Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Marriot Rewards?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2001, 4:15 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I agree with Bob - I have to say, with deep regret, that as a PLT member I feel as if lately Marriott has started to take my business for granted.

I really do feel that Marriott could and should do more for PLT members (all Elites for that matter).

Am I the only PLT that feels this way?
Old Mar 13, 2001, 9:57 pm

Originally posted by freeupgrade:
Attention: Marriott Rewards (Whoever Will be Changing The System):

As a PLT member for the last 2 years (who EARNED it the hard way, may I respectfully suggest that Marriott be planning more perks for PLT elite members (i.e. no capacity controls re: award use, dedicated phone res., electronic award redemption).
As a group (and I speak to several every week), we really feel taken for granted lately.

The only thing they will accomplish by raising point levels for awards is to literally drive my 80 nights per year over to Starwood.
Hear Hear - as another PLT who gets it the hard way I agree 100%. Maybe you should lead a lobby group
Old Mar 13, 2001, 9:57 pm

[Deleting duplicate posting with apologies]

[This message has been edited by SimonC (edited 03-14-2001).]
Old Mar 14, 2001, 7:01 pm
Original Member

Messing around with the elite/awards structure is in no way restricted to the airlines.

Just a few years ago, Marriott offrered this:
Marriott Rweards Member: 10% bonus
Airline Partner: 25% bonus
Car Rental Partner: 20% bonus.

Add it up. Even as a a Gold (bacdk then, lowest elite) you got 155% on your stays. Comapre that to now...as a Platinum, you get just 130% bonus. Worse for Silver and Gold. Plus, Marriott regularly had double points promotions. No selected properties, if you stayed during that period, you got double points.

No more.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 9:44 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
H -

They used to give you points for the value of the taxes! And for cash advances. Those were the days.

FF
Old Mar 14, 2001, 10:58 pm

Location: Seattle, WA Million Mile 1k, Lifetime Platinum Marriott, etc.,etc.
Freeupgrade I think you are right on the money. There is nothing behind the PLT level anymore. I can't remember the last time that I was upgraded to a suite, usually the Platinum gift never arrives, etc.etc. I'm currently at the La Jolla Marriott, nice enough, at $199/night! No morning paper, no upgrade, had to ask for the concierge access and no PLT gift. Unfortunately, I've had this same experience too often lately.

Have you noticed that Marriott has not forgotten or neglected to raise their rates? Their prices on the West coast are through the roof. And at a lot of old, dumpy hotels.

Old Mar 14, 2001, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I was beginning to feel like I was the only platinum Marriott was neglecting; now I know I'm not alone. I'm at the Marriott Orlando Airport and it's my third Marriott in a week - no welcome gift at any of my stays. I agree - they are taking us for granted. I'll have another 200,000 points to get my 713 reward by the end of this stay and I am seriously considering jumping ship to Starwood. What is going on with Marriott? Things used to be so good.
Old Mar 15, 2001, 1:05 am

New TUG thread, more info:
http://www.tug1.net/tugbbs1/Forum1/HTML/000503.html
Old Mar 15, 2001, 12:27 pm
Original Member

Jumping from Marriott to Starwood because of the point program? You've got to be kidding. Dollar for dollar, Starwood awards are at least TWICE as expensive as Marriott's.

That is a huge premium to pay for no capacity controls.
Old Mar 17, 2001, 10:35 am

I just hit 200k on Thursday and cashed in a 713 award (including 120k AA miles for Europe). I didn't want to take a chance on changes to this award.

When I mentioned the rumored changes, the rep confirmed that they expect changes soon. He thought the changes would go into effect in mid-May, but that nothing was certain. He also thought that 713 would cost different amounts depending upon the destination.
Old Mar 17, 2001, 11:11 am
msb

Any mention of the 712 award changing? I'm at 156K points, working my way to 200K. By May I should be at 171K - still shy of 180K (assuming I could buy 20K). But maybe I should cash in on the 712 award?
Old Mar 19, 2001, 8:59 am

I haven't seen any comment on the #712 award. If Marriott changes #713 to vary by destination as suggested by the rep I spoke with, I would think #712 would change as well. It includes the miles for one ticket "anywhere on the system" instead of two for #713 or four for #714. It seems logical that all three would change together.
Old Mar 19, 2001, 3:35 pm
msb

Well, with all this talk about the award changing, I think it's time for me to cash in on the 712 (1-ticket) award. Last year, the general consensus was that they wouldn't change. But it seems as though we've heard it from the horses mouth (unless this is a Marriott conspiracy to get us all to cash in ). In any event, with my upcoming trip to OZ (including Visa signup bonus, 2 stay bonus...), I'll still be only at 173K, still 7K short of being able to buy the 20% shortfall. But then it wouldn't be a "free" ticket, just a discounted ticket, right?

I've read in another thread that you can (currently) extend your hotel certificate another year for $30. Is this true, because I'm not sure I'll use the 5-day certificate within a year.

Comments appreciated,

Mark
Old Mar 19, 2001, 3:36 pm
msb

Well, with all this talk about the award changing, I think it's time for me to cash in on the 712 (1-ticket) award. Last year, the general consensus was that they wouldn't change. But it seems as though we've heard it from the horses mouth (unless this is a Marriott conspiracy to get us all to cash in ). In any event, with my upcoming trip to OZ (including Visa signup bonus, 2 stay bonus...), I'll still be only at 173K, still 7K short of being able to buy the 20% shortfall. But then it wouldn't be a "free" ticket, just a discounted ticket, right?

I've read in another thread that you can (currently) extend your hotel certificate another year for $30. Is this true, because I'm not sure I'll use the 5-day certificate within a year.

Comments appreciated,

Mark
Old Mar 19, 2001, 3:37 pm
msb

Comments appreciated,

Mark

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.