Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is there a weekend breakfast coupon thread / sticky?

Is there a weekend breakfast coupon thread / sticky?

 
Old Jan 16, 12, 11:56 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Programs: LTP, PP
Posts: 8,032
Is there a weekend breakfast coupon thread / sticky?

Would there be value in creating a list of properties that give weekend breakfast coupons to Gold/PLT's ? I know it would help me deciding where to stay. Or is it too subjective or prone to going out of date quickly? Just add it (if yes) and the last date used?

Such as:

XXXXXX Deleted by OP XXXXX

Thoughts?

Last edited by joshua362; Jan 16, 12 at 2:23 pm
joshua362 is offline  
Old Jan 16, 12, 12:13 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CLT
Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Posts: 3,441
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-weekends.html

It has the info.
iztok is offline  
Old Jan 16, 12, 1:15 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Posts: 917
In several occasions, i ve been told that it is an official MR policy to discontinue the weekend breakfast coupons. If this is true, since Marriott is monitoring these threads, i worry whether posting the hotels that still offer the coupons, will get them in trouble, ending to the termination of their offering.

Of course the Lounge is a different story..
Nikolaos is offline  
Old Jan 16, 12, 2:23 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Programs: LTP, PP
Posts: 8,032
Message received, thanks.
joshua362 is offline  
Old Jan 16, 12, 3:26 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan USA
Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Gold
Posts: 5,359
Originally Posted by Nikolaos View Post
In several occasions, i ve been told that it is an official MR policy to discontinue the weekend breakfast coupons. If this is true, since Marriott is monitoring these threads, i worry whether posting the hotels that still offer the coupons, will get them in trouble, ending to the termination of their offering.
Thorough discussion of this in other threads. A few years ago, in the depths of the economic downturn, Marriott Concierge confirmed that Marriott had urged fs properties which were providing weekend coupons to cease. Many properties stopped at that time. This edict is clearly no longer in effect, as for about the past year or so many of those properties that had stopped weekend coupons or comped breakfast, have resumed.
ohmark is offline  
Old Jan 16, 12, 7:10 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Programs: LTP, PP
Posts: 8,032
Just seems like a reasonable thing to do for your elite members who may stay a few weekends a year despite the constant M-F business travel.

Otherwise, what is the point of being PLT/PP on a weekend? Don't need the internet access, upgrades are very rare and I usually have to ask/beg to be put on the Concierge Level complete with the closed Lounge.
joshua362 is offline  
Old Jan 16, 12, 9:08 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Posts: 917
Originally Posted by joshua362 View Post
Otherwise, what is the point of being PLT/PP on a weekend?
Totally agree with you. The surprising fact is that right now the hotels that do not provide weekend coupons are found on the high end, like Marriott Denver City Center and Marriott Metro in DC.

Maybe we should start a thread with hotels that do NOT offer coupons, so they can be avoided for weekend stays. And who knows, maybe we can get them to see the problem from a slightly different angle..

The fact that they do not provide breakfast in weekends is actually the main reason i got Gold with Hilton..
Nikolaos is offline  
Old Jan 17, 12, 7:07 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CMH/CVG
Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Posts: 518
Originally Posted by ohmark View Post
Thorough discussion of this in other threads. A few years ago, in the depths of the economic downturn, Marriott Concierge confirmed that Marriott had urged fs properties which were providing weekend coupons to cease. Many properties stopped at that time. This edict is clearly no longer in effect, as for about the past year or so many of those properties that had stopped weekend coupons or comped breakfast, have resumed.
It appears that Marriott corporate is active again in trying to control hotels who have rewarded their loyal customers. Based on my recent experiences and activity reported on Marriott Insiders, many properties who had been providing vouchers on weekends have been ordered to no longer do so.
Therefore, please don't list the 'offending' hotels on this site, or corporate gestapo will know who they are.
Armani is offline  
Old Jan 17, 12, 8:37 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan USA
Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Gold
Posts: 5,359
Originally Posted by Armani View Post
It appears that Marriott corporate is active again in trying to control hotels who have rewarded their loyal customers. Based on my recent experiences and activity reported on Marriott Insiders, many properties who had been providing vouchers on weekends have been ordered to no longer do so.
Therefore, please don't list the 'offending' hotels on this site, or corporate gestapo will know who they are.
I don't believe there is any new policy or push by Marriott to eliminate weekend comped breakfasts. Instead, a few properties find it easier to explain elite unfriendliness by blaming someone else. Please name these "many" properties that have recently been "ordered" to no longer provide weekend comped breakfasts.
ohmark is offline  
Old Jan 17, 12, 10:10 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SNA
Posts: 17,791
I don't think corporate gives a flying bleep if hotels give out perq's to elites above and beyond what is required. All they care about is if the hotel makes money and provides the standard Marriott benefits.
VickiSoCal is offline  
Old Jan 17, 12, 11:13 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: New Hampshire
Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Posts: 802
I made a suggestion in the BOGO reform forum on marriottinsiders to extend the BOGO to breakfast to at least make it essentially half off for elites on the weekends...i did not get a response there, but I thought it was a good idea. Maybe if some other people write to Marriott they might implement it.
MaineFlyer16 is offline  
Old Jan 17, 12, 12:07 pm
  #12  
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,571
Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16 View Post
I made a suggestion in the BOGO reform forum on marriottinsiders to extend the BOGO to breakfast to at least make it essentially half off for elites on the weekends...i did not get a response there, but I thought it was a good idea. Maybe if some other people write to Marriott they might implement it.
I made this same suggestion about a half-off breakfast voucher about three years ago.
dayone is offline  
Old Jan 17, 12, 12:11 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum (former PP), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Posts: 3,876
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal View Post
I don't think corporate gives a flying bleep if hotels give out perq's to elites above and beyond what is required. All they care about is if the hotel makes money and provides the standard Marriott benefits.
I think that is true for the most part. I heard from a FD Manager a few months ago that there is an internal debate going on at Marriott with regards to extending free breakfast to the weekends for gold and platinum members.
VA1379 is offline  
Old Jan 17, 12, 12:50 pm
  #14  
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McKinney, TX, USA
Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 11,489
Originally Posted by VA1379 View Post
...there is an internal debate going on at Marriott with regards to extending free breakfast to the weekends for gold and platinum members.
I wouldn't doubt this. Given that Hilton already offers breakfast to its top elites every day of the week. And it looks like Starwood is about to implement the same thing for their top elites as well (starting March 1st I think.) Marriott will be trailing both of their biggest competitors in this area.

So I would think they should be looking at this pretty hard.
hhoope01 is offline  
Old Jan 17, 12, 2:51 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: TPA
Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Posts: 960
Originally Posted by VA1379 View Post
I think that is true for the most part. I heard from a FD Manager a few months ago that there is an internal debate going on at Marriott with regards to extending free breakfast to the weekends for gold and platinum members.
I wish they would go back to this. It makes a weekend stay more valuable and more likely for me. I know a property that used to give free breakfast to platinum members, but they stopped about a year ago on orders of Marriott (they say). Marriott is just standardizing the offering so they dont get 'the other property does it'.

But again, it would make me want to stay more places on weekends knowing the breakfast is covered. I was just in Las Vegas for the weekend at the Renaissance. Annoying to have to buy a simple bland muffin at the cafe when I did not want a full meal, but it was hours before I was going to have lunch.
FLgrr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: