Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
haven't you found that the Rms Mgr has gone thru the incoming plats/golds and already upgraded them before arrival?????????
I _always_ got upgraded before arriving (I checked my reservation a few hours before checking in and it was always changed to an upgraded room/suite). I never ever had to ask for an upgrade (and that's US travel only). Just had to ask for breakfast vouchers at the weekend sometimes.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
in order to make sure i remain Platinum even though i dont plan to hit the 75 night minimum this year, i wanted to find out more about the meeting/conference setup where you get 10 nights credit.. can someone briefly explain to me how that works? Are there certain properties where you need to book the meeting, can you literally just set yourself in the conference room for a couple of hours, make some phone calls and be done with it? do you even need to show up? cost, etc? Is there a good thread about this that someone could direct me to? I plan to have about 30-40 nights of actual stays this yr, + 15 for the CC-- so am looking to book 2 or 3 'meetings' in order to reach the 75 nights.. Thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by GoSaints
in order to make sure i remain Platinum even though i dont plan to hit the 75 night minimum this year, i wanted to find out more about the meeting/conference setup where you get 10 nights credit.. can someone briefly explain to me how that works? Are there certain properties where you need to book the meeting, can you literally just set yourself in the conference room for a couple of hours, make some phone calls and be done with it? do you even need to show up? cost, etc? Is there a good thread about this that someone could direct me to? I plan to have about 30-40 nights of actual stays this yr, + 15 for the CC-- so am looking to book 2 or 3 'meetings' in order to reach the 75 nights.. Thanks.
I believe you're looking for this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-required.html
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by plagwate

I believe you're looking for this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-required.html

Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond / Marriott - Platinum / SPG - Platinum / Priority Club - Platinum
Received plat renewal / new card last week. Anyone know if there's a chance that PLat Prem may still be forth coming?

Really thought I'd attain this yr with the STUPID number of nights I've had:

2012 - 464 nights (335 Actual / 129 Bonus)

759 lifetime nights - 90% since 2010

Last edited by d20513; Jan 8, 2013 at 8:32 am Reason: Wrong year stated
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Ok thanks. Do you have to have any history (stays) at Marriot or have X stays booked already?
Hi,

I do not know if it is important, probably others can help better.

I did have some history but nothing espectacular.

IIRC when I contacted MR I had a couple of stays booked.

Good luck!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by d20513
Received plat renewal / new card last week. Anyone know if there's a chance that PLat Prem may still be forth coming?

Really thought I'd attain this yr with the STUPID number of nights I've had:

2012 - 464 nights (335 Actual / 129 Bonus)

759 lifetime nights - 90% since 2010
As you may have read, PP is a bit of a mystery. By most accounts, here are two criteria, but there are most likely others. PP is awarded to the top 2-3% of Marriott revenue generators, and it is not based on any one year, it is a 2 or 3 or more, multiple year picture. The reason they do not base it on only one year, is they do not want to give PP to anyone who is a "one year wonder," so to speak. For example, they do not know whether you will ever have another year such as your 2012, or whether 2013 will only be 9 actual nights, plus all the rollover. Make sense?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond / Marriott - Platinum / SPG - Platinum / Priority Club - Platinum
Originally Posted by USirritated
As you may have read, PP is a bit of a mystery. By most accounts, here are two criteria, but there are most likely others. PP is awarded to the top 2-3% of Marriott revenue generators, and it is not based on any one year, it is a 2 or 3 or more, multiple year picture. The reason they do not base it on only one year, is they do not want to give PP to anyone who is a "one year wonder," so to speak. For example, they do not know whether you will ever have another year such as your 2012, or whether 2013 will only be 9 actual nights, plus all the rollover. Make sense?
Get it, and understand the 2/3%, thing. That's why I added the facts about stays being from last 3 years.. Also coupled with reservations that are currently booked for 2013, I'd think the mystery may not be So mysterious for someone lke me..

Really just wondering if, since I've received the Plat renewal, there's any chance of still being welcomed into the "Mystery" for 2013

Thanks for the response though.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Originally Posted by gibraltar87
BKKLEE-

As you live in Asia, I will not challenge or argue your point. However, I travel to asia as well and recently at the JW Seoul, I was told that I was "ugraded to the executive floor with a river view" I was tired from a long flight and an hour plus ride to the hotel--so I didnt protest.

