Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ihilani Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2001, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marriott Plat.
Ihilani Marriott

We are planning a visit to Oahu and stay at the Marriott Ihilani, but as we have never been to Pearl Harbor had hoped to be able to tour while we are on Oahu. Is it an easy drive from the resort or should we stay in Honolulu? We have been to Hawaii several times and even drove the road to Hana so driving is certainly an option. Thanks
Old Oct 28, 2001, 8:16 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
It is a close and easy drive to Pearl Harbor,
less than 14 miles away.

Stay at the Ihilani, you'll love it.

[This message has been edited by Sweet Willie (edited 10-28-2001).]
Old Oct 29, 2001, 6:41 am

Yes, the Ihilani is amazing. It FEELS like Hawaii there. If you stay in Honolulu, you may as well be in Fort Lauderdale.
Old Oct 29, 2001, 9:32 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Woohoo I'm going to be at the Ihilani in less than 3 weeks now.. I'm just counting the days now
Old Oct 29, 2001, 9:44 am

The Ihilani is definitely the way to go. You would never know you're only 20min from western Honolulu, partially because there is a ridge of mountains along the eastern side of the Ko Olina Resort area that blocks the line of sight to the city. But it is so peaceful and serene there. The Japanese did this place justice as it was built as a Hotel Nikko and I say kudos to Marriott for picking it up. Stayed there in January in an approximately 700sq.ft. oceanfront guest room. Incredible accommodations and equally incredible views from our huge lanai. Something around the 7th floor is the best, I think. That way you are just above the treetops and nothing is in the distance but the ocean. Great spa. Great resort! Right choice...

AtlMan
Old Oct 29, 2001, 9:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AtlMan:
and I say kudos to Marriott for picking it up.</font>
Does Marriott own this hotel? I thought I read somewhere that Marriott only has a management contract with this hotel.

Old Oct 30, 2001, 9:41 am

Whether ownership or mgmt contract, I am not aware. To me, saying 'picked it up' left that open because I wasn't certain of the type of agreement in place. As I moonlight w/Marriott every couple of months, I get incredible rates at Marriott's worldwide, which is why we stayed at the Ihilani, Maui Marriott and Renaissance Wailea Beach Resort in January. Couldn't beat the deal for $84/night @ the Ihilani and Renaissance. The Maui Marriott was comped. Nice perk, eh?

AtlMan
Old Oct 31, 2001, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Scotch:
Does Marriott own this hotel? I thought I read somewhere that Marriott only has a management contract with this hotel.

</font>

Marriott normally never buys a hotel, unless it has strategic plans for it that also include selling it to someone else.
Old Nov 1, 2001, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Pitflyer,

would you be kind enough to post a trip report when you get back, i'm going to hawaii in Jan but havent' decided where yet. I have my tix to HNL and have narrowed it down to Oahu and Maui. I know Maui is awesome but its also three times the cost per night.

thanks

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pitflyer:
Woohoo I'm going to be at the Ihilani in less than 3 weeks now.. I'm just counting the days now </font>
Old Nov 1, 2001, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Ihilani is a great place. Been there often. However, if you are looking for night life or activity, it is not the place to go. Very quiet, beautiful place. And not much near by, so one cannot easily economize by going to local, smaller restaurants.

Probably more expensive than most places on Maui as well.
About 20 minutes from Honolulu just past where the H1 freeway ends. There is a bus to the area, but about 300 yds from the main gate to the resort (not a good option) and then 300 yds to the beach areas.

NOTE: If you are in HNL and have a car, one can use the beaches and enjoy the place without staying or using the hotel (although one can eat / shop at the hotel). Just drive past the main gate and tell them your are going to the beach. Then pass the hotel and there are 3 coves with parking (limited) about every 100 yards. Showers, phones, toilets, etc. at each cove.

Old Nov 17, 2001, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Marriott does not own the hotel. It is owned by a consortium of insurance companies and mutual fund companies. Marriott is building a timeshare resort about a five minute walk from the Ihilani.

This is a fabulous place to stay, with the only drawback being no restaurants nearby and extraordinarily high prices for meals at the resort itself- particularly dinner.
Old Nov 17, 2001, 11:46 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I have stayed there as well, it is fabulous -I liked the beach and pool especially.

The food though (I thought) left a lot to be desired.
Old Nov 18, 2001, 6:31 pm

Programs: Northwest-millionair; Marriott, lifetime gold
There is a town about a five minute drive from the Ihilani, with a number of inexpensive restaurants, including Korean, Chinese, Italian, and the usual American chains.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.