BTS (one block) or walk up to the Erawan/Ratchadarmi intersection two blocks (if not too lazy) and get a taxi--but good luck that it will be any better going anywhere than Ploenchit at 4-8 PM.

Staying at the CY requires a walk (or tuk-tuk ride) to Ratchadarmi where traffic is not much better than Ploenchit. A couple of weeks ago coming into the CY at 2:30 PM I was stuck in a taxi on Ratchadarmi for over an hour just coming off Wireless Road (like 1 mile or less). So I disagree that the Ren is in a bad location. Traffic problems in BKK are simply a fact of life and you learn to adjust. If on business you plan well ahead--or if on holiday and no agenda what does it matter.

I also agree that the CY is a great value with G&P elites comp buffet breakfast at MoMo and lounge access (lite lounge--but great for the room night price).

Finally--where in the world do you get your pricing comparison? The Ren is only 500 -700 THB ($15-$20) more than the CY consistently--never, ever 2x. I stay at both very often at all times of the year and have never seen anything like what you are alleging on any of my bookings.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dfe
Finally--where in the world do you get your pricing comparison? The Ren is only 500 -700 THB ($15-$20) more than the CY consistently--never, ever 2x. I stay at both very often at all times of the year and have never seen anything like what you are alleging on any of my bookings.
I'm planning a february stay in BKK and for my dates CY is 2800 THB, Ren 4760 THB. Not quite 2x but way more than 500-700 anyways.

Those rates don't matter for me thou but if I check my corp. rate instead, CY is quite exactly 50% of Ren.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:26 am
dfe
In memoriam

Originally Posted by FinnishFlash
I'm planning a february stay in BKK and for my dates CY is 2800 THB, Ren 4760 THB. Not quite 2x but way more than 500-700 anyways.

Those rates don't matter for me thou but if I check my corp. rate instead, CY is quite exactly 50% of Ren.
I stand corrected. Looking forward checking several sample dates in Feb and March, the rate differential is greater than I suggested (500-700 THB) based on my past experience. But still not anything like 2x. For example a 02/11 - 02/17 stay would be 3885 THB at the Ren vs 2800 THB at CY -- a 1085 difference (about $31) but still not like anything close to 2x, which would make the Ren rate about 5600 THB -- more than the JW at 5490 p/n.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:06 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
My vote goes to the new Marriott Sukhumvit 57. Its location right around the corner from Thonglor (Soi 55) with its own verity of dining and shopping venues, steps from the Thonglor BTS station, right across the street from Sukhumvit 38 and its awesome night market and food stalls, and in the same soi where 4 small authentic Japanese restaurants are located. It is the only Marriott with its own rooftop venues on 45-48 floors and a swimming pool that overlooks the city on the 7th floor. Crisp new and clean property with awesome service and recognition to boot.

Brand new crisp clean proerty -------------------------------------------------- Rooftop venues

Buying Ping Moo at the morning market Suk 57 ----------------------------------- Happy hour food offerings at the lounge

4 small Japanese restaurants right across the street ------------------------------ Infinity pool overlooking the city

Sukhumvit 38 night market stays open past midnight ------------------------------ Great service & familiar faces from Marriott other properties
Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:19 am

Jan 14 -17 CY 2800 ++ = 3250 REN 4760 ++ = 5600

Pretty close to 2x and there are many days when it is more then 2x.. By the way that equals about $80 US which is reall money to me over a 3-5 day stay since I am using my own money.

I understand if someone is using companies money then I would choose REN also

But the price would have to be a lot closer for me which it rarely is. Also I have always been given the MoMo Buffet which easily brings the difference to 2x . Not the best buffet in BKK but better then the Executive Lounge in the REN.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:01 am
dfe
In memoriam

Jan 14 -17 CY 2800 ++ = 3250 REN 4760 ++ = 5600

Pretty close to 2x and there are many days when it is more then 2x.. By the way that equals about $80 US which is reall money to me over a 3-5 day stay since I am using my own money.

I understand if someone is using companies money then I would choose REN also

But the price would have to be a lot closer for me which it rarely is. Also I have always been given the MoMo Buffet which easily brings the difference to 2x . Not the best buffet in BKK but better then the Executive Lounge in the REN.
OK you are correct for regular BAR rates for that period.
I am also using my own money, but probably should have clarified that I have Club Marriott membership which offers discounted rates at various properties--not at all and not all the time, but pretty much consistently at the Ren. So using my CM rates for Jan 14 - 17 I get 2800 at the CY and 3920 at the Ren. Obviously, unfair comparisons to the BAR with the CM discount. Sorry if I mislead with my apples to oranges comparisons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.