Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Stanford Court Repairs San Francisco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2000, 5:52 am
Original Poster

I'd like to stay at this hotel in Jan. It just does not seem that it would be the run of the mill Marriott. In some of the pics I've seen it looks like extensive construction is going on outside this hotel. Anyone been there and know about this? Is it a better choice than the other Marriott properties in SF? Nicer than the W hotel or the St. Francis in town?
Old Nov 30, 2000, 6:30 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
It is, for me, by far the nicest one (out of those you mention). I stayed there last time in spring 1999.

Beside the (old European luxury hotel) appearance and the location just beyond the 'Top of the Mark', I do appreciate the morning coffee/chocolate/tea service to my room and I like very much also the 'F..-oven' well-reputated Restaurant (I think I just read at SFO that the will open a 'dependence' of this Restaurant in the new SFO-International terminal?
Old Nov 30, 2000, 2:53 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
I just stayed there last week... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/001367.html

Best hotel on your list, by far. It sits right on the Cable Car lines (California/Van Ness and Powell/Hyde/Mason,) so it is VERY easy to get around the city. (You can by a Muni Passport in the gift shop that will get you unlimited transportation on Cable Cars, Muni, and Buses. It was $15 for 7 days!)

The rooms are nicely appointed, and even have a television and towel-warmers in the bathrooms. A morning beverage comes with your wake-up call, and you can get a complimentary shoe-shine nightly (just hang your shoes in the bag overnight.)

The construction was no big deal to me, or my wife.

Email me if you have more specific questions.

BTW, look for VS flight crews. You can tell them by their long red coats.

------------------
Bob
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.
Old Dec 5, 2000, 12:11 am

As a native San Franciscan, I, too would recommend the Stanford Court. It's friendly and cozy, unlike the 1200-room St Francis or the too-cool-for-you W hotel. I've heard the W restaurant, XYZ, suffers from that terminal attitude problem so many SF restaurants have these days. One word of warning: The Stanford Court is on a hill, no matter which way you approach. If you have any trouble walking, or are a jogger, you may find it rough going. There is a wonderful new French/Continental restaurant located a couple of blocks away in the former Vanessi's location, California and Jones. And if you see a 40ish type walking a basset hound in Huntington Park, say hello. It just might be me. Enjoy
Paul
Old Dec 6, 2000, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Great reference! That wonderful restaurant (still with the Gramercy's Frette tablecloths and napkins - the new owners bought the place lock, stock, and barrel) is called le Bistrot. Ask for George; he's the GM. It is an excellent restaurant, and except for the review in the paper a couple of weeks ago, was relatively undiscovered!

I'll have to give Fournou's Oven a try too.
Old Dec 7, 2000, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Just a quick comment about F's Ovens. We stayed at the Stanford Court about a year ago and had a fantastic breakfast there. On the basis of that meal, we went back for dinner about 2 months later. BIG disappointment. I don't know if the chef was off that night, but I could not recommend the restaurant for dinner on the basis of that meal. Many better choices for the $$$$, IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.