Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ways to earn large amts. of Marriott Rewards Points? - HELP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ways to earn large amts. of Marriott Rewards Points? - HELP

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:57 pm
Used to be 'slotownmomma'
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list!
Smile Ways to earn large amts. of Marriott Rewards Points? - HELP

I am looking to accumulate a large amount (approx. 300,000-400,000) of Marriott Rewards points in the next year. I'm on the look for all the big deals I can find.
If anyone knows of BIG point deals, can you be so kind as to post them in this thread. I would really appreciate your input and I'm sure others would too.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited by milesmomma; Aug 17, 2011 at 1:10 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:06 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, AS
Let's see - a night at a Marriott Courtyard should be enough to earn more than 300 - 400 Marriott Reward Points and there's a CY right there in SLO.

Or you can check here:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/earn-points.mi#/1/
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:08 am

If Marriott elite nights (as opposed to points) are useful to you, I believe the deal described in this thread is still available: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-required.html .
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:20 am
Used to be 'slotownmomma'
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list!
I'll start off with posting this 50,000 CC deal which I'm already aware of for others who aren't
http://www.mychasecreditcards.com/ma...CELLequals67G0

There is also 70,000 deal which I have heard is targeted. No link as of now. Maybe one will come.......here's hoping!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:23 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
I would suggest that you simply read the MR section regularly - all the deals will be posted in there.

Also you can get 300-400 points easily through finding a cheap night at a Fairfield Inn.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:25 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
There are lots and lots of threads over in the actual Marriott forum with point earning ideas.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:49 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
Originally Posted by slotownmomma
I am looking to accumulate a large amount (approx. 300-400) of Marriott Rewards points in the next year. I'm on the look for all the big deals I can find.
If anyone knows of BIG point deals, can you be so kind as to post them in this thread. I would really appreciate your input and I'm sure others would too.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Do you mean 300k-400k points to use the hotel+air option???
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:53 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
There are lots and lots of threads over in the actual Marriott forum with point earning ideas.
This being where she cross-posted this thread...
Old Aug 15, 2011, 1:28 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
One suspects the OP meant 300-400 thousand?

You can get ~50k through the credit card. Marriott then has 3 megabonuses (Spring (50k), Summer (40k), Winter (50k, pay with Visa) a year that could earn you a maximum of 140k points (typically). However you need to be a gold/platinum to get these types of offers (as most members get more limited ones and only platinums can switch between offers). To get this many points though you'd also need to stay 75 nights in hotels, each maximum amount is typically related to staying for 25 nights in the period.

Staying 75 nights would tend to get you another 100k points at least including welcome bonuses, credits etc, as you can see below you might get many more

To give you an example, I'm already Marriott platinum and have 69 real nights in full service Marriotts to date this year (1st January to today) and paying an average of around $140/night excluding tax plus $30 food and beverages.

I've earned;
  • 90k from Megabonus promotions
  • 15k from credit card spend (which I don't use particularly frequently, this is in the UK and probably equates to about £10k spend, quite a bit of it directly at Marriott where you earn double points)
  • 1k from a member referral bonus, which can earn you more points if you have more friends/family that you can start pursuading to stay
  • 160k directly from spending in stays

Total Marriott related spend would be around $12k to get around 260k points... to put this in perspective.

However to achieve 300k points without spending lots of nights in a Marriott branded hotel you will really need to be spending like mad on a credit card and probably buying a time-share from Marriott too (comes with like 150k points or so annually).
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
1. Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card for 50K Ultimate Rewards points.

You can transfer your U.R. points to Marriott, though I think some might argue that this is not the best use of U.R. points.

2. If you need more Marriott points to top off for an award, you can buy up to 50K per person per year on the Marriott website.

3. Spouses can transfer points to each other to top off for an award.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 8:39 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles GM Marriott Rewards PM
Please move to Marriott Forum

@ Moderators
Please move to Marriott Forum

Spend with Marriott Credit Card
1pt/2pt/5pt per dollar depending on spending location
Stay nights
1k-3k/night
Promotions like fall Megabonus
25k-40k
Earn elite status with Meetings then stay for extra points...
Old Aug 15, 2011, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The only way to reach the Travel Package level, short of a lot of seriously suboptimal activity, is to stay at Marriott hotels.

The OP is likely going for a Travel Package, a noble goal, but not one for which I'd destroy a bunch of value through points conversions, suboptimal credit card use, or paying 2x-3x street value for a timeshare to get.

If you want a TP, you need nights in beds. Or maybe days in meeting rooms. But there aren't a lot of shortcuts or other outside bonuses beyond the CC bonus.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Alas, Marriott Rewards is not Priority Club.

While there are a few points-generating opportunities (notably the gift card deals in the fall), mostly you need to stay at Marriott properties to give you points.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Twickenham
Alas, Marriott Rewards is not Priority Club.
It's also not SPG or HHonors - two programs where it's pretty easy to rack points and Gold (SPG) or Diamond (HH) status with ZERO actual revenue nights.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
I would also say staying at hotels is the best way since you receive night credits to move up to a higher tier which give you better benefits when you stay.

Originally Posted by pinniped
It's also not SPG or HHonors - two programs where it's pretty easy to rack points and Gold (SPG) or Diamond (HH) status with ZERO actual revenue nights.
I do not think that it is easy to rack up points in SPG. (Hilton yes but not SPG)
Aside from cc spend.

Last edited by bdschobel; Aug 16, 2011 at 8:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.