When I got to my room, I was in fact upgraded to the exec floor but there was no river view. I guess they thought I would'nt bother to look. I called and after expressing my displeasure ( mostly annoyed at being lied to) ---voila! a 1br suite was magically located.
I live in Asia too, and it's not all its cracked up to be. I've gotten upgraded exactly one time to a suite on over 170 nights this year, and it was in China and due to my reserved room being booked already to someone else. My companions got downgraded to another room (the alternative was to find other accomodation) while I was grudingly upgraded to a junior suite.

Exemplary service with a smile? Absolutely.
Superior spreads for lounge? Definitely.
More upgrades? Not at all.

...and yes, I always ask for an upgrade at check-in, with a smile while gently reminding them of my status (or flashing the plat membership card).

Last edited by 2tall4economy; Jan 8, 2013 at 12:43 pm
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Originally Posted by CPRich
It's just a momento/tchotchke - but still a representation of the brand. Since some regular customers are talking about it, I guess it does mean a little bit.

No, I don't carry them in my wallet, but I also don't through them away. They go in my collection
Reminds me of the pic I took of the 40 CCs I accumulated when pushing for 1m AA miles in 6 months
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamo
Sorry if it's been mentioned already .... did anyone else notice the lifetime requirements on the package? I only skimmed it, but it looks like you need ~750 nights for lifetime platinum and I recall it didn't mention a "membership years" requirement.

Can someone confirm or am I not seeing clearly.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by xtremeski2001
Sorry if it's been mentioned already .... did anyone else notice the lifetime requirements on the package? I only skimmed it, but it looks like you need ~750 nights for lifetime platinum and I recall it didn't mention a "membership years" requirement.

Can someone confirm or am I not seeing clearly.
This requirement has been dropped.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamo
Originally Posted by d20513
This requirement has been dropped.
Wow! Can anyone post the nights/points earned for lifetime silver, gold, and plat? I'm pretty sure I've earned lifetime Silver and maybe even Gold. Would Marriott send me something?

Answered part of my question myself:

Achievement Criteria:
Lifetime Platinum Elite: 750 nights* + 2 million points
Lifetime Gold Elite: 500 nights* + 1.6 million points
Lifetime Silver Elite: 250 nights* + 1.2 million points

*All qualified nights count toward Lifetime status. That means paid nights, rollover nights, meeting nights and credit card nights.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by xtremeski2001
Wow! Can anyone post the nights/points earned for lifetime silver, gold, and plat? I'm pretty sure I've earned lifetime Silver and maybe even Gold. Would Marriott send me something?

Answered part of my question myself:

Achievement Criteria:
Lifetime Platinum Elite: 750 nights* + 2 million points
Lifetime Gold Elite: 500 nights* + 1.6 million points
Lifetime Silver Elite: 250 nights* + 1.2 million points

*All qualified nights count toward Lifetime status. That means paid nights, rollover nights, meeting nights and credit card nights.
To think, you found that information on your own, by doing a search, MAZEL TOV!

I was just about to send you a link to that very page of that very thread, and also to suggest that you do some basic research before asking questions which have been asked and answered......ad nauseum!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-including-ritz-carlton/785268-lifetime-marriott-rewards-elite-status-62.html
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I think I got the best deal. After draconian travel cuts at work last year I was down to 19 nights in 2012. Needless to say but I was very surprised to get my PLT card today. They've earned my loyalty for another year.
19 BIB (butt in bed) nights or 19 total nights?

I was renewed as plat in spite of:
4 BIB nights
1 promotional night
22 credit card nights (including the annual 15)
Total: 27 nights

I'm shooting for the lowest number of 2012 BIB nights for renewal.

Of course I was PP two years ago and fell to Plat last year; now a LT gold. I assume that they gave me Plat due to a 3 year lookback - I've been pursuing top status with Hyatt and SPG this year. I'm contemplating making sure that I've got at least 1,950,000 LT MR points by the end of this year so I can just buy 50,000 MR points at the beginning of next year and lock in LT Plat.

Originally Posted by USirritated
To think, you found that information on your own, by doing a search, MAZEL TOV!

I was just about to send you a link to that very page of that very thread, and also to suggest that you do some basic research before asking questions which have been asked and answered......ad nauseum!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-including-ritz-carlton/785268-lifetime-marriott-rewards-elite-status-62.html
USIrritated, you're starting to post in a softer tone. All's right with the world - now I need to start doing the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.