FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   BIG CHANGES FOR MARRIOT REWARDS! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/136825-big-changes-marriot-rewards.html)

cy-gone Apr 24, 2001 9:26 am

BIG CHANGES FOR MARRIOT REWARDS!

No more 713 714 etc. Check out Marriotts web sites new reward structure! The changes are not for the better. Almost all rewards now require more points. See link http://www.marriottrewards.com/

flyerwife Apr 24, 2001 9:32 am

Not only more points for the most part, but no longer will you get the 60,000 x 2 as before unless you are willing to go the premium for it.
Called Marriott today to ask a question and agent said they have understood the best benefit (?) of it to be the ability to book travel on a reward by using the 50% premium points so that as long as a hotel has a room available you will be able to use a reward. (Albeit a greater point reward!!!)
We do have until July 31 to order any old certs, including weekend stays, etc. and those will subsequently be good for a year.
Certainly see the potential for lots of confusion here.

BobLinderman Apr 24, 2001 1:03 pm

They can place all of the sugar coating on this that they want...this new program certainly removes tremendous value from the old program. If this is Marriott's idea of saving money at the expense of their best customers, it will definitely hurt them in the long run. Marriott must remember that their best customers ALL know the value of their points before and after. These are the wrong people to go out and pull the wool over the eyes...especially in an upcoming recession where gasoline prices and energy prices will cause people to travel less and budget more.

Marriott's plan goes against all forms of conventional wisdom...and they will most likely pay for it in more ways than one.

pjs Apr 24, 2001 1:39 pm

The 5 night stay that I booked at the Sydney Renaissance for August would now cost 110k points instead of 75k. That's almost 50% more!

I have several award stays booked for later this year and early next year. I'm glad I got them booked before these changes take effect. Also, I'm sure there will be a rush to order certs by 7/31 under the old award levels.

silverpie Apr 24, 2001 1:48 pm

I do notice some new rewards that may have value to some--Southwest credits are now available as a reward, as are 25k and 50k blocks of miles, and guest room stays at Vacation Club (used to, you had to go for a villa).

And a points decrease on at least one award--most Courtyards appear to be Category 2, which means the one-night reward there is down from 11,000 to 10,000, and it's now valid 7 nights a week (weekends only before, as I recall). Not to mention all categories have any number of nights from one to seven available now, and all valid regardless of the night of the week.

So it is not accurate to state that all the changes are bad.

Racquetball Apr 24, 2001 1:50 pm

There's going to be consensus on this one. This is about the worst news possible. Could one of you (possibly pjs as shown above) help me find where it's stated that we have until 7/31/01 to redeem for certificates under the old program?

It would make me feel a little less dumb (for not having redeemed already) if I knew I could still use that better award schedule, even if only for a little while longer.

Thanks,

TravelDave

bagold Apr 24, 2001 1:55 pm

All I have to say is that I really miss the 200k and 425k awards!!! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

I wonder if they are going to reduce the hotel award capacity so they will force us to use the 50% extra awards!

msrohud Apr 24, 2001 2:12 pm

Originally posted by bagold:
All I have to say is that I really miss the 200k and 425k awards!!! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

I wonder if they are going to reduce the hotel award capacity so they will force us to use the 50% extra awards!

That was my first thought too (suspicious mind, I guess). Doing my own calculation on a trip I'm taking next week (Rome), I would have used 250,000 points vs 200,00 points. That calculates to a 20% increase.

PG Apr 24, 2001 2:22 pm

Originally posted by silverpie:
So it is not accurate to state that all the changes are bad.
While all changes may not be bad, in my opinion the net effect of the changes seem to be a big negative.

msrohud Apr 24, 2001 2:22 pm

Out of curiousity, other than the loss of the car in the "ol' 713", when did Marriott significantly change their Rewards program last? Thanks.

Tino Apr 24, 2001 3:08 pm

Time to sound off.

Marriott has not only massively devalued its point program (like Hyatt, Hilton and the others have recently), but still maintains the most inflexible award program for award redemption, because of their ridiculous "certificate" system, which requires planning weeks out - no last-minute trips allowed!

I don't see how anyone can find "increased value and flexibility" in the changes that were just made. What marketing schmuck writes this material?

1. Whereas Marriott points were always valued in the 0.8 - 1.0 cent range previously, the inclusion of airline awards values them at about 0.4 cents. More options = less value.

2. Marriott gift certificate awards range from 0.3 to 0.5 cents. More options = less value.

3. The Terms and Conditions mentions that the old Award Chart can be used for a few more months, but it is not made available on the web site. Lousy.

4. Car rewards: 3 weekend days in a rental car (value = under $100 anywhere) for 30,000 points? More options = less value.

5-15. The other classes of merchandise awards are just as devalued.

16. For those of you who want to find out what hotels are in each category, the web site requires 50 manual searches, one for each state. Not as bad as Hilton, which requires 250 searches to do the same thing.

17. The "50% additional" points for "Anytime" awards is unfortunately the way the entire industry is going, and gives them an excuse to effectively devalue the awards another 50%. I'm willing to bet that there will be properties (just like airline flights) that have ZERO availability at the lower point levels and that REQUIRE the more expensive award.

More ranting later - I need a break.

Goober2 Apr 24, 2001 3:16 pm

Originally posted by TravelDave:
Could one of you help me find where it's stated that we have until 7/31/01 to redeem for certificates under the old program?
"Rewards offered in the Rewards Update 2000 are available for order until July 31, 2001. They can be redeemed for 12 months following issue." That quote appears in the Validity section of the revised Terms and Conditions.

The 713, 714 and other familiar awards are detailed in the "Rewards Update 2000 booklet."

GG Apr 24, 2001 3:29 pm

"I don't see how anyone can find "increased value and flexibility" in the changes that were just made. What marketing schmuck writes this material?"

One on loan from Delta, probably. Didn't we all request these changes? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rolleyes.gif

There are a few "fig leaves" that Marriott can point to and say, See, we've lowered the points needed for THAT, so don't complain" but by and large, it's not too nice.

And yet another "improvement" to the website that makes it much more hassle to find the information you want.

Goober2 Apr 24, 2001 3:32 pm

Originally posted by Tino:
For those of you who want to find out what hotels are in each category, the web site requires 50 manual searches, one for each state. Not as bad as Hilton, which requires 250 searches to do the same thing.

No question that the changes are bad. But finding which hotels are in which category is not quite as tough as you suggest.

With the new "Rewards Category" grid in front of you, merely click on one of the numbered (1 through 7) links on the left side of the grid. Clicking on "7", for example, brings up all 10 category 7 hotels in London, Paris, New York, Boston, San Francisco and Scottsdale. Clicking on the "6", brings up approximately 50 hotels around the world, including most of the major resorts.

You can get to the grid (also, variously called the "Marriott Hotel Rewards" page) from several locations, including the Terms and Conditions page and the Hotel Rewards page.

msb Apr 24, 2001 4:37 pm

Do I need to have a reservation or know my destination hotel BEFORE I order my cert., or can I decide later?