Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is there a weekend breakfast coupon thread / sticky?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a weekend breakfast coupon thread / sticky?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Go back to what? As far as I can tell Marriott never had a policy requiring or banning breakfast for G/P domestically on weekends. It has always been up to the individual properties. The number of properties has waxed and waned over the years but unless Marriott corporate mandates it, it will never get to 100% or even close.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Go back to what? As far as I can tell Marriott never had a policy requiring or banning breakfast for G/P domestically on weekends. It has always been up to the individual properties. The number of properties has waxed and waned over the years but unless Marriott corporate mandates it, it will never get to 100% or even close.
The CL's were previously open 7 days a week prior to the downturn in the economy. In my experience, most had breakfast every day. I also frequently received breakfast vouchers in hotels and resorts prior to Marriott enforcing their 'standards'. Now it is a rare event.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Go back to what? As far as I can tell Marriott never had a policy requiring or banning breakfast for G/P domestically on weekends.
Not completely true. Before 2009, I would have said you were correct. But in 2009, Marriott asked their hotels to "NOT" keep their CL open on the weekend.

Now if you want to argue whether that was a "requirement" or not, you can do so. But I do believe most hotels chose to follow Marriot's "recommendations. And this information definitely caused quite a stir here on FT at the time.

BTW, we received this information directly from Marriott via Marriott Concierge. Check out the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11062254-post41.html post.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am aware of the history and even before 2009 hotels were not *Required* to have their lounges open 7 days a week nor offer weekend breakfast to plats and golds. As far as I know, other than the recent changes in the international markets, Marriott hotels have never had a blanket policy regarding weekend breakfasts for elites.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Armani
The CL's were previously open 7 days a week prior to the downturn in the economy.
Some were, most weren't. In fact, exactly like today, the program only required non-resort fs property lounges to be open during the week.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
I think most of us will agree that the odds of having open CL's and/or breakfast on weekends were pretty good in the past prior to Marriott's new policies. I could usually count on open CL or breakfast in most properties I stayed on weekends or on vacation, even at resorts.

However, rather than having properties up their standards to assure consistency, they took the opposite approach to assure that no hotel provided services above the 'standards'. I haven't seen an open CL or been offered any breakfast vouchers this year, including two properties that had offered them in November. Based on input from others on Marriott Insiders, many hotels were instructed to eliminate weekend breakfasts/CL.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure people aren't remembering the past with rosy glasses. I searched for breakfast and resort and found no less than 4 threads from 2007 and 2008 of people complaining about not getting breakfast at resorts and/or on weekends. I do not deny that more properties than now offered it, domestically, but I also appreciate that it is now guranteed in Europe where I tend to spend more of my leisure time.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:08 pm

I'm not sure people aren't remembering the past with rosy glasses.
I agree with ohmark. Some hotels did offer weekend breakfast, most didn't, even before 2009. But after the 2009 edict, the number that offered weekend breakfast went way down.

My earlier comment was more pointed to your assertion that "Marriott never had a policy requiring or banning breakfast for G/P domestically on weekends." In 2009 they did institute a policy against weekend breakfast. But I would agree that they have never "required" it on weekends (at least as far as I can remember).
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
In 2009 they did institute a policy against weekend breakfast.
While I have the sense that properties were at that time greatly encouraged not to provide weekend comped breakfast, I don't think the policy was mandatory. Offhand, without overly taxing my gently aging brain, I can think of at least a couple of properties that never stopped.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by ohmark
While I have the sense that properties were at that time greatly encouraged not to provide weekend comped breakfast, I don't think the policy was mandatory.
I agree it wasn't "mandatory" as I mentioned in my first post on this. But I do seem to remember that quite a few (if not a majority) of the NA hotels that did provide weekend b'fast, stopped doing so. So the request must have had a least a little authority behind it.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I do seem to remember that quite a few (if not a majority) of the NA hotels that did provide weekend b'fast, stopped doing so. So the request must have had a least a little authority behind it.
My memory is the same, and I agree that Marriott, at that time, made it clear to fs properties that weekend comped breakfasts should end causing most to discontinue. However, there was apparently some wiggle room, as some properties continued to provide the benefit.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: LTP, PP
So... Is there value to having this thread, is the info easily available in the CL sticky or would it be a determent to those properties going above and beyond here in the US? Thoughts?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They were told they could offer breakfast based on market conditions. That certainly doesn't sound like they'd be penalized so long as they could say why they offer it. Any GM worth his/her salt should be able to justify their business decision.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:47 pm

They were told they could offer breakfast based on market conditions.
And more and more are doing it.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Some properties even state that they offer weekend breakfast for elites on their home page such as Marriott Pleasanton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.