FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   BIG CHANGES FOR MARRIOT REWARDS! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/136825-big-changes-marriot-rewards.html)

baglady Apr 27, 2001 11:44 am

dup again!

[This message has been edited by baglady (edited 04-28-2001).]

DOC 2 BE Apr 27, 2001 12:03 pm

MSB --

If you have a spouse, it is easy. Just have them sign up for the Mariott Visa Card and then when the points come in, combine them. That is and easy 10,000 points!

http://www.firstusa.com/cgi-bin/webc...bm01&page=cont

baglady Apr 27, 2001 2:55 pm

dup

baglady Apr 27, 2001 2:58 pm

dup

baglady Apr 27, 2001 3:08 pm

dup

baglady Apr 27, 2001 3:23 pm

dup

LIH Prem Apr 27, 2001 5:22 pm

doc: I think the ability to mix-and-match is a good benefit. There's an example on the web site .. apparently the only requirement for combining the "standard" award with a "stay anytime" award is that the entire stay has to be consecutive days. (So, the "stay anytime" days could be Tuesday and Thursday combined with a 5-day "standard" award for a stay from Sunday - Saturday, and, in theory this would require a 2-day stay anytime award combined with a 5-day regular award.)

-David

LIH Prem Apr 27, 2001 5:25 pm

[duplicate]

[This message has been edited by LIH Prem (edited 04-28-2001).]

310Bearcat Apr 28, 2001 12:39 am

One thing I have noticed over the years is that Marriott always listens to the requests of its most loyal guests. As many of us are high level busniessmen and women, we all know that most most changes come with quite a price tag. I have always requested that they give us more flexability and availability for the redemption of Marriott Reward Points. The 4 and 6 nights rewards are great! I have been waiting for some type of reward I can use anytime - regardless if there happens to be rooms available for point redemption. The $35.00 express charges have always been a point of contention to many of us from time to time. Guess what? Marriott has accomodated these requests. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif
Who was it that said that the only thing that is constant is change? If you run a business like I do, you already know how these things work.
My business sense tells me that after the initial sting and suprise, these will be positive and worthwhile changes. Besides, what percentage has our gas prices increased since just ten years ago? I don't hear many of us changing our loyalty to an alternative fuel source.
I'm Out!

IM4Travel Apr 28, 2001 5:59 am

That's mostly because alternative fuel source is NOT easily available like Hilton, Starwood and Hyatt are....bad analogy.

silverpie Apr 28, 2001 8:45 am

I notice over at biztravel that Randy has "broken the code" on the new package awards. Take the value of the hotel portion in points, add the miles redeemed at 1:1, and there you go. Therefore, this can only fail to be good value in one unusual case. As it happens, that case applies to me (I don't get enough vacation time that I can more than very rarely spend 7 nights in one place.) But if you can, then even if you have to burn the certificate in a category 1 on a 50k-mile award, your cost was exactly the same as cashing points for the stay and miles separately, and you get a phone card (and those of you who can drive get a discount too).

MVCIguy May 6, 2001 5:41 am

Originally posted by msrohud:
Out of curiousity, other than the loss of the car in the "ol' 713", when did Marriott significantly change their Rewards program last? Thanks.
The last change was 12 years ago in 1989.

MVCIguy May 6, 2001 9:18 am

Thank you. Finally, someone who sees that Marriott's program, even though it has changed, is still better than any other options out there. It seems that everyone overlooks the fact that there is inflation and because of that, you don't have to stay as many nights in a Marriott hotel as you did 12 years ago (the last time the program changed). Which means so many people have so many points that it made it more difficult to actually get in, hence the "anytime awards". As with everything else in life, I am sure that most everyone will eventually get used to the changes and still realize that Marriott's program is once again the better choice.

Tino May 7, 2001 7:28 pm

"Best program out there"

I'm trying to figure out how charging $35 to expedite an award under two weeks away and then charging $30+$35 for any changes to that award is a good thing.

Example:
Make a three night reservation at a property a couple of weeks away. They mail the certificate ($35). You realize that two nights is all you can get away for. Return the 3-night award ($30), and get a new 2-night award ($35), or forfeit the extra points.

You've now spent $100 in fees to claim your own points.

Hyatt cost = $0
Starwood cost = $0
Hilton cost = $0

If they are trying to sabotage their best customers, they are doing a great job.

[This message has been edited by Tino (edited 05-07-2001).]

BobLinderman May 7, 2001 8:37 pm

Take our money away from us...take our points away from us...now give Priceline.com customers a clear advantage in prices.

Take a good look at this article and remember how much money you are paying to stay at Marriott Hotels and Resorts...right next to the guy who got his room for 80% off (but he does not receive Marriott Rewards points or miles :-O).

I suppose we should be checking Priceline before making all Marriott reservations from this point forward.
http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/010507/n08386140.html