Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Marriot Rewards?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2001, 3:37 pm
msb

Well, with all this talk about the award changing, I think it's time for me to cash in on the 712 (1-ticket) award. Last year, the general consensus was that they wouldn't change. But it seems as though we've heard it from the horses mouth (unless this is a Marriott conspiracy to get us all to cash in ). In any event, with my upcoming trip to OZ (including Visa signup bonus, 2 stay bonus...), I'll still be only at 173K, still 7K short of being able to buy the 20% shortfall. But then it wouldn't be a "free" ticket, just a discounted ticket, right?

I've read in another thread that you can (currently) extend your hotel certificate another year for $30. Is this true, because I'm not sure I'll use the 5-day certificate within a year.

Comments appreciated,

Mark
Old Mar 19, 2001, 3:38 pm
msb

Well, with all this talk about the award changing, I think it's time for me to cash in on the 712 (1-ticket) award. Last year, the general consensus was that they wouldn't change. But it seems as though we've heard it from the horses mouth (unless this is a Marriott conspiracy to get us all to cash in ). In any event, with my upcoming trip to OZ (including Visa signup bonus, 2 stay bonus...), I'll still be only at 173K, still 7K short of being able to buy the 20% shortfall. But then it wouldn't be a "free" ticket, just a discounted ticket, right?

I've read in another thread that you can (currently) extend your hotel certificate another year for $30. Is this true, because I'm not sure I'll use the 5-day certificate within a year.

Comments appreciated,

Mark
Old Mar 20, 2001, 7:19 am
msb

Sorry for all the duplicates. Had a bit of a problem with FlyerTalk last night (Submit, No Reply, Try again, No Reply...)
Old Mar 20, 2001, 7:34 am

OK, OK, OK, OK, Mark, we understand your question! Just kidding.

I applaud your tentative decision to go ahead and get the 712. Yes, you can extend the award, if you aren't ready to use it before it would expire. Better yet, you can redeposit the award and get your points back for $30, purchase the extra points and get a 713, if you get that extra 7K before the point structure changes.

Old Mar 20, 2001, 8:09 am

Be careful...I've heard rumblings about Marriott doing away with any extensions along with the point increases....you've been warned...
Old Mar 20, 2001, 11:13 am

Wow, have philosophies changed lately. When I went to business school, I was always told you should avoid at all costs saying the word "no" to a customer. Today it seems like the travel industry has made a science out of it.

My good friends out there in FlyerTalkLand...imagine if these companies really needed our business. I hope during this upcoming economic down period or even recession, the vacancy rates at the major hotel chains do not go below the break even point. Today, these chains are experiencing record occupancy. As we all know, planes are leaving the gates full...That all changes when the economy changes.

There will be a point in time when these companies all need us and our business. It is going to be very difficult for them to come back to us after they keep taking things away from us.

Once again, if you or I ran our business this way, we would be in the unemployment line...and bankrupt. The next time a travel industry employee is rude to you or a frequent traveler program wants to take something away from you, we should remind them of this fact.
Old Mar 20, 2001, 12:09 pm
msb

Couldn't agree with you more, Bob. The industry has forgotten for whom their there to serve. And there is NO sense of personal responsibility on the part of their employees. I think that the BEST thing that could happen is for ALL those potential airline strikes to occur. American business will discover how much can really be accomplished via teleconference and videoconference. When we have travel restrictions due to budget controls, we manage to keep on performing our jobs. It's time the airlines and hotels got with the program!
Old Mar 27, 2001, 1:29 pm

Last week I spoke about how the hotels are going to have to weather the upcoming economic slowdown. Also, I stated now is not the best time to commence a policy of taking things away from your best customers...Well, ladies and gentlemen, read a front page story from today's USA Today print newspaper...in fact, here is the link from their web site:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/near.htm
Old Mar 28, 2001, 2:04 am

Bob: Interesting article, but the link must be one that changes because it's not a travel related topic.

Did you mean this article? http://www.usatoday.com/life/travel/...eap-sleeps.htm

Business travelers sleep cheap as firms cut costs

By Salina Khan, USA TODAY

More business travelers are sleeping in less-expensive hotels as a weak economy forces employers to cut expenses.

A survey last month found 43% of companies have reduced hotel spending in the past four months, according to the National Business Travel Association.

"We find companies are slowly recognizing that hotel extravagance doesn't make sense when you're laying people off and profits are declining," says Rolfe Shellenberger, senior travel consultant at Runzheimer International.

[This message has been edited by LIH Prem (edited 03-28-2001).]
Old Mar 28, 2001, 7:42 am

Thank you very much for the correction LIH...It is really an appropriate article for this topic. I sincerely hope Marriott takes it into consideration before they start monkeying with a program that has worked for 17 years. The 200k and 425k awards are the best part of the program and to do what they are planning to do with such short notice, and with the economy doing what it is doing...could certainly give them problems with their customers down the road.

Thank you again for your post...I hope a lot of Marriott Rewards members link to it and read it.
Old Mar 28, 2001, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Count me as another currently-satisfied Marriott mid-tier (gold fka black) member. I would be disappointed if the changes Marriott implements greatly devalue the perks or the redemption chart awards preferred by the elites. The inclusion of all stays (not just mainline) has already diluted the elite tiers somewhat. At least we don't have everyone getting comped status like over at Hilton.

Any loss of gold or platinum benefits would make it difficult to justify the higher price of Marriott hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.