FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   BIG CHANGES FOR MARRIOT REWARDS! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/136825-big-changes-marriot-rewards.html)

DOC 2 BE Apr 26, 2001 8:18 pm

Originally posted by msb:
BobLinderman, you replied to my post:

To answer your question about "buying" points...The answer is "YES."
Marriott still maintains the ability to purchase points for $10 per 1,000 points up to 10% of your account balance. Therefore, just multiply your current balance by .20 to see the maximum amount of points you may purchase to increase your balance to the
amount you need for the award.

If you could clarify one thing - is it 10% of my BALANCE that I can purchase or 10% of the required award amount? And shouldn't I multiply by .10 instead of .20 ? (I could be missing something here.) Thanks.

Mark

I authored a post about this awhile back after talking to a CSR. You could do a point purhcase option only if you do not have enuf points for the award and you are within at most 10% of the points needed for the award, not 10% of your balance.

However, with the changes, I would take nothing for granted and I would just contact them to find out.

DOC 2 BE Apr 26, 2001 8:20 pm

Originally posted by msb:
BobLinderman, you replied to my post:

To answer your question about "buying" points...The answer is "YES."
Marriott still maintains the ability to purchase points for $10 per 1,000 points up to 10% of your account balance. Therefore, just multiply your current balance by .20 to see the maximum amount of points you may purchase to increase your balance to the
amount you need for the award.

If you could clarify one thing - is it 10% of my BALANCE that I can purchase or 10% of the required award amount? And shouldn't I multiply by .10 instead of .20 ? (I could be missing something here.) Thanks.

Mark

I authored a post about this awhile back after talking to a CSR. You could do a point purhcase option only if you do not have enuf points for the award and you are within at most 10% of the points needed for the award, not 10% of your balance.

However, with the changes, I would take nothing for granted and I would just contact them to find out.

BobLinderman Apr 26, 2001 9:05 pm

msb...

I stand corrected with my typo...Doc2Be's got is correct.

Thanks for the clarification Doc...I stand in the same situation.

Also, I noticed in the official rules & regs that you have to call Marriott Rewards and request a special form to be filled out and sent in to have the ability to purchase these points. Evidently, you cannot just call them, give them your credit card and purchase the points over the phone in one easy step.

msb Apr 27, 2001 5:48 am

So they even make buying points difficult...

msb Apr 27, 2001 6:00 am

Advice would be appreciated -

As I said earlier, I don't have enough for the 713 - only have 167K pts. So I need 13K points in the bank PLUS this form filled out, submitted and transferred into my account BEFORE I can redeem for the 713.

Not sure if this is possible in 90 days - though I can try. I figure with my stay in Sydney in a couple of weeks, along with special bonuses, Visa, etc. I could pick up
about 10K. I could then transfer 3K from AMEX Membership Miles. Only then can I request the 20K I need. Then who knows how long it will take to post.

Do you think I can get this all done by 7/31?

Or should I just cash in on the 712 (1 ticket/5 night) award?

doc Apr 27, 2001 7:05 am

Marriott has introduced its "Stay Anytime" rewards in an attempt to react to Starwood! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Marriott now allows you to break the blackout dates and capacity controls imposed on standard Marriott Rewards when you pay a 50 percent points premium. One interesting twist: Marriott will allow travelers to mix-and-match standard and Stay Anytime awards on a day-by-day basis when reserving a free hotel stay.

baglady Apr 27, 2001 10:27 am

MSB,

Not sure your status with Marriott, but assume you are Platinum, you need to spend $1000 in the next few weeks to get your 13,000 points. If you have your 2 weekend stays, that nets to 5,000 bonus points, so then you would just need 8,000 other points (or about $620 spent in revenue).

I purchased points a couple of weeks ago and it was in my account the same day and they issued me the award the same day (I paid the $35.00 express fee).

You can call customer service, they fax you a form to sign if it is over $50.00 (their procedure) for credit card info, then you fax back and the points are in your account. While it could be a bit easier, I was pleased with their speed in handling it. I hope this helps!

baglady Apr 27, 2001 10:32 am

Delete - duplicate message.

[This message has been edited by baglady (edited 04-28-2001).]

Tino Apr 27, 2001 10:45 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by flyerwife:
Tino,
the New Orleans Marriott you spoke of in a previous post is sold out the evening of May 5.

I see availability right now at the property, but it may be due to having Platinum status.

Will Hilton or Starwood really allow you to change properties after reserving an award and guarantee that your newly desired location is available?

Scenario: you book a room in the suburbs, then decide you want to stay downtown. With any other program, you can just call them and switch properties (subj. to availability). They instantly redeposit points and issue a new award. No can do at Marriott.

Doesn't any traveler with last minute change of plans incur inconvenience and possible expense (as every airline charges ~$100 for changes)?

Absolutely not! This 200-night a year road warrior has a schedule that only allows for last minute trips. Southwest: $0 for award changes. Hyatt: $0 for award changes. Starwood: $0 for award changes. etc. Is a $35 fee to redeem 7,000 points for a Fairfield fair?

The package deal I believe you are speaking of does not, in fact, tie you to air/hotel purchases and you make those reservations on your own, having secured airline miles for the trip and reserved flights independent of Marriott.

Yes it does. You can't just switch between package award and room award on the fly, due to the 19th century certificate technology.

As a Plat elite member, as I am as well, your upgrades are essentially a non-issue

Huh? How can you guarantee a suite upgrade at Marriott without an additional award certificate mailed to you? I'm very intrigued. Hyatt will let you do it on the same day - just takes a phone call.

and as inconvenient as the removal of the old award chart is, certainly your handbook gives that information.

I made the mistake of trusting Marriott to keep the current (and still valid) award chart on their website. Plus, the last full award chart was mailed in -1998-.

I would think you would possibly (?) welcome an opportunity to use a reward, even at a larger point premium, for the last minute changes you may encounter

I would, but as I've mentioned now a dozen times, MARRIOTT DOES NOT ALLOW LAST MINUTE AWARDS like Hyatt, Starwood, etc. Are we talking about the same program?

You yourself posted only a week ago on this board about the devaluation of the Hilton and Hyatt awards, and you praised Marriott for it's many property locations.

Yep, and now they are all the same. Adios, brand loyalty.

Something has kept you loyal to Marriott over the years, in your case it does not seem to be award redemption since you have not used many

I was hoping that Marriott would enter the 21 century like the other programs and allow electronic awards so that I could use them. I was grossly wrong.

Tino Apr 27, 2001 10:47 am

dupe

[This message has been edited by Tino (edited 04-29-2001).]

Tino Apr 27, 2001 10:47 am

another dupe

Tino Apr 27, 2001 10:50 am

yet another dupe.

Tino Apr 27, 2001 10:58 am

yikes! here's another dupe

Tino Apr 27, 2001 11:01 am

sorry 'bout that

baglady Apr 27, 2001 11:35 am

delete - duplicate message - looks like there were some problems with this board yesterday!

[This message has been edited by baglady (edited 04-28-2001).]