Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: HHonors (Diamond), Marriott (Gold), United (Gold - MM), American (Platinum), National (Executive)
Can't find the answer to this question.

I will finish my 9 stay Platinum challenge in January 2013. Does that mean I will be Platinum until March 2014 or since I made Platinum in 2013 does that mean I get it 2013 and the earned year is for 2014 until March 2015?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Hokies82
Can't find the answer to this question.

I will finish my 9 stay Platinum challenge in January 2013. Does that mean I will be Platinum until March 2014 or since I made Platinum in 2013 does that mean I get it 2013 and the earned year is for 2014 until March 2015?
Unless there are different terms as part of your challenge, status acquired in one year is good for the rest of that year, all of the next year, and thru February the year after that.

Hint: 2015.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: HHonors (Diamond), Marriott (Gold), United (Gold - MM), American (Platinum), National (Executive)
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Unless there are different terms as part of your challenge, status acquired in one year is good for the rest of that year, all of the next year, and thru February the year after that.

I was hoping this was the case but I haven't had a lot of recent experience in the Marriott world.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 9:42 am

Are the challenges retroactive? I didn't know about it earlier in the year and would have qualified. Now I'm a few nights short of maintaining Gold for next year. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by carjeff
Are the challenges retroactive? I didn't know about it earlier in the year and would have qualified. Now I'm a few nights short of maintaining Gold for next year. Any suggestions?
Not usually. If you are Gold now, you would not be allowed to challenge for Gold, Platinum yes. Also, MR is pretty good about fudging the numbers if you have been at status for a few years and are short a few nights.

IF you are dropped to Silver in March, then a challenge to Gold should work.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:18 am

Not usually. If you are Gold now, you would not be allowed to challenge for Gold, Platinum yes. Also, MR is pretty good about fudging the numbers if you have been at status for a few years and are short a few nights.

IF you are dropped to Silver in March, then a challenge to Gold should work.
I was Platinum for 2011 so would have challenged to be Platinum for 2012. I had over 30 nights Jan-April, so I believe I would have made it. Wish I had known!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carjeff
I was Platinum for 2011 so would have challenged to be Platinum for 2012. I had over 30 nights Jan-April, so I believe I would have made it. Wish I had known!
Welcome to FT. Keep reading and I'm sure you will find many other opportunities to maximize your loyalty program benefits.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon
Marriott Status match or challenge

Hi, I am a Hyatt GPP Diamond and Hilton Gold member. It looks like I will be staying T Marriott properties 15-20 days a month for several months next year. Will Marriott either status match or offer a short-term challenge? What might that look like and whom would I contact (Marriott Rewards? Someone at the hotel I will be staying at initially?)

Thanks for any information you can provide.

John H.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
there is a lenghty thread on this topic already.......

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...d-threads.html

Originally Posted by jh6000
Hi, I am a Hyatt GPP Diamond and Hilton Gold member. It looks like I will be staying T Marriott properties 15-20 days a month for several months next year. Will Marriott either status match or offer a short-term challenge? What might that look like and whom would I contact (Marriott Rewards? Someone at the hotel I will be staying at initially?)

Thanks for any information you can provide.

John H.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon
Thanks for that link
Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:42 am
soy

Programs: various
With MR, is there still a soft landing from plat to gold, or did that go away with the rollover nights?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soy
With MR, is there still a soft landing from plat to gold, or did that go away with the rollover nights?
I believe (and hoping) it still exists. I don't believe it's a published benefit, but I haven't seen anyone saying it's gone.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents
Gold challenge for SPG switch

I requested a "challenge" for accelerated status since I am currently SPG Platinum and seeking Tidemark switch to MR. MR requested my SPG statements (which showed 52 nights in 2012) and then offered me conditional Gold status through March. I have to have 6 stays in first quarter in order to keep Gold through Feb 2014. Pretty good deal. So, I'm making the switch (mostly due to better availability of hotels where I travel.)
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:26 pm

completing challange

Does this mean that if one has up to Jan 31 to complete the challenge, it is better to complete the last stay on Jan 2 rather than dec 30?

or does it mean that it is better to accept challange starting in Jan?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by desi
Does this mean that if one has up to Jan 31 to complete the challenge, it is better to complete the last stay on Jan 2 rather than dec 30?

or does it mean that it is better to accept challange starting in Jan?
If status is earned/granted Dec 30, 2012, it should hold until end of Feb, 2014. If earned/granted on Jan 2, 2013, status should be good until end of Feb, 2015. I've read some get granted status at the beginning of the challenge and some have to complete the challenge. That's where reading the terms will tell you a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